My little dreams

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

Zombie
Veteran DM

My little dreams

Post by Zombie »

So, I’m in a mood to dream about things that aren’t but I so wish they were. Not that I can actually make them happen but it is fun to dream! What’s the point? Just to post I suppose…..
Here they are in no particular order:

1. Pale Masters suffer if they don’t worship Shagarath. Ysgard is positive energy so yeah make em burn!
2. No one can summon undead unless they follow Hel or Shagarath.
3. Summon spells summon different critters based on caster deity and alignment or perhaps a character researches a special variant! Yay Malik and his Mockery of Aranel!
4. You can give equipment to a summon and they will use it and either drop it when they are unsommened or in some cases have it on them next time they are summoned. Yay Malik and his Mockery of Aranel, now with kitten leather armor!!!!
5. Crossbows were actually useful, rather than just cool looking. But that’s a D&D issue ;)
6. My Paladin had a unicorn!
7. I could get an item that when used spawned a random dungeon for me to adventure in. Hell, I could even give out a few as a dm event and be super lazy.
8. A quest to map locations by filling in a percentage of the mini map.
9. A quest to go to a random location and kill a monster that spawns there when you are on the quest, then return for NPC praise. Like a cross between the Brandon elementals and killing the spider king.
10. You get better/different/interesting loot when partied.
11. Each dungeon had a special chest with a chance of having ‘better’ loot.
12. Random ‘boss’ monsters that drop something you can turn into an NPC for loot and glory. Like the thunder lizards that Brynja has several scales of.
13. Socketable items like in Diablo or Torchlight. Gems/Runes could be craftable, loot drops or DM drops.
14 Consumables like potions and scrolls that ‘stack’ to increase their caster level. Say 2 potions of strength CL 3 combine to make 1 potion of strength CL 4, or what ever. High CL consumables could be used in crafting so now those throw away items are sought after. Or perhaps a ‘vending machine’ where you can combine consumables in this way.
15. Treasure maps like Arkaz has, but with stuff you want to find! As a side note I am thinking of a way that I can make this happen, but more as a DM event where I hide a token and whoever finds it can get a reward.
16. Donation chests at temples that remember the GP value of stuff they have had. When a faith earns enough gold, the team upgrade their temple with NPCs or decorations or in game parties.
Grovel puts the P in swimming pool.
Small in stature, large in power, narrow of focus and wide of vision
My play/DM times: [url]http://www.ysgard.org/viewtopic.php?highlight=play&t=7671[/url]
davicurtistaggart
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

little dreams

Post by davicurtistaggart »

cool,although SOMEbody is loudly booing malik and his mockery of aranel about kitten armour!also,does number 6 mean that your paladin is still...unicorn-worthy?and does this present a challenge to alexis? :) seriously,these would be wonderful if possible
Sable

Post by Sable »

make it puppy armour and you've got a deal
"Abash'd the Devil stood, And felt how awful goodness is, and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely” John Milton
Moonyju
Minor DM

Post by Moonyju »

*adds a 5.a*

*crosses out crossbows and writes slings*

Better slings and bullets! ;)
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

Well the problem I have with crossbows is their rate of fire. I love the look of them. I think a warrior pointing a crossbow is a dude but one with a bow is robin hood or a jerk. Now certainly I have made equipment choices for flavour over power. Brynja and her Kamas or Belinde and her Warhammer, but they arent all that sub par compared to the 'obvious' choice of shortsword or longsword.

Crossbows however have a reduced number of shots per round and dont add a strength bonus to damage (although NWN might add str?). ITs just the way it is in D&D.

So it isnt that the crossbows available arent as good as the bows you can get, it is that the rules for crossbows suck.
My play/DM times: [url]http://www.ysgard.org/viewtopic.php?highlight=play&t=7671[/url]
Moonyju
Minor DM

Post by Moonyju »

Rapid Reload feat! ;)

Same as Rapid Shot, but for crossbows. There are some that add str, I think. Mind you, I don't know all of the crossbows offered.
But I Ain't Got Wings
Major DM

Post by But I Ain't Got Wings »

crossbows are not THAT bad, the extra damage is nice, and bolts are always around since nobody uses them, also the rapid reload feat thing works I THINK. http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Rapid_reload

your scales.. I am looking to put in a collector quest for some of those items that are found on some of my lizards and stuff, still waiting from somebody to find Kalhass The Unliving though :)
_JM_
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by _JM_ »

Rapid Reload works. Didn't for a long while but was fixed in the final patch for NWN. So poor Jayem suffered a broken feat for a few years and then suffered not having that and being on one attack a round rather than four for months until he finally got it back.

