Divine champion PRC, anyone have it?

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

Zombie
Veteran DM

Divine champion PRC, anyone have it?

Post by Zombie »

I am wondering how the PRC works. Any one have it that can tell me? The wiki states its only 5 levels, but Ive heard it can be up to 10. Is that correct?
Grovel puts the P in swimming pool.
Small in stature, large in power, narrow of focus and wide of vision
My play/DM times: [url]http://www.ysgard.org/viewtopic.php?highlight=play&t=7671[/url]
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

Also, what epic feats are available to it as bonus feats if I take levels in it after LV 20? Or should I take all 5 levels before LV 20?
My play/DM times: [url]http://www.ysgard.org/viewtopic.php?highlight=play&t=7671[/url]
ChukchiDog
Knight: Church of Pants
Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Post by ChukchiDog »

Gildan is a Divine Champion.

No matter how I begged and pleaded I was not allowed to take more than 5 levels of it, so I'm thinking that's a hard and fast rule. If it's not, somebody please tell me ASAP so I can get 5 more levels. :)

I remember it being explained to me that if Gildan took more than 5 levels and also became a Paladin, he could be overpowered, which was why I could not take more levels. Nevermind that A.) Gildan was NEVER going to become a Paladin, and B.) No matter what advantages my characters are given they will still suck due to the fact that I am the world's worst computer gamer when it comes to the technical side of things. :)

Granted I am the world's worst computer gamer when it comes to the technical side of things (and that is NOT an exaggeration), so someone else might know differently, but in my experience 5 levels of Divine Champion is useless for anything but RP. RP-wise it fits Gil perfectly, though, and I'm mostly about RP (because I suck at anything else), so I don't regret taking it. :)

When I log him on again I can look and see what Divine Champion stuff he has and let you know; I don't want to do it from memory and get it wrong.

PLEASE NOTE that I love my characters and I love playing them and I am not upset at all and I do not think any DMs have been unfair in this. :)
Gildan: "I'm not as good as I once was, but i'm as good once as I ever was."

"I'm stubborn as those garbage bags that time cannot decay; I'm junk, but I'm still holding up this little wild bouquet." -Leonard Cohen, "Democracy"
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=Divine_Champion

Hmmm! So, according to the wiki there are only 5 lvs available to the class anyway, so even if I wanted to take more I shouldn’t! I was just wondering because it looks like it is the Champion of Torm renamed because Torm is a Forgotten Realms god (just like Harper Scout is a FR group). Some people get very hung up on the names of things but I don’t need to go into that here ;).

5 LVs of Divine Champion is great mechanics wise compared to either the Paladin or the Fighter. Personally unless you have a good CHA score I don’t see any non RP benefit to talking lv 5 in the PRC because Divine Wrath’s duration is based off your CHA bonus. Lay on Hands is also useless without a good CHA and lots of levels.

But those first 4 lvs get you:
Lay on Hands (meh without CHA or lots of LVs)
2 bonus feats (only 1 less than the Fighter)
Smite something (meh without CHA or lots of LVs)
+4 BAB
Saves of +4,+4,+1 which is really nice
+2 saves (so +6,+6,+3 total)

So mechanically its nice over all. It has great synergy with Paladin because the PRC and Paladin lvs stack for lay and smite, which is important, so the Pally gets 2 feats even more saves a neat Divine Wrath (use that with Divine Might for super fun times) and gives up some caster levels and delays their spell casting a bit. A fighter loses a bonus feat and gains some saves. You don’t get any armour or weapon proficiencies but that’s normal for a PRC.

Flavour wise it has a nice little RP feel to the PRC as well and has certainly gotten me thinking about it as an alternative to a really weird Dwarven Defender I’ve asked for.
Trinity
Veteran DM

Post by Trinity »

I wanted to take it with Triah, a straight pally. And as Gilden couldn't, I pleaded to be able to take more levels then allowed and was reject. So I didn't even think anymore of it cuz 5 levels would just be enough to piss me off everytime I played her. :evil:
Jenai
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by Jenai »

It is fantastic for Rp...

If you decide to get it first have High Charisma.

Jenai is a Divine Champion. It is perfect for her RP wise. Character sheet wise it is an awful build.

I tend to lean towards Rp so it works for me.

