Attention Crafters! Please Read

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

silverdragonams
Head DM

Attention Crafters! Please Read

Post by silverdragonams »

Crafters of all kinds!

I have been working all week on rewriting the crafting system and now I need guinea pigs! Before I get into specifics, let me explain why my goals are.

1. Improvements in user friendliness, especially for us old folks with achy hands and bad memories.
-less clicking
-recipes will be stored in the system. Once you figure it out and successfully make an item, the recipe will be visible in the crafting menu from then on.
-more compatibility with Arkaz, Avlis crafting. Our system will still be unique, but it will be more intuitive for those from off-world who would like to try it out.
-a simpler system overall that will be easier for other builders to expand on.

2. Less overhead for the server
-improvements to the way recipes are stored and accessed
-many items will be dynamically created through scripting rather than pulled from the item pallet. This will free up room in our pallet to expand on other things (like artificing)

Given all this, there are a couple things you should be aware of.

Firstly, there will be a new XP system. Current crafting XP WILL BE CONVERTED. You should be at about an equivalent level to make about the same things you are now once you switch over. However, the new system will have about 20 levels, giving us plenty of room to expand. If you are a master craftsman now you may only be level 10 or so in the new system.

I am aiming to keep recipes and ingredients as they are as much as possible. Do expect ~some~ recipe changes, but most of these will be to make the recipe more efficient. I promise you wont end up with no knowledge of recipes and chests full of useless ingredients.

Most of this is already written. I am at the point where I need a few people to test things to ensure I am on the right track. I would greatly appreciate anyone who takes a few minutes to do these tests and report back here.

Without further ado:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The first test is some changes to mining. At the Ysgard side of the Great Divide, the Skadi Mining Company has left some "Experimental Ore". Please try to mine some of each ore, and report back the following:

Did you get ore from all three placeables?

If so, place them in a text based p-chest or merchant. Do they stack correctly? They should stack with experimental ore of the same type, but not with regular ore that you normally mine.

If you place a whole bag of experimental ore in the placeable to be sucked into it's inventory, do they lose their name or description?

Does the experimental ore work with the forge, and give you the right ingots? Did you test the forge before or after placing the ore in storage?

Thanks!
Characters:
[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=Sarakin_Fyne]Sarakin Fyne[/url]

www.anotherworlddesign.etsy.com
Freeze01
Resident DM Griefer

Post by Freeze01 »

First off... awesome!!!

Second, was able to mine all three the containers
Third, the experimental ore was made into ingots fine.

Didnt test the container things. Or stacking with normal ore.
Akai
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Akai »

Did you get ore from all three placeables? Yes

If so, place them in a text based p-chest or merchant. Do they stack correctly? They should stack with experimental ore of the same type, but not with regular ore that you normally mine. Worked as intended

If you place a whole bag of experimental ore in the placeable to be sucked into it's inventory, do they lose their name or description? Not the name, forgot to check the description

Does the experimental ore work with the forge, and give you the right ingots? Did you test the forge before or after placing the ore in storage? Yes, both
_JM_
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by _JM_ »

Jayem got Ore from all three placeables. The yellow text said “generic ore” but the names of “Experimental Copper Ore”, “Experimental Bronze Ore”, and “Experimental Iron Ore” were correct in inventory. Jayem went to the forge at Heidabyr and smelted four of each sort and got ingots of the correct metal from them. Then he mined some mined "normal" Copper, Bronze, and Iron and, as that is the closest text-based p-chest he has access to, went to the Snack Bar.

Added one of each sort of experimental Ore to the Snack Bar and that worked fine. Added a second of each sort and that stacked so was one entry with two items for each sort. Then added a couple of each sort of the “normal” ones and those added fine as separate entries to the experimental. Unloaded Ore from Snack Bar and tried dragging an Ore Sack of Experimental Copper Ore back to it, and found this was five of Experimental Copper and one of Experimental Bronze, so the names were preserved and description still said "This is your basic ore."

Then after thinking I was done I realised Jayem needed to go back to Heidabyr to test the Experimental Ore now it had been in and out of the Snack Bar’s inventory. I knew which I’d done that to as I’d not put them back into Ore Sacks. All three sorts smelted and gave the correct sort of metal.
silverdragonams
Head DM

Post by silverdragonams »

*doesthehappydragondanceofjoy*

Thanks for testing and being so quick about it! It looks like this is going in the right direction, so I hope to have the next phase done soon.
Characters:
[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=Sarakin_Fyne]Sarakin Fyne[/url]

www.anotherworlddesign.etsy.com