badjabadjabadja
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Ladder of death

Post by badjabadjabadja »

Type of Bug/Exploit Missing save?
Area of Bug Exploit (be as specific as possible) Deep Underdark Pit
NPCs involved (Be as specific as possible) none
Chests involved none
Timestamp on when it happened 28/May/07 01:30 BST (GMT+1)
Frequency of occurance. I'm sure i saw a save last time i fell in here.. certainly i fell in 3-4 times last time & didn't experience this..

[Mon May 28 01:32:39] Davilia Chert: Use ladder.
[Mon May 28 01:32:39] Ladder killed Davilia Chert
[Mon May 28 01:32:39] Someone damages Davilia Chert: 2 (2 Divine)
[Mon May 28 01:32:39] You are bleeding to death...
[Mon May 28 01:32:57] Davilia Chert: [Party] WTF!

So.. um.. that's a char with 36 dex & over 300hp.. slips off a ladder & dies.. no save :shock:

I'm sure last time i fell down that damned hole.. I was getting increasing amounts of damage.. but no insta death!

AND.. this time I scrambled out.. into a spawn of those damn slugs-with-legs.. moved a fraction & went straight back down... & yup.. promptly died again :( Sooo.. of the 4 times i fell in.. hit with insta death twice.

Also.. seems the triggers for this (undetectable) trap are a bit miss-placed.. obviously i have no idea how it has been coded.. but the IG assumption to stay away from the edge did not seem to help..
symlink
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by symlink »

Surely this is a bug...

I fall in, sustain damage (which is fine), I climb out, move 1 millimeter, fall in again, sustain damage, climb out, move 1 mm, fall in, sustain damage, move 1mm fall in, sustain damage, move 1mm, fall in and die -- no save, no damage --- nothing.

Not to mention... What makes the second fall so much more dangerous than the first? If you are climbing a ladder you are falling, by definition, less than the height you initially fell from -- and it doesn't catch you unawares. And, how can a 10x10 pit be "invisible"?

Something is surely wrong here...
Last edited by symlink on Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
symlink

Post by symlink »

Okay... Now I click on "climb out" and it does nothing...

I'm stuck!
symlink

Post by symlink »

Finally got out... It turned into this thing of clicking the ladder, choosing option 1, nothing hapening, then again, then again, then I die. My wounds miraculously healed, then I did it again, nothing happened, did it again, and died.

My wounds again healed (never been so lucky!), then I clicked on option 2, then 1 then got out... I thinking clicking 2 then one "reset it"... I'm out, but it was ugly...
Lir'ana
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Lir'ana »

We have asked about this before and this isn't a bug :) and don't think the roll is against dex. or its a combination of dex and another stat. My drow doesn't have much of a problem getting out of the hole and my dex stinks. You learn really quick to hug the walls on this map.
[b]"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."[/b] - [i]General MacArthur [/i]
symlink

Post by symlink »

Lir'ana wrote:We have asked about this before and this isn't a bug :) and don't think the roll is against dex. or its a combination of dex and another stat. My drow doesn't have much of a problem getting out of the hole and my dex stinks. You learn really quick to hug the walls on this map.
While that would be nice to know, that's not really the issue here.. the issue is that the trap is 1) broken (unless clicking option 1 is supposed to do nothing) and 2) it doesn't really make sense IG, for the reasons listed above.
Lir'ana

Post by Lir'ana »

Sorry must have mis understood your post. so use to seeing people post about the ladder itself. My fault. It may have just been bugged out. I know that one of the So'Riatin's are stuck down there right now. will have to have him check to see if he is having same problem. A reset might have fixed it. guess we will have to wait for a dm to check it just to be safe :)
[b]"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."[/b] - [i]General MacArthur [/i]
Lord Droke

Post by Lord Droke »

Ok, I don't think there is a bug. The options clearly state 1 use the ladder and climb out risking death and 2 wait for help (chars who can teleport ). The save is not dex, it is strength. I have tested this with strength spells. I guess it is strength an not dex because you are trying to hold onto the crappy ladder so how nimble you are does not matter.

As far as the "fall in" trigger, it is based on clicking the ground I believe, as I have attacked monsters in the middle of the floor by clicking them and not fallen in, but when I click the ground to get back the wall the char crosses over and falls. In my experience if you don't click along the wall you fall in. I navigate that area all the time with little difficulty, you just need to watch where you click and where you move.

In a nutshell, I don't think it's broken, just be more cautious ( it is the underdarK!! which means DANGER!) or avoid the map altogether, which is easy enough, since you can hit every area down there with out going into it.

I do agree that it makes no sense in game. The idea that you take 20pts damage or so for falling in but die when you slip off the ladder climbing out (which when you think about it means you would not fall as far) does not make any sense to me, I have voiced this before.

I fall in, sustain damage (which is fine), I climb out, move 1 millimeter, fall in again, sustain damage, climb out, move 1 mm, fall in, sustain damage, move 1mm fall in, sustain damage, move 1mm, fall in and die -- no save, no damage --- nothing.
This is probably just a random bug, will probably fix at reset like Lir said....
"Professional assasination is the highest form of public service" - Chiun, Master of Sinanju