I would not recommend taking it though.
Quote:
Jenai even at near death is about as helpless as that kitten in Mithro. *Daemona*
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

How important is the CHA? I can see that Lay on Hands is better with a good CHA, but even with 20 (+5) CHA with only 5 LVs in the PRC you are healing 25HP. There just aren’t enough LVs available in the PRC to make the ability viable. Compare that to my Paladin who at LV 40 LOH for a nice robust 546. For the Divine Wrath however CHA directly affects the duration of the ability. I think the PRC really shines with a base class that makes good use of CHA like Bard or Sorcerer (and to a lesser extent Clerics who use the turn feats) and is an obvious win with Paladin. I would have taken 5 LVs in it with my Paladin but the PRC is not offered to Paladins on Arkaz.

The PRC certainly has a good chunk of RP with it. I do find it quite interesting that it has high Fort and Reflex, rather than Fort and Will. I’m looking to pair it with Barbarian for some sort of Norse divine furry action and Rogue because I’m a stinker and the thought of sneak attacking a frightened monster makes me giggle.

This is good stuff. Thanks guys. So what I’m hearing is don’t even dream about more than 5 LVs because the answer is no and if I’m hung up on ‘the numbers’ then I should give the concept a miss and think about something else. Still, if I was hung up on the numbers I wouldnt take 3 classes with poor will saves ;)
Jenai

Post by Jenai »

Exactly!

No more levels.

...Can we at least get wings and halo's? JK!

*hides*
Quote:
Jenai even at near death is about as helpless as that kitten in Mithro. *Daemona*
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

Interestingly on the wings and halos you ‘might’ have some ability to petition (cry to) the team about having some sort of physical change to go along with the 5th lv in the PRC. I would LOVE to have monk glowing eyes for Brynja (have you seen her eyes IG….), which can be added in a roundabout sneaky way but only temporary using the tools I’m familiar with as a dm. Did you also know there are different colours available and not just red, blue and violet? How about green or white (white is what I want for Brynja) and I think yellow too. Her eyes were turned green by a sneaky DM but because she was sitting and wearing her hood no one noticed! (not even me till I got a tell and panned around to see it)
The tool can add any of the visual effects to a creature and it persists till log out I think. I don’t remember off the top of my head anything that looks halo like. Even if it only worked on Yshard/Hala that would still be neat. Imagine traveling with someone from Avlis to Ysgard, only to see their eyes start glowing once they reached Sigil because the connection to their god was strong enough to manifest the glow (or in other words it only works on our servers). That would be neat.
Wings are easy peasy but silly. But glowing eyes could in theory happen! I think a .BIC edit would be needed. I would take that sad 5th lv for glowing eyes!
Jenai

Post by Jenai »

I was teasing but wow that would be really cool and great to Rp. <3

A halo could be represented by some type of Aura (glowy light?)

Wings are super cool Especially angel wings.

Female divine champions for the Aesir should be Valkyries. (just thinking out loud lol)

Truly though glowy eyes in Celestial gold would be awesome.
Quote:
Sable
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Sable »

I would *love* to hear the compelling argument that states more than 5 levels would be overpowered. I have a feeling it might cause me to start beating the Equinelich of OP spellcasters ;)
"Abash'd the Devil stood, And felt how awful goodness is, and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely” John Milton
_JM_
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by _JM_ »

A little off-topic, and I can’t speak for the DM tools, but from the toolset scripting you can have eyes in Cyan, Green, Orange, Purple, Red, White, or Yellow. Auras can be in Blue(*), Brown, Cyan, Green(*), Magenta, Orange, Purple, Red(*), White, and Yellow(*). Plus some Auras that pulse between two colours (like you see between red and white when paralysed). Constants listed for use with SetCreatureWingType were Angel, Bat, Bird, Butterfly, Demon, and Dragon (Red).

(* = plus light and dark of that)

Tested the scripting and had poor Jayem mutate to have wings and glowy eyes and aura when he logged into that module. Went ‘eeeesh’ when I thought about all the checks that would be needed for multiplayer to make sure the right things were applied correctly, and then ‘eeyeek’ when I wondered about if Polymorphing would mess that up.
Last edited by _JM_ on Thu May 08, 2014 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gregpooh
Knight: Church of Pants

Post by Gregpooh »

Jenai wrote:I was teasing but wow that would be really cool and great to Rp. <3

A halo could be represented by some type of Aura (glowy light?)

Wings are super cool Especially angel wings.

Female divine champions for the Aesir should be Valkyries. (just thinking out loud lol)

Truly though glowy eyes in Celestial gold would be awesome.
Kind of like this? :P

It takes a [b]Viking[/b] to Raze a Village.
Jenai

Post by Jenai »

Hahahaha! Awesome :D
Quote: