Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

ChukchiDog
Knight: Church of Pants
Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Draugar plot apologies and stuff

Post by ChukchiDog »

Heya,

I was out of town for a few days before the latest Draugar plot event, and wasn't able to read the boards, write any posts, or get IG.

I thought I'd be home for the event, but as it turned out I wasn't able to get home in time, so I had to log on for the event from out of town, and RL circumstances meant I couldn't log in early or read the boards before-hand.

Had this not been the case, I would have been able to ICly set something up to make sure the PCs who were Defenders would be ICly where the DM wanted us to be for the event. As it was, I couldn't do that; therefore there was confusion and delay. For that I apologize.

To avoid this problem in future, since my life is now such that I can't be IG nearly as often as I'd like, I'd be very grateful if the DM would give us an IC reason to be where he wants us if no PCs step up to do so in a reasonable amount of time. Thanks!

Secondly, I apologize to BCIPhoto for not including him in the event. At some point during the event I saw him log on, and I thought: "Ah, I need to send him a tell and invite him to join us and say where we are", but I was busy trying to keep up under difficult circumstances and I just completely forgot until later when I saw him log off. I don't even know what character he was playing, or if he wanted to join us, but I DID intend to invite him.

I have no idea whether BCIPhoto was upset or offended, but I want to take this opportunity to reiterate that in my case ANY time I do anything that anyone thinks might look as if I'm slighting or ignoring you, I'm not. ALWAYS assume incompetence on my part rather than malice, and you'll always be right. :)

Which brings me to this question: Is Vicky (Victoria DeVitale) back in the plot now? I couldn't tell from reading the boards.

Thanks!
Gildan: "I'm not as good as I once was, but i'm as good once as I ever was."

"I'm stubborn as those garbage bags that time cannot decay; I'm junk, but I'm still holding up this little wild bouquet." -Leonard Cohen, "Democracy"
But I Ain't Got Wings
Major DM

Re: Draugar plot apologies and stuff

Post by But I Ain't Got Wings »

ChukchiDog wrote:Heya,

I was out of town for a few days before the latest Draugar plot event, and wasn't able to read the boards, write any posts, or get IG.

I thought I'd be home for the event, but as it turned out I wasn't able to get home in time, so I had to log on for the event from out of town, and RL circumstances meant I couldn't log in early or read the boards before-hand.

Had this not been the case, I would have been able to ICly set something up to make sure the PCs who were Defenders would be ICly where the DM wanted us to be for the event. As it was, I couldn't do that; therefore there was confusion and delay. For that I apologize.

To avoid this problem in future, since my life is now such that I can't be IG nearly as often as I'd like, I'd be very grateful if the DM would give us an IC reason to be where he wants us if no PCs step up to do so in a reasonable amount of time. Thanks!

Secondly, I apologize to BCIPhoto for not including him in the event. At some point during the event I saw him log on, and I thought: "Ah, I need to send him a tell and invite him to join us and say where we are", but I was busy trying to keep up under difficult circumstances and I just completely forgot until later when I saw him log off. I don't even know what character he was playing, or if he wanted to join us, but I DID intend to invite him.

I have no idea whether BCIPhoto was upset or offended, but I want to take this opportunity to reiterate that in my case ANY time I do anything that anyone thinks might look as if I'm slighting or ignoring you, I'm not. ALWAYS assume incompetence on my part rather than malice, and you'll always be right. :)

Which brings me to this question: Is Vicky (Victoria DeVitale) back in the plot now? I couldn't tell from reading the boards.

Thanks!
no need to apologize for not being able to read the boards and such. To start I posted OOCly they day before I would be DMing on ysgard, if you did not know that I am sorry. Others saw the post and knew what server to start on. As for giving you an IC reason to place your character on the correct server, no one told me that I was 'supposed' to be DMing on Hala, and nobody told me they had any IC plans for the day on Hala. I assumed that you would all (being goodie characters) want to investigate and help the poor halfing lass in Reenkep, and it would be a good IC reason for you to be there and start the event there. As for me giving you an IC reason to be where 'I want you' that is not an easy thing to do, I can not be logged into both servers at the same time, and I was in the client setting up for the event over an hour before it started so I did not know you were on Hala. I think sometimes the best thing is to take an OOC notice about something like which server I will be DMing on and simply find your way there, without me having to set up a specific reason for you to be there.

As for Vicky, yes I allowed her to switch her character in this plot again, based upon the fact she has done little or nothing with the plot anyways.
bidocks
Knight of the Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by bidocks »

Yep, no apology needed! I logged in literally to change the colors on Vicky's clothes... didn't have a lot of time at that point anyway :)
Akai
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Akai »

Generally people will try to find a reason for their characters to be where a DM wants them, though it's way easier if the characters have an IC reason to be there! Yesterday tho the characters had an IC reason to be somewhere else instead (Defenders meeting has been at that time for months and months if not years now) which is a different thing entirely. Like ChukchiDog said, given opportunity we would have tried to rearrange things in advance so as to be where the DM wanted us, but this time lack of internet access and free time didn't permit.

For my part, if my character has a compelling reason to be somewhere else which prevents him from taking part in an event, it should not be taken as OOC lack of interest in that event. You may take it as read that I am trying to think of a reasonable way to get to that event, and would appreciate it if others also tried to think of a reasonable way to get my character to the event. But if no one can think of a good reason why my character would get to the event, I will simply miss the event, and no hard feelings on my part. I will always prefer missing out on an opportunity to having to break character in order to seize that opportunity. (Witness Egil giving Sara-sue his feather cloak, in full OOC knowledge that that would break a quest chain leading to a cool reward.)
_JM_
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by _JM_ »

There is an IC note mentioning the tragedy in Reenkep in which someone says they have reassured Kinna of the hospitality of the Temple of Sune and that they thought perhaps someone with greater charm would have more success with her, and that doesn't seem an IC reason for Soleis (the charming High Priest of Sune) to suggest going to Reenkep? I didn't know that was specifically what Sinn wanted and when he said he'd be on Ysgard I thought "But the Defenders will be on Hala", but that felt like a reasonable way to get them onto the right server. If you disagree then we can agree to differ, my attitude is more the opposite as I've sometimes resorted to Jayem having a feeling from Senath about which idea of where to go had the greatest blessing when I can't think of a good reason.
Akai
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Akai »

Certainly a good reason, and after the Defenders had gathered Soleis certainly would have suggested that, if no one else had come up with a reason to go to Ysgard first; but that'd put us on Ysgard about half an hour after Sinn's event started, I'd guess.

If either ChukchiDog or I had not been doing other things, we probably would have posted a suggestion to the Defenders to meet in Reenkep instead of White Wood, but neither of us could get on until just before or just after event start, hence the confusion about where we were and where we were supposed to be, hence the apology.
Moonyju
Minor DM

Post by Moonyju »

*shrugs*
We have, before, put an OOC note in the "meetings" thread to meet wherever so as to be where the event was to take place. :)

You want an IC reason to move the Defenders to Ysgard for the event? For those who would still meet on Hala, just say "how about we check things out on the mainland for a change?". Bam. You're on the "event" server. :)

... and that goes for any group, and any event/plot. Not just this one. :) As was said, in a case like this, it's fine to take things a little OOC and go directly to the place for the event.