(* remembers being frustrated by this and being surprised that even with emoting about fingers fumbling the reload people didn't notice "pew" rather than "pew. pew. pew. pew." *)

Heavy Crossbow is 1d10 compared with 1d8 for a Longbow and 19-20 / x2 criticals compared with 20 / x3. Jayem's 8k Crossbow he's had for years (and is collecting tokens towards having OOC upgraded / IC recast in more exotic metals) has Mighty+3 so they can have strength bonus to damage.
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

Ahh huh! So spend a feat to look cool, ive done that before :D

Or try and get a custom 'automatic' crossbow that already has the feat on it! oooooo sexy.
Black_Blooded
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by Black_Blooded »

From a Technical point of view
-----------------------------------

Pros:
-Heavy Crossbows have a higher base damage then longbows
-Better Crit range then longbows
-Simple, wizard, rogue, monk weapon proficiency (don't need martial, or a frilly elf to use)
-Low strength does not affect damage

Cons:
-Heavy Corssbows require Rapid Reload to make use of more then 1 attack/round due to BAB (did you know your # of attacks isn't affected by SLOW with this feat :twisted: )
-Heavy, usually 3 times the weight of a longbow
-Can't use Rapid Shot
-Lower Crit multiplier then Bows

There are only 4 reasons the Longbow is better:
Arcane Archer
Lighter Weapon
Don't need the extra feat Rapid Reload
Can get an extra attack with Rapid Shot
Moonyju
Minor DM

Post by Moonyju »

Zombie wrote:Ahh huh! So spend a feat to look cool, ive done that before :D

Or try and get a custom 'automatic' crossbow that already has the feat on it! oooooo sexy.
Or do as stupid me did -- spend a feat for that one when your character uses a bow....

....and when you finally know enough (!) of the mechanics to see that you goofed, your character already has a DM-reward Custom-made bow that has the rapid shot feat on it... and unlimited ammo... :lol:
galen_macbyrne
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by galen_macbyrne »

What gets me is when I have a PC with all the feats needed (either learned or on equipped items or the crossbow itself) for Rapid Shot, as well as an item with Rapid Shot, and when I shoot my heavy cross, I don't get the *$&^%($&# Rapid Shot! Even after the 1.69 Rapid Reload fix (which he also has).

Oh, tack onto the list, that there should be an equivalent to the Keen spell for Piercing weapons, and another one for Bludgeoning weapons. (Needlesharp? Impact?)
_JM_
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by _JM_ »

Description of Rapid Shot says " (excluding crossbows) ".

Keen Edge was hooked to work on piercing weapons. No "Weapon of Impact" in NWN but would be nice for most clerics.

With Jayem and crossbow it is not entirely to “look cool”. Level 1 Jayem killing crop rats in Elysia was given a nice heavy crossbow and a bag of crossbow bolts. Although this weapon shocked him at first he learned to use it better rather than switching to a longbow, as he could have done at level 3 (Cleric 2 / Fighter 1). He did trade up from that gift eventually, by spending the 8k on the docks of Mikona. I do admit though that when he was delevelled I did consider switching to longbow to save the Rapid Reload feat (or enquiring about how many tokens that feat would cost) and it was that he just doesn’t look right with a longbow that decided me.

Automatic Crossbow?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repeating_crossbow

Other thoughts on Zombie list:

