Language Widgets

This is for questions about rules. This is NOT for complaining about rules. It is for clarification purposes

Moderator: Top Team

Michiko
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Michiko »

corwink wrote:And if you speak animal you can emote growling and whing and chirping and other stuff so people who can't understand it think you've gone crazy :D

O.o is that why you think I'm crazy Corwink? Poor Michi just likes to purr and mewl afterall!.

------------------------------------------------------------
Michiko Maeda,
Priestess, druid, and wielder of the Bopping Stick!
JD Smith
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by JD Smith »

Gregpooh wrote:It's an Item that lets your character speak in another language. When you activate it, only people with the same type of language widget can understand what you are saying. Everyone else sees nonsense..
So .. if you know multiple languages .. you need one for every language besides the common?
A.N. Imus: Simon Colin Bernard
Victoria DeVitale: thankya
Victoria DeVitale: I need something shorter
Victoria DeVitale: Sim?
Trinity
Veteran DM

Post by Trinity »

The only wigets that are handed out are ones that your pc class/race is. Only way to obtain another language is through extensive IC RP and board rp of being taught from someone that speaks the native language.
Mind you not all wigets are handed out freely...for instance just because you are an Aasimar doesnt get you a celestial wiget right away.

And yes there are multiple wigets.
ChukchiDog
Knight: Church of Pants
Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Post by ChukchiDog »

Gildan is a Ranger, so he has the Animal Speech widget. However, he has never learned to speak any animal "language", except maybe horse. Are the widgets representing an actual universal animal language (in which case Gil would not understand Animal Speech), or do they represent that those who spend time observing animals closely will come to understand what their normal body language and vocalizations mean (in which case he might well understand). If the latter, I could see Gil understanding something like "I'm hungry", or "Follow me", or "I'm nervous because there are so many people here", or even "I don't like that hat he's wearing", but not "Yellow is my favorite color" or "Do you think Spring will ever come?" Should people who use the Animal Speech widget try to limit themselves to things animals might reasonably say? Thanks!
Gildan: "I'm not as good as I once was, but i'm as good once as I ever was."

"I'm stubborn as those garbage bags that time cannot decay; I'm junk, but I'm still holding up this little wild bouquet." -Leonard Cohen, "Democracy"
Gregpooh
Knight: Church of Pants

Post by Gregpooh »

ChukchiDog wrote:Gildan is a Ranger, so he has the Animal Speech widget. However, he has never learned to speak any animal "language", except maybe horse. Are the widgets representing an actual universal animal language (in which case Gil would not understand Animal Speech), or do they represent that those who spend time observing animals closely will come to understand what their normal body language and vocalizations mean (in which case he might well understand). If the latter, I could see Gil understanding something like "I'm hungry", or "Follow me", or "I'm nervous because there are so many people here", or even "I don't like that hat he's wearing", but not "Yellow is my favorite color" or "Do you think Spring will ever come?" Should people who use the Animal Speech widget try to limit themselves to things animals might reasonably say? Thanks!
That sounds reasonable to me. Considering the Int stats of most animals, I don't think having "Narnia" type talking animals is very likely. There will be animals that stand out (like the spawn of Fenrir). If their vocal structures can not produce human sounding speach, then I'd imagine the "animal" language would be useful for a slightly higher level of communication with them. Still, I don't think anyone expects "Dr Doolitle".

Just my two cents.
It takes a [b]Viking[/b] to Raze a Village.
NWDuneAuron
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by NWDuneAuron »

Most animals have int and wisdom through the floor, unless they have Awaken cast on them by a druid. So keep your animal communications brief and primal, as it were, unless you're dealing with an atypical animal.
pp2
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by pp2 »

NWDuneAuron wrote:Most animals have int and wisdom through the floor, unless they have Awaken cast on them by a druid. So keep your animal communications brief and primal, as it were, unless you're dealing with an atypical animal.
About Wisdom: since that is the stat that governs awareness of your surroundings, I thought animals generally have Wisdom in the average range?

I checked the list of animals in the D&D 3.5 system reference document, and most of the animals have Wisdom of 12 or better, and none of them has worse than an 11. On the other hand, they all have really crappy Charisma. (Except for wolverines, which for some reason have a higher Charisma than any other animal.)

Maybe that's a change from 3.0, or is different in NWN?
blue wolfy
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by blue wolfy »

i know coran is from avlis but from day one shes lived mostly as an animal (wolf, houst cat, kitten, dire tiger, white tiger, etc), even when taking a 'humaniod' form shes picked those closer to animal (aka rakasha, lupinal, avrial, half dragon, etc), as an animal i've always kept her 'speach' short and simple, growls wines etc, with more ephasis on emotes like *paws at ground* or *tilts her head perking her ears as she listens to the wind*. Just seemed more natural for an animal to talk that way then anything, since most animals in rl comunicate most thru scent and body language.

{{though I would love for coran to have an animal widget to show she would understand them thru personal experiance, i know she aint a druid or ranger and figure this falls into the "no prc, etc, thing for non-native PCs"}}