XP bug

Please report any bugs you are experiencing here

Moderators: Arkon, Top Team

thetamlyone
Knight of the Holy Church of Big Mouths

XP bug

Post by thetamlyone »

Last night, Unien was in Heidabyr after ending the latest newbie quest. The cookie we were given put her up to second level, but when she took the level, I got a message that said "XP lost: 166" I asked the DM who said that it was resetting to 1100. DM returned my lost xp, by the way, but asked me to report the bug. I do not know if anyone else lost xp on the spot or if it was a result of my taking a level, but I got the impression that others were involved.
silverdragonams
Head DM

Post by silverdragonams »

Its not a bug, this is intended. Once you reach a level your experience is capped and you can not gain more until you level up.
Characters:
[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=Sarakin_Fyne]Sarakin Fyne[/url]

www.anotherworlddesign.etsy.com
ambrosia
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by ambrosia »

Was this a recent change? (maybe I just never noticed)
corwink
Wiki Pioneer

Post by corwink »

This happened to me a long time ago when I held my level for awhile till my paladin prc quest was done.

Be warned if you plan on banking a level for some reason.
Gone
Lady Talia
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by Lady Talia »

I had the same thing happen, my apologies. I didn't wish to lvl in the middle of battle/plot, and I suppose my timing was off in the end. if they need to be taken back, please let me know so I can log in before the next adventure.
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Post by Psye Shaar »

You're fine, don't worry. It's basically to stop people banking levels without permission.

If it's an event, then the DM can soon give you the difference again once it's done.
[i]"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction." [/i]
Blaise Pascal (1623 - 1662)
JD Smith
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by JD Smith »

Is it capped right at the level mark; so that you have exactly what you need to level and nothing more?

I know I don't level up inside a dungeon. Nor do I take the time to do a level up if I leveled while in the middle of a DM event. I have seen it happen in a DM event where someone gained the xp to level and immediatley sat down to level up; telling the DM to 'hold on' as the character leveled up. And it wasn't just a simple fighter level where you get the 3 or 4 new skill points to spend and the +11 hps and you're done and happy. It was a 'bit' more time consuming than that. I thought that rather rude. (not here - another world)

Rather than making the party (and a dm as in the above exapmle) wait on me; I always try to wait until we find a convieneint time to do a level up. And yes; it has happened that the convienient time happened to be just before I logged out for the night.

Just curoius; as if I gain the xp needed in the first hour or so - and I know that I'll lose any xp gained until I level up - I won't go anouther 8 houors or so before leveling.
A.N. Imus: Simon Colin Bernard
Victoria DeVitale: thankya
Victoria DeVitale: I need something shorter
Victoria DeVitale: Sim?
Daecon

Post by Daecon »

Although this is a bug report, I'm not wanting to turn this into a debate, forcing someone to level up the moment they have enough xp to get a level and removing any xp they gained past that seems a little extreme. Wouldn't letting people gain no more than 5-10% toward their next level work out a little less extreme?
silverdragonams
Head DM

Post by silverdragonams »

This is something that has been/could be exploited. Details I can not give you, but it is not up for discussion. Sorry.
Characters:
[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=Sarakin_Fyne]Sarakin Fyne[/url]

www.anotherworlddesign.etsy.com
Sable
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Sable »

its the second eldest exploit in the book and has been closed off by most servers out there in the same way.
thetamlyone

Post by thetamlyone »

Sorry, didn't mean to cause trouble.... Thanks for answering my question.
Daecon

Post by Daecon »

Sable wrote:its the second eldest exploit in the book and has been closed off by most servers out there in the same way.
Actually, if we take only CoPaP this is untrue. Avlis allows you to bank two levels worth of xp before a limitation is applied (not that you should). Arkaz has no limitation (and watched over manually).

Anyway, thanks.