If you could fix something in NWN, what would it be?

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

Zombie
Veteran DM

If you could fix something in NWN, what would it be?

Post by Zombie »

If you could 'fix' one thing in NWN what would it be? I 'm tempted to say overhaul the graphics engine but I think what bothers me the most is PRCs not having their own spell list.

Best example is BlackGuard who in pen and paper get spells very similar to a Paladin but in NWN just get a few crap special abilities 1/day to compensate.
Grovel puts the P in swimming pool.
Small in stature, large in power, narrow of focus and wide of vision
My play/DM times: [url]http://www.ysgard.org/viewtopic.php?highlight=play&t=7671[/url]
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

I suppose something else that bugs me a bit is the 3 class limit. Means I cant play my Ranger / Fighter / Wizard / Barbarian / Deep Wood Sniper / Arcane Archer
Although I suspect such a character would be frowned upon ;)
Grovel puts the P in swimming pool.
Small in stature, large in power, narrow of focus and wide of vision
My play/DM times: [url]http://www.ysgard.org/viewtopic.php?highlight=play&t=7671[/url]
galen_macbyrne
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by galen_macbyrne »

Damn, there's so much...
Skills that are broken, and don't do what they are supposed to do:
Whirlwind - which would be great and worth the feat investment if it did what it says it does, and doesn't cause a character to be unable to hit things in combat (bug). As it is, all it does is be a prereq for WM, and is never used, not even given a quick slot so it can't be used by mistake. Some CoPaP worlds seem to have different code for it, though, where it IS somewhat useful and doesn't force you to log if accidentally utilized. But it still doesn't work as advertised - and combat modes don't factor in to these extra attacks.
Expertise/Improved Expertise/Power Attack/Improved Power Attack - Combat modes that don't stay engaged in combat, even when you are surrounded by enemies and still in combat, but you kill the one enemy you hit this round. All of a sudden, your AC drops by 5 or 10 or you do 5 or 10 less points damage, while there are still enemies all around you trying to hit you? Bah!
Use Magic Device - doesn't allow usage of paladin holy sword item, or usage of items limited by gender.
Metamagic rods that don't work!
Sneak attacks that work when they shouldn't - Rogues that get sneak attacks when in Darkness and you have Ultravision, See Invisibility AND True Sight up, for example. Or because of, say, a movement-limiting spell, that you wouldn't be affected by because of spell resistance.
Sable
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Sable »

Biggest thing, expose the whole of the engine to scripting, so that there aren't parts that a mod builder can't change (eg pick pockets)

Change from 3.0 to Pathfinder to get a more balanced system and try and move away from the splash powerbuilds.

Engine to improve multiplayer

UI and gameplay to make it a little less simplistic, and add a greater level of personal player skill to combat and a physics engine - move away from point and click and to something closer to the DDO skill based engine.

Text to speech/speech to speech with the voice mods to change to the voice chosen on creation. (not as far out there as people may think, it's something that was being developed in EVE online a few years back)

Graphics would be nice but surprisingly less of an issue for me (some updates to take advantage of modern cards, but happy with basics if it keeps the mod building ability)
"Abash'd the Devil stood, And felt how awful goodness is, and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely” John Milton
Freeze01
Resident DM Griefer

Post by Freeze01 »

See above...

and....

I'd like a parry that actually works.

I dont care for stacking ability bonuses, but that is a 3.0 v. 3.5 thing.
albonia
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by albonia »

If we are talking one thing first choice is graphics.

But NWN 2 had better graphics so...

