About RP emotes posts involving NPCs in playerhouses.

This is for questions about rules. This is NOT for complaining about rules. It is for clarification purposes

Moderator: Top Team

Moonyju
Minor DM

About RP emotes posts involving NPCs in playerhouses.

Post by Moonyju »

Hi all!

I haven't found anything directly related to this. I know we can't post RP stuff involving NPCs actions outside of their scripted conversation/items sold. (As explained here.)

However, I'm wondering what are the limits or if that same rule applies if a player buys a house and adds an NPC in it?

Can the player post stuff involving that NPC, describing what the NPC says or does, *inside* the house?
Is it different if the NPC is an animal rather than a humanoid?

More specifically, as many of you know, I plan on adding Yana's father in her house, *IF* it is approved. What are the RP rules with him there?

Also, for a little while, at the moment, there are NPC guests in Yana's house. What are the RP rules with them in there?

Always talking about board posts, of course. I'll try and explain better if the above isn't very clear, if need be. >.< :)
silverdragonams
Head DM

Post by silverdragonams »

NPC's that are purchased with a house you can speak for, so long as it's reasonable and doesn't involve them interacting with other NPCs that don't belong to you. Keep in mind, purchased NPCs are for the most part CR 1/8, 1hp commoners. They will not do anything to endanger themselves.

Also, they can not pass along IC information to you without a DM present. So, Yana's dad can't tell her stories of Ysgardian lore, nor can he tell Yana about someone sneaking around the house while she is away, unless a DM actually passes you that information.

Guests that are present by a DM's interaction belong to that DM only. You can not speak for them.
Moonyju
Minor DM

Post by Moonyju »

Thanks for the quick reply, SD!

That goes along the line of what I was thinking, but I wanted to make sure.

I assumed that having daddy say "Oh I chopped some wood for the fireplace, today... and there's some stew ready, if you're hungry." or some light conversation like that, would be ok. But wanted to confirm.

And yes, he won't be an uber NPC, just your regular level 1 commoner thing. However, I just thought of another question.

The rules here state that:
These NPCs can have a CR no higher than 1/8. They can not have any feats, skills or special abilities and may be no higher than a level 1 commoner (or animal, or whatever race is appropriate). They can not have items other than basic clothing.
So.... are crutches ok? I haven't found crutches in the toolset, so I was thinking of a walking stick. Just your ordinary branch picked up in the forest, kinda thing. No properties on it. Or is that considered a weapon nonetheless?
silverdragonams
Head DM

Post by silverdragonams »

Yeah, I think a stick should be alright :)
Moonyju
Minor DM

Post by Moonyju »

Sheesh you're quick! :lol:

Thank you! :)