Psionic Receptacle

Please report any bugs you are experiencing here

Moderators: Arkon, Top Team

Rudiki
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Psionic Receptacle

Post by Rudiki »

I don't know if this is a bug or not, but I just noticed that the gems Lexy uses to store PSPs are now storing 1/3 fewer PSPs than they used to. Intentional, or not?

Thanks!
13thHour : [Tell] *your alignment has long since passed any possible further move to 'sexy' due to reinventing the scale*

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Lexy]Lexy on the Wiki![/url]
LadyPhoenix77
Knight: Church of Pants
Location: Whats the use of have names if you lose all your friends. That's where I'm from.

Post by LadyPhoenix77 »

Don't know all the exact details, but this is from one of the Avlis threads, and I believe how receptacle is working now.
Kinarr wrote:I know it's popular to say such and such psionic power has been nerfed, but really, in all cases, the goal is to fix them in order to prevent them from being abused. That is usually done by making them closer to the PnP version, as is the case with Receptacle.

When we first put this power in, I was expecting to see some nice RP interaction between psions for an exchange economy with Imbued Gems (even though that's not how they were intended in PnP). The problem came when psions began storing several thousands of PSP in their inventory, which severely upset the balance of the class. So, it was decided to implement them as in PnP.
Psionics Handbook wrote:No matter how many receptacles he has, a psionicist can never store more PSPs than his maximum total. (For example, if his usual maximum is 100 PSPs, he can store no more than 100.) Only the psionicist who placed the points in the item can use them.
And this is how it is now. You can't store more than your current max PSP, and you can't drop them because only the psion who made the imbued gems can use them.

As to your suggestions, it won't be possible to make them stackable, but it does make sense to make them weightless, so I'll do that. We won't be allowing trade of imbued gems, because of the code that keeps track of your total PSP stored (and it's not allowed in PnP), nor will they be able to recharge another psion. But, I have recently coded a related option (based on the receptacle power) that will allow one psion to transfer PSP to another psion. It's not live yet, but you can expect that soon.
Might try to figure out if that is what is happening with you or not.
Rudiki
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Rudiki »

Thanks for the answer!

This:

"No matter how many receptacles he has, a psionicist can never store more PSPs than his maximum total. (For example, if his usual maximum is 100 PSPs, he can store no more than 100.) Only the psionicist who placed the points in the item can use them."

Is how it has been working on Hala for some time now, and this doesn't seem to have changed in the recent update.

What I'm curious about is this:

Different kinds of gems store different amounts of PSPs. Some kinds of gems (the less expensive/more plentiful ones) are not good enough to store any PSPs. Through experimenting, Psions can discover which kinds of gems store the most PSPs. All gems of a certain type (Cut Rubies, for instance) all store the same fixed number of PSPs.

What I found was that gems that used to store a certain number of PSPs are now storing a different, lower number of PSPs. I was wondering if this was intentional or not (I'm suspecting not ;) ).

Hope that explains it better; thanks!

p.s.: Just to clarify, it's not a big deal as it isn't a big inconvenience and I can easily live with it.
13thHour : [Tell] *your alignment has long since passed any possible further move to 'sexy' due to reinventing the scale*

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Lexy]Lexy on the Wiki![/url]
LadyPhoenix77
Knight: Church of Pants
Location: Whats the use of have names if you lose all your friends. That's where I'm from.

Post by LadyPhoenix77 »

I will probably have to check with Calzier to see. Basically all the psionics should be working the same on Hala/Ysgard as they do on Avlis. The only difference is Summon Planar Creature, which I am fairly certain I know the issue with that, just a matter of getting the rest of the pieces to make it work.
Calzier
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by Calzier »

Difficult to tell if this is a bug or not - easiest way to check would be to try the same kind of gemstone on Hala and on Avlis; if they storing different PSP it's a bug, otherwise, just part of the "unification" :)

The only issue that I can think of that may crop up is if Avlis and Hala have gemstones with different resrefs. This could lead to one of two situations (1) a 'sapphire' on Hala stores a different amount to a 'sapphire' on Avlis; or (2) A Hala gemstone wont store PSP if used on Avlis, but will on Hala, and visa versa. Might crop up if gems are produced through crafting, and new models have been introduced without the psionics code (on Avlis or Hala) catching up.

When I next get a chance to log in with Elladin, I'll run him over to Hala and run a test of a few stones.

C.
Calzier
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by Calzier »

Just done a quick test with a sapphire (no idea which world Elladin picked it up, just one in his inventory) - stores the same PSP on both Avlis and Hala/Ysgard.