Avoid quoting RL songs / poems IC

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

Void Hamlet
Area Builder

Avoid quoting RL songs / poems IC

Post by Void Hamlet »

Avoid quoting existing RL songs / poems IC.

If you really cannot help it, a little comment line (( Credits: Author - Song / Poem name )) will not hurt. I however object to IC-ly claiming your character has written a song/poem written by someone else IRL, even considering the Multiverse is vast and your character has all chances of coming up with a song/poem that someone in our world has already come up with.

I post this after this IC thread, the OOC comments removed from there are quoted below:
Enverex wrote:(( Credit where credit's due, the song is "Breakthrough" by Pink Floyd. ))
Zombie wrote:((actually, just Rick Wright, solo and well spotted :) ))
Khaelindra wrote:((IC thread, take credits-discussion to PM's, where it belonged in the first place?))
Enverex wrote:(( the point was, if you're directly copying someone else's work, you should give them credit for it rather than people thinking it is your own *has bad memories of Bards at Elf Gate singing songs from Spiderman 2* ))

Dream on :)

- Maya
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, and you have to make fortitude saves, you know it's a druid. -Cap'n Charlie
slave_of_emotions
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by slave_of_emotions »

uhm no more kissing ona tree ? :(
[url=http://www.dynasig.net/?id=2052][img]http://serve.dynasig.net/2052.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://photobucket.com/albums/a296/6_loverboy_9/NWN/]screenshots[/url][url=http://slaveofemotions.sl.funpic.de/mx/index.php?page=4&smartor_mode=album_cat&cat_id=1]and more[/url]
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Post by Psye Shaar »

uhm no more kissing ona tree ?
I think you're safe with that one... it's about as copyrighted as 'va va voom' ..... :P
[i]"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction." [/i]
Blaise Pascal (1623 - 1662)
Enverex
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Enverex »

Hey Bobby, what's the French for Va-va-voom?
DJ Micah: [Tell] *your alignment has shifted 5 points towards smooth*
sinbadsam
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by sinbadsam »

But that is Metagaming to place credits on songs from the RL world. It would also be Metagaming to recognise said song and get upset about its use.

From what I have seen, ASCAP and BMI do not exist any any fantasy world.
sinbadsam

Post by sinbadsam »

But that is Metagaming to place credits on songs from the RL world. It would also be Metagaming to recognise said song and get upset about its use.

VIpAcT
Veteran DM

Post by VIpAcT »

This is not a problem of metagaming, but pulling someone from the immersion. Metagaming would entail that you use something you gained outside of your characters knowledge about the game to your advantage (or something like that). It would be a bit odd if the character in game got angry with a quoted song because of it, but that is not the case.

Personally, I don't care if someone uses a RL song or not. However, I can see where it could detract from the immesion of the game in some instances. Its just like someone walking around with a character name Darth Vader or Elvis around Hala.

Its a shame that bards have it difficult to get abilities across in the game. Yet, I have really enjoyed many of the original stuff posted around on the gaming boards. Be creative!
[size=75]<Sarmanoloth> I should have went Dirty Harry with the Solar
<Sarmanoloth> "See this? Its a Celestial crafted greatsword with three runes of enchanted and loaded with Holy Avenger Caliber magic. So I have to ask you a question? Do you feel lucky? Punk?" [/size]
Enverex

Post by Enverex »

sinbadsam wrote:But that is Metagaming to place credits on songs from the RL world. It would also be Metagaming to recognise said song and get upset about its use.

The point was you put the credits in OOCly and don't act like a thief.
micah ormane
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by micah ormane »

I second Vip on this one. Nobody has the right to sit there and harp on you for producing something original. We're not here to write or make perfect art...we're here to RP and have fun. Give it a try. I quite enjoy reading over bard works and stuff that Iknow people put time into just to liven upthe game for others. It's sort of a fuzzy feeling.

As for quoting other's songs from RL - it is an immersion thing. Some are big into it, some don't care...most lie in the middle. Try to avoid it as much as possible though.

Cheers!
Khaelindra

Post by Khaelindra »

Enverex wrote:
sinbadsam wrote:But that is Metagaming to place credits on songs from the RL world. It would also be Metagaming to recognise said song and get upset about its use.

The point was you put the credits in OOCly and don't act like a thief.
The other point was that you ask them that in a PM and not go making OOC statements in an IC post while showing off knowledge by nailing someone else in public.
Gary Gygax wrote:
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved.
T'Holoth Shadowborn
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by T'Holoth Shadowborn »

Making the odd subtle comment that players catch can be funny.
Like when we had all that hassle with DMs taking over avatars of players (clones) and attacking friends and what not. Tholoth made a comment
"And so begins the clone wars".
Funny stuff if i do say so myself :)
Even the most hardcore RP server in copap, abyss404, uses subtle jokes sometimes. "Adventurers express card"

If someone is ripping off a poet, singer, song, philisopher verbatem then thats just cheese.
[i]Blessed is the mind too small for doubt[/i]
Though I walk through the vally in the shadows of daemons, I shall fear nothing. For I am what the daemon fears.
Defender

Post by Defender »

Just an interesting point to add.....

If someone were to use a RL song, couldnt it be concluded that that character wrote the song first anyways, since we are about a bazillion years back before modern time, and said song would not exist way back then anyways?

I mean, Pink Floyd (to use your example) wasnt even born or thought about, hell, they didnt even have electrical instruments way back then....

well, I am just being silly..just another point of view.

*shrugs*
Enverex

Post by Enverex »

Defender wrote:Just an interesting point to add.....

If someone were to use a RL song, couldnt it be concluded that that character wrote the song first anyways, since we are about a bazillion years back before modern time, and said song would not exist way back then anyways?

I mean, Pink Floyd (to use your example) wasnt even born or thought about, hell, they didnt even have electrical instruments way back then....

well, I am just being silly..just another point of view.

*shrugs*
The point is that uninformed people think that YOU wrote that song and that you're skilled, that is why you put the credit in.
sinbadsam

Post by sinbadsam »

No like today, and into the past. There are bards that just perform the songs, others that create more songs and then perform them.

The people listening are judging the performer as he/she/it performs the music. They might say "Damn he sings that song better than Digby ButtStroke did, three years ago in the Drunken Ape Inn"

Since IC and IG, ASCAP and BMI do not exist. Giving credits to who wrote and or performed the song is not for making a RPing experienc.

Maybe if by Imperial decree only a certain performer could sing a certain song, but everything else is wide open.

Just as today, when two different "Good" performers perform the same song they each try to make the song there own. Same song but the differences would be noted by the talented.

As for some players of bards using modern day songs, why you say, well some of us could not carry a tune in a dump truck. Does that mean we should not play a bard, No. Just like those that do not have years of martial arts experience can play a monk or a weapon master.
sinbadsam

Post by sinbadsam »

*removed duplicate post*
Sable
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Sable »

if you can't write your own songs, no that does not bar you from playing a bard. It does however cause you problems should you want to hold performances. You say that giving OOC credits ruins an RP feel, well so does having someone "sing" a modern day song in game, as much as talking about cars, trains and computers would. You're bringing OOC elements into the game and trying to pass them off as IC. In small doses, this can be OK and even fun, but when it is the focus of a character eg. a bard and its music, it starts to smell a bit of cheese.

My only suggestion to people that can not write their own stuff is to do what I did on the occations I have played a bard (I have about as much musical talent as the chair I'm sitting on). Instead of writing lyrics, describe the song to the audiuence and allow their imagination to fill in the details. Its not great, but its better than having someone sing a metalica song at you :?
"Abash'd the Devil stood, And felt how awful goodness is, and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely” John Milton