1- Seems fair they might need Shagarath’s aid to not suffer.
2- Seems fair that with the nature of the plane aid from Hel or Shagarath might be needed to summon undead.
3- On Hala and Arkaz Summon Creature I to IX have options under “crafting menu” to select what to summon (not sure about Avlis) and on Arkaz the list also includes what the alignment of the creature is. But even without that you can make a good guess on Hala at what is appropriate. Gate on Avlis and Arkaz have a list of options and what plane you are contacting and what alignment that is (Avlis has conversation box pop up, Arkaz list under “crafting menu”) so you can again make a choice. Gate on Hala does seem to depend on alignment as no choices but different people get different things like Jayem gets a Golem-monk and Garthond gets an Archon-lassie. Not sure what Jayem would research, though a blue lady with blue dragon wings and tail was one idea. Not sure how this would be implemented though likely be fairly simple for a script to check the character name and look up a creature blueprint to spawn in the same way as Hala gate looks at the alignment.
4- Problem with being able to give a summons equipment is that you would get people who are reasonably well off and would equip it better than most PCs of that level. Would prefer the summons to keep the equipment rather than having to cart it around. Of course combining a custom summons and being able to equip it makes this seem more and more like one of the NPC companions in a single player game, who are always there and obedient and don’t go afk… :P
5- As said in thread derail they seem quite useful.
6- Good fortune.
7- Not sure how that would work. Are random dungeon generators though (I think) so could have generate and teleport, maybe similar to the ships on Nuvar where teleport entire party and then chance of having to defend the ship. Except with a certainty of having to fight and rather more to do between in and out.
8- Suppose could add a scatter of waypoint things and check for proximity so could tell if wandered all the mini-map, but not sure.
9- Brandon Elementals work so already got script for idea of “if empty jar then spawn this” and the “Fed-Ex” quests already give a variety of “go here”.
10- That would encourage trying to find people to go venturing with, but finding people is better anyway. Even if you have your custom summons you have equipped very well and have started to talk to (like Jayem did with Bluey and, even if a Golem, he does say “thank you Brass Monkey”).
11- I do recall in the Nightfang Gnolls on Avlis people saying the highest level character should open some chests as they thought the contents depended on the level of the person opening it. And I think a check on character level or a random roll to spawn different things in a chest should be possible. Same principle as the random-NPCs appearances I tried to do for Avlis 2 with a random number and then different clothes created on and equipped.
12- Seems fair, be like the Goblin Shaman Rings or Mad Cow Hearts or Bandit Insignia except you don’t know where to go.
13- This is sounding a little like the Martial Crafting Thread with a temporary boost item. Except with the need for the thing to have a socket as well as having something you can put into that socket, so would need a pair of items. Also sounds a little like how I’ve been role-playing Jayem’s cleric rod as sometimes I remember to suggest he is slotting the Sky Crystal into it to focus the prayer through.
14- There are some potions and scrolls where they are useful magic but rather too weak a version of it so sufficient alchemy to distil and purify weak potions down to more powerful versions or sufficient artificing to channel the power of two scrolls to reinforce each other in a better fresh one would be useful. And a vending machine to automate this might act as a Gold Sink.
15- The search would be the fun of the treasure map.
16 - This sounds like a lot of work to update areas with more decorations (which could cause lag) or NPCs. But a running tally of donations that DMs could check if they felt like running a party event sounds like it would be relatively easy to implement.
Moonyju
Minor DM

Post by Moonyju »

Also...
Zombie wrote:14 Consumables like potions and scrolls that ‘stack’ to increase their caster level. Say 2 potions of strength CL 3 combine to make 1 potion of strength CL 4, or what ever. High CL consumables could be used in crafting so now those throw away items are sought after. Or perhaps a ‘vending machine’ where you can combine consumables in this way.
_JM_ wrote:14- There are some potions and scrolls where they are useful magic but rather too weak a version of it so sufficient alchemy to distil and purify weak potions down to more powerful versions or sufficient artificing to channel the power of two scrolls to reinforce each other in a better fresh one would be useful. And a vending machine to automate this might act as a Gold Sink.
The 2nd edition of the collectible cards (the foil wrapped ones, with spells on them) did stack, once unwrapped, with identical cards to make a more powerful version of the spell on the card. I don't know how many cards max a stack could get, though. However, it shows that it's possible to do so. =)
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

They did indeed stack. Nas made them after an ideas session we had. I suspect it would be hard to make current consumeables stack that way without having to place them in a container.

Could run it like the magic cube in diablo2 where yo ustick in some potionsand perhaps agem and get a better potion out of it. Damn that would be fun. Could make some creepy recipies using the various fun little loot items that are around like the sun disk or jumping jacks or the goat of terror.

I bet that sort of thing is a silly amount of work though!
Doug Danger
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by Doug Danger »

Zombie wrote:They did indeed stack. Nas made them after an ideas session we had. I suspect it would be hard to make current consumeables stack that way without having to place them in a container.

Could run it like the magic cube in diablo2 where yo ustick in some potionsand perhaps agem and get a better potion out of it. Damn that would be fun. Could make some creepy recipies using the various fun little loot items that are around like the sun disk or jumping jacks or the goat of terror.

I bet that sort of thing is a silly amount of work though!
There was a hurodrick ( spelling) cube script for NWN at one time, a friend of mine was playing around with it... not sure if it worked correctly though, this was back in 2004... It was my favorite thing about diablo 2 ;) some of the stuff that poped out of it could be made more powerfull than the weapons that diablo 2 provided, I also miss the armor and weapon sets..
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

Armor and weapon sets are something that can be done. The HOTUD expansion has those lord nasher items that you can wear and if you wear all of them you get an additional benefit if i remember correctly.

I dont think its something thats worth doing on our servers though. well at least my characters tend to have a few bits of fav gear that they wouldnt swap out.
MissyFlows
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by MissyFlows »

Zombie wrote:Armor and weapon sets are something that can be done.
actually i'd love that
Sable

Post by Sable »

Ditto, I hate swapping gear in and out.
"Abash'd the Devil stood, And felt how awful goodness is, and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely” John Milton