Help me choose my new computer!

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

Rudiki
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Help me choose my new computer!

Post by Rudiki »

Okay, so I'm really sick of having Lexy be totally useless in combat (plus the waiting minutes for pages to load doesn't help my work any, either). We have tried GrimeFighter, CCleaner, the computer's own cleanup stuff, and then Akai spent a couple of days looking on the internet and deleting lots of programs, but nothing helped. So I guess I need a new computer because it has gotten to the point where it's just too frustrating to deal with. So with that in mind, what computer should I get? It has to:

A.) Run NWN really well, dammit!

B.) Be a laptop.

C.) Be something I can find all finished in a store, not assemble myself, because I am a Luddite.

D.) Not be too terribly expensive, hopefully, because we are broke after having to replace both the water tank and the water heater last week and this is a rotten time to have to get a 'puter.

Please help me out by making recommendations (speaking slowly and clearly, because as noted above I am a Luddite) of what I should get/have/look for.

Thanks so much!
13thHour : [Tell] *your alignment has long since passed any possible further move to 'sexy' due to reinventing the scale*

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Lexy]Lexy on the Wiki![/url]
_JM_
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by _JM_ »

Hard to recommend anything in particular. Looking at a list of laptops with my NWN box in front of me for comparison even the cheapest laptop far exceeds the recommended specs. Only advice I can think of is beware the blandishments of extended warranty and make sure it has a DVD drive to put the NWN discs into (or buy an external drive, depends how much of the time that would be plugged in).

Sorry to not be more help.
Freeze01
Resident DM Griefer

Post by Freeze01 »

What _JM_ said, if it is just about NWN1, well you dont need much.

You are pretty much set with any laptop in the 200-250 dollar range, I'd say.

like this one:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-15-6-lap ... Id=9925379

Maybe there are cheaper stores, this was the first USA store i could find.
Rudiki
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Rudiki »

As it turns out Akai got my Dad's old 'Puter working for me which I have had since he died but not had the heart to unpack and look at, so I won't have to buy a new computer just yet. Still have a bit of lag from our sucky connection, but it is MUCH better; fighting stuff is fun (i.e. possible) again! Thanks, Dad (and thanks, Akai).
13thHour : [Tell] *your alignment has long since passed any possible further move to 'sexy' due to reinventing the scale*

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Lexy]Lexy on the Wiki![/url]