RRRRRR!!

Post by Lord Droke »

Ok it starts like this
Old PC - AMD Athalon XP 2400+ at 2.0GHZ
1 gig memory
128 ATI 9700 All in WOnder Graphics Card
Sound Blaster LS Sound card
DVD drive and DVD rw drive
Ive been having this same damn problem for months. Ill be playing NWN in Hala and out of nowhere my computer will restart. Ive tryed differnt graphis cards, sound cards, even played around with my IRQs I still the same problem. Its whats been keeping me off NWN so much as of late.
So I go out and get a new PC HP Pavillion MEdia center Intel 6400E Core Duo 2.13 gig chip, 2 gigs memory, the works I through a Radeon x1600xt into it just to make sure the graphis would be cutting edge. Now I get a similar problem the damn moniter goes black leaving me in game for a sec (I can still hear the sound) then I press a key it locks. Does anyone have any suggestions. I have tryed everything from changeing configurations to getting a new comp (and no I didnt buy a new comp just for NWN lol), to changeing the graphics settings, lowering them disableing VSync and shiny water nothing seems to help either machine. The new computer should have no problems, just like the old one everything else works fine, Cinema 4D, 3d Max, Vegas, Half Life 2, Prince of Persia 3 all work fine with no errors. Im at a total loss.
"Professional assasination is the highest form of public service" - Chiun, Master of Sinanju
Trinity
Veteran DM

Post by Trinity »

I had a similar problem on my last pc,and I was running an ATI 9800pro,and found an Omega driver cured it,but it doesnt seem with all that it should be your problem.Tho ATI cards and NWN never jived too well.
Lord Droke
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Lord Droke »

Ok this didnt help but it might help someonelse. It seems NWN 1.67 added feature to the NWNplayer.ini file for dual core cpu's and of coarse it is set to off by default, if you have a dual core and are having problems look under game options in you nwnplayer.ini file, you will see a client cpu affinity=-1 change the -1 to 1 and save it. This didnt solve my problem but I was transitioning faster. *Sighs*....back to the drawing board.
"Professional assasination is the highest form of public service" - Chiun, Master of Sinanju
darkserra
Craftmaster

Post by darkserra »

Droke,

Make sure you have the most up-to-date video drivers and chipset drivers.

NWN gave me some fits when I upgraded to a dual-core processor machine. I would also recommend downloading all of your hak paks and any other files you downloaded (music, tlk, etc) in case you have a corrupted file. You didnt mention whether or not you are using the same files from the older computer.

Darkserra
-- [i]People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.[/i]
George Orwell
Lord Droke

Post by Lord Droke »

No, I got them all individually this time, Ill see if there are chipset updates. Now since its HP it downloads updates for itself, would it download them automaticly or would it require a BIOS flash?
darkserra
Craftmaster

Post by darkserra »

Unless the updates says it needs to flash the BIOS, you should be good.

The No. 1 thing I can think of is a video driver problem. Try looking for an updated driver on HPs site, or try using the newest drivers from your vid card maker's site.

If you fresh-installed NWN and all the haks, tlk, etc.. then its more than likely a hardware problem with NWN itself

DS
-- [i]People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.[/i]
George Orwell
Trinity
Veteran DM

Post by Trinity »

I woudnt touch the flash,if anything they have their own site you can log into and it shows all the updates,but only for what the pc came with.May want to call the all mighty techline,and see if they have any issues with any of your added components.Pretty much all ATI drivers are the same from what they say on their site.I still say give Omega drivers a shot...OmegaDrivers.net.They give a lot more settings and overclocking options....and a program to test what your pc is capable of taking.
Trinity
Veteran DM

Post by Trinity »

and btw from what I've heard,not even NWN 2 can utilize the dual core processor for playing,only in the toolset.
Lord Droke

Post by Lord Droke »

So it wont work or just not use its capabilities?
Trinity
Veteran DM

Post by Trinity »

NWN 1 I was told it wont make a difference,as it wont utilize it.
Trinity
Veteran DM

Post by Trinity »

also not sure if you have or not but make sure to go into the BIOS and put the correct settings for the componants you put in,if you havent already,then save and reboot.Only thing I can think of. :?
albonia
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by albonia »

The problem with the old setup sounded like over heating. The only real solution to that is to get another case fan although removing the computer side pannel seems to help sometimes.

As for the new one i would suspect the drivers. As has been said ATI cards and NWN do not seem to get along to well. As for flashing the BIOS if you go down that road i wish you luck i have never had the courage to try it.
A quote from a mage, without my magic I am just an Elf in a bathrobe.
Arkon
World Leader

Post by Arkon »

I would tend to agree that this sounds like an ATI Driver problem. I have an ATI 9800 TX and I had to go out and download specific drivers to allow me to play games like Counter-strike and such. Might be the samish issue.
Respect is Earned! Fear is Demanded!
Chemical-Burn
Knight of the Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Chemical-Burn »

Hm, I have a Radeon 9800xt and i cant say i have ever had my computer random restart while playing NWN. In fact despite all the talk of ATI clashing with NWN i have had minimal problems and most of those from overides anyways. If it helps Here is what im at *shrugs*

CATALYST Version 05.9
2D Version 6.14.10.6571
Display Drier Version 8.172-050830a1-026409C-ATI
Control Panel Version 6.14.10.5166

The only problem i had was goofing around and rotating 90 degree then back and starting NWN it stayed turned 90 Degree and after closing deleted my video card drivers :oops: *quite guilty of screwing around*

And i dont run the OVERDRIVE simply because im scared of frying anything. op temp is 68-70C is that warm/cold? Will the OVERDRIVE do any good even?
Trinity
Veteran DM

Post by Trinity »

Clocking works both ways,thats why you test your system first and see what it recomends to clock your card at,so it allows you to underclock and overclock.
Lord Droke

Post by Lord Droke »

Well, Omega Drivers didnt work, I even messed around with the Fire GL v5200 driver code so it would work with my card, no use. My guess is its more then a driver issue, something inbetween the card the comp tand the game, Ill return it tomoorow and get the GForce equivelent. Its a shame this card really does kick some serious arse. I hope the GForce7900GT is just as effective (as well as get NWN to work properly). I've already pulled the ATI chip out and installed the little GForce 7300 that came with it, seems good now.
As far as the duo processor with NWN here is the link I found it under.

http://nwn.bioware.com/support/known.html#50

It doesn't actually utilize the two cores it makes it run on just one, I guess it can cause problems if you don't
Chemical-Burn
Knight of the Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Chemical-Burn »

You lost me there Trinity. I dont know how to test my system to under or overclock. I just know when i go into advanced settings of my display properties there is a tab for OVERCLOCK where it shows current temp and current MHZ in 2 thermometer styles and just a check box to turn on OVERCLOCK. But i busted my orginal fan and got one that seals to the back of my box and directs the air out of it instead of just circulating the hot air inside my box all day so maybe i can overclock saftely.
terryrayc
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by terryrayc »

I've had problems like that and it always turned out to be overheating on the cpu, turns out the HS was just a little off and when I took it off and put it back on, problem went away.

Try stress testing your cpu to see if that causes the problem.

get mbm5 and see what the temp is of your cpu while running nwn

to stress test download a copy of prime95, that will do it.