Maybe the scripting or maybe the D & D rules. Not easy really NWN had a certain something that keeps us playing after all this time. But NWN 2 did not nor it seems has Neverwinter from what i have read.
A quote from a mage, without my magic I am just an Elf in a bathrobe.
Rudiki
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Rudiki »

I wanna use a whip left-handed. :) Plus I'm sure a bunch of other things, but that one sprang to mind.
13thHour : [Tell] *your alignment has long since passed any possible further move to 'sexy' due to reinventing the scale*

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Lexy]Lexy on the Wiki![/url]
Shiba_Ujimitsu
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by Shiba_Ujimitsu »

Parry to be useful for more then just the first attack of a flurry.
-Maybe have it set AC to the same as the Skill, therefor helping to avoid attacks even if there is no check to "riposte" more then 3 times a round.
Tel
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by Tel »

If I could fix only ONE thing about NWN...
I would change/add chat filters. I would adjust so you could filter/chose color for

Code: Select all

Chat:
Tell
Say
Say (from party member)
Say (from set to hostile)
Party
Server, DM, Shout

Combat:
Player / Party / non-Party PC / non-Party NPC (Friendly / Neutral)
Preparing (spell / ability / item)
Using (spell / ability)
Outgoing (damage)
Incoming (damage)
Incoming (Spell - Save)
Incoming (Spell non-damaging effects)

Non-Party NPC (hostile)
Preparing (spell / ability / item)
Using (spell / ability)
Incoming (Spell - Save)
Incoming (Spell non damaging effects)
**note that damage effects should be visible based on the above settings and don't need to be repeated

If I could change more things... stuff here might be included
Combat
... I haven't built an encounter, so I really can't speak to buff scripts vs. what can come pre-buffed on groups, nor AI casting.
... It is frustrating you can't tell your character NOT to take a step when you're being pushed around by NPCs who then push past you through a doorway / toward your companion though, better 'hate/aggro' mechanics would be nice.
... Companion AI when they decide to run off and take hits from AoO until they die

Combat STYLES
... There are a few, but it would be nice if they were true-toggles and if there were other synergy bonus'. Mostly to help balance out some combat options. Numerically some things will ALWAYS be better and that's why you just see so much of it around.

Pathing
... point and click is fine, as long as I actually go towards where I click and not the other direction or around a house to get two steps in front of me.

Graphics - world construction
... nothing specific. More variety is always great, but I don't feel the need for better options. Changing the builder to show walk-mesh and path-blocking for items would be nice too.

Graphics - weapons/armor
... I would like more areas on each piece of clothing for coloring. Some items are awkward to color (or gradate color) because of where color splotches are and how the same color looks on different 'material'

Character design
... Let right/left handed be a choice and not force everyone to be R-handed. More portraits / faces / body types
sinn
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by sinn »

I always thought it would be cool if your characters body/model fit your attributes.

So STR INT WIS DEX CON and CHA applied to what your character actually looked like IG.

For instance your base STR is 18 you would have this body type, which would be different than a character with an STR of 10.

Also If your base CHA is 8 then you should only be allowed to chose from say 20 heads, but if your CHA was 18 then you could pick from say 100 heads.

A higher DEX should make you move slightly faster.

---

Also choosing left or right hand would be cool as well.

---

as for changes to mechanics, there are too many to list, stupid spells, broked feats, and such.

----

still I do very much enjoy NWNs. so much that I have never wanted or needed to buy another computer game since I bought NWNs back when it came out.
[i]"Zee cabbage does not run away from zee corn-beef."[/i]
Tremayne7
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by Tremayne7 »

Height of the character.... Ok, I imagine that Peter is taller than Zach, but Zach is still dang tall for a half elf/dragon dude.

I'd be cool to have a true voice chat, but with a voice filter so your male characters don't sound like the girl you are or vice versa.

That Hala/Arkaz looked like Skyrim (ok not exactly, but the graphics are awesome).

Still I have to agree with Sinn that I haven't found a game (besides Sims 2) that I still play after 10+ years and still have fun with it. And you all.
Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning

"If life is a hankerchief, love is the embrodery that makes it more beautiful." - Alexis Dufresne Montjoie

"A Tyrite, a thief, a ranger and a preppy elf were sitting in a bar with a druidess..." -Aranel
diermace1
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by diermace1 »

Hmm something to change? that's a hard one as life never throws the same thing at you twice, but maybe just one thing, when Pug's belly rumbles or she farts it would be nice for others to hear it and feel the ground shake. :wink: