Raise Dead / Resurrection / Greater Restoration after Death

Please report any bugs you are experiencing here

Moderators: Arkon, Top Team

_JM_
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Raise Dead / Resurrection / Greater Restoration after Death

Post by _JM_ »

Gave the new death code a bit of a workout thanks to Nastr0nd’s fun event. Bug report likely not needed as much since was a DM event and Arkon was there and said he was passing on information, but here goes.

First problem encountered was that Raise Dead didn’t work. Jay has never really used Raise Dead but with the new Death Code meaning he’d have to cast Greater Restoration on people to remove the penalties anyway it seemed viable. The advantage of Resurrection over Raise Dead on Ysgard was that it returned people with full hitpoints, but the Greater Restoration would heal them anyway.
(In effect it means that while Jay used to only need one level 7 prayer for Resurrection he now needs a level 5 for Raise Dead plus a level 7 for Greater Restoration to bring people back whole and hearty...or so I had thought.)

Unfortunately when I tried Raise Dead both Phaelan and Ghu’rock seemed to be almost brought back and then die again and go back to the Death Plane.

Fortunately Aranel had arrived and she brought them back with her Rod of Resurrection, which led to the second problem. They had death penalties applied to them and they asked for a Greater Restoration to remove them. However neither the prayers cast by Jay on Phaelan and Ghu’rock nor the scroll Legs used on Phaelan had any effect.

Continuing on Legs was killed and Jay tried to use Resurrection on her (since Raise Dead had not worked I’d gone back to this). The message popped up that "This object cannot be brought back from the dead" so I tried again... but that was a mistake as it had actually worked (so I got the same message again plus the "Their soul does not answer your call" one).

Later poor Legs was killed again and because I’d used both the Resurrections I’d had (see previous paragraph) Jay had to use a scroll. This worked the same way as the prayer, it did work to return her but did give the "This object cannot be brought back from the dead" message.

(And then Aranel and Phaelan (again) got killed and as expected the prayers of Resurrection did bring them back with the same "This object cannot be brought back from the dead" message again.)

So:
Raise Dead. Did not work, seemed to be working (no message I remember seeing) but the people went back to the Death Plane.
(Sudden thought... could it be the CON Penalty being applied and knocking off more hitpoints than the ten they had (since they I don’t think Phaelan or Ghu’Rock had rested in the Halls)? I remember killing people (or even myself) by resting and taking away the CON bonus I’d given them (or myself) with Endurance. On the other hand I'd have thought that would have them come back to by their corpse but then be back in the bleed script rather than straight back to the death plane?)
Resurrection. Did work but gave "This object cannot be brought back from the dead" message.
Greater Restoration. Worked fine healing people but did not work to remove death penalties when tried.
Mabus
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Re: Raise Dead / Resurrection / Greater Restoration after Death

Post by Mabus »

_JM_ wrote: (Sudden thought... could it be the CON Penalty being applied and knocking off more hitpoints than the ten they had (since they I don’t think Phaelan or Ghu’Rock had rested in the Halls)?
No, neither of us rested in the Halls, at least I'm sure Phaelan didn't prior to my arrival.
"If you say you're going crazy then you must be perfectly sane for a lunatic never has doubts about his sanity."
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Post by Psye Shaar »

Did you happen to notice if any stats dropped below 3 at all?
[i]"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction." [/i]
Blaise Pascal (1623 - 1662)
Gregpooh
Knight: Church of Pants

Post by Gregpooh »

When the penalties are applied, anyone greater than 10th level is going to get dropped to bleeding every time they are brought back. Con drop of 5 means -2 or -3 hp per level. If you've only got 10hp when you come back, you'd just die again. Even a Con drop of -1 could potentially be lethal to a high level person who comes back with only 10hp.
It takes a [b]Viking[/b] to Raze a Village.
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Post by Psye Shaar »

Short term solution: Rest or heal before coming out of the halls (if you have someone that's 'raise-happy' without checking the person's ready, then I would simply advise asking them to be patient)

Long term solution: We'll look into it.
[i]"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction." [/i]
Mabus
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Mabus »

Ghu'rock's not of high level. He's only 8 total.
"If you say you're going crazy then you must be perfectly sane for a lunatic never has doubts about his sanity."
Gregpooh
Knight: Church of Pants

Post by Gregpooh »

Mabus wrote:Ghu'rock's not of high level. He's only 8 total.
Even at level 8, A Con drop of as little as 3 points could result in the loss of 16hp. When you only come back with 10, you can see what would happen.
It takes a [b]Viking[/b] to Raze a Village.
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

Just wondering about this, is it possible to remove the resting every 4 hours restriction in the death plane, or add an NPC who can heal you?
If someone dies shortly after resting they are going to have a bit of a wait on their hands.
Grovel puts the P in swimming pool.
Small in stature, large in power, narrow of focus and wide of vision
My play/DM times: [url]http://www.ysgard.org/viewtopic.php?highlight=play&t=7671[/url]
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Post by Psye Shaar »

We're looking at a way to stop the problem occuring without taking away the inconveniences of being near death.
_JM_

Post by _JM_ »

At least if it is the CON penalty being applied that is the cause that means I guessed right, and explains why Resurrection (with the heal to full hitpoints) worked. Looking at standard scripts maybe heal them then harm them?

(have Raise Dead include the healing of Resurrection, or at least heal them by enough the CON penalty wouldn't kill them, and then apply a damage effect with the damage being current hitpoints - 10) ... actually in some ways that would make sense, be at full hitpoints in the Halls where it is just your spirit and then be wounded greviously as you become physical again...)

Thought also occured to wonder if the reason Greater Restoration didn't work was because Phaelan and Ghu'rock had died twice (once and then once when tried to Raise).
silverdragonams
Head DM

Post by silverdragonams »

Both servers have been updated, please let me know if the death system and greater restoration are working correctly now.
Nastr0nd
Major DM

Post by Nastr0nd »

Nerice and Chad were in the lycan caves on Ysgard and Chad was sent to the Halls of Death.
Nerice tried to ressurect Chad with a Rod of Ressurection but got the message "Their soul does not answer your call.".
Rods, scrolls and DM Spells all produced the the same message. Obviously I'm a little reluctant to experiment to see what does and doesn't work with PCs.
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, or if it works now since theupdate, but if you move someones corpse (take it out of the beholder caves for example) then put it down and try a raise it doesnt work.
Grovel puts the P in swimming pool.
Small in stature, large in power, narrow of focus and wide of vision
My play/DM times: [url]http://www.ysgard.org/viewtopic.php?highlight=play&t=7671[/url]
Nastr0nd
Major DM

Post by Nastr0nd »

I don't think the corpse was moved. Will confirm if it was but assume it wasn't if I don't post further here.
ambrosia

Post by ambrosia »

Nope. No move. He died right where his body was.
Verandis

Post by Verandis »

Nastr0nd wrote:Nerice and Chad were in the lycan caves on Ysgard and Chad was sent to the Halls of Death.
Nerice tried to ressurect Chad with a Rod of Ressurection but got the message "Their soul does not answer your call.".
We had a similar situation happen with Alysia in the Lycanthrope caves, so the same server (Ysgard.) Alysia was sent to "A Glimpse of the Afterlife." Raise dead scrolls gave the message "Their Soul does not answer your call."

This was yesterday afternoon.
silverdragonams
Head DM

Post by silverdragonams »

Should be fixed now