Hala gentelman agreement

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

slave_of_emotions
Squire: Church of Pants

Hala gentelman agreement

Post by slave_of_emotions »

i thought it would be good if hala had a own agreement on cvc... if anyone is interested and can think of something then he should post it here ^^

I was thinking of things that are so powerful that they should be limited to one use per fight, for example harm and usage of heal potions...
In case of heals i have to think of event fight between tris and giant where at some spot it just became a fight between who has more heals. It showed pretty good how those potions can ruin things, as well for spellcasters that would get at some point out of spells because they enemy can just get down more and more heals while theyself get out of spells.

As well like things of what happens after a fight, like that a character that lost a fight does not do anything to provoke another atack on him or her for a week so that it actually had a meaning for them, and that he does not have as well to fear OOC being killed again right away if he respects that victory IC.

any ideas ?
[url=http://www.dynasig.net/?id=2052][img]http://serve.dynasig.net/2052.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://photobucket.com/albums/a296/6_loverboy_9/NWN/]screenshots[/url][url=http://slaveofemotions.sl.funpic.de/mx/index.php?page=4&smartor_mode=album_cat&cat_id=1]and more[/url]
NWDuneAuron
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by NWDuneAuron »

We do.
Gentlemen's Agreement:

1. No looting of items except for consumables/replaceables: A weapon, a helm or a magical wand are examples of things that can't be looted under any circumstances. Things that can be looted include but are not limited to magical potions, healing kits, ammunition, crafting components, gems and scrolls.

2. Withdrawal upon defeat: If you are defeated in CvC in enemy lands you must leave the area and not come back until twenty four real time hours have passed. The only exception is if you must retrieve your gear after the incident that caused your death in the first case, in that circumstance you may come back, claim your equipment and leave as soon as possible. If you go back to enemy lands before the 24h period has passed you won't be protected by the gentlemen's agreement regarding looting.

3. No Bigby's Forceful Hand: This is the only spell that at this time of writing has been considered "broken" for CvC purposes due to the difficulty to resist its effects. Virtually nobody can succeed in the STR check required to avoid it so it's been left out by both sides in the war. No other spells are forbidden by the gentlemen's agreement even though some might severely frown upon certain spells (Harm). Regardless, everything else can be used.

4. Set your enemies to dislike: This is always the responsibility of the attacker and can be done as soon as right after logging in or as late as a split second before the actual attack but the bottom line is that it must be done.

5. Don't assault a city unless under DM supervision. Without a DM to put in realistic resistance, you'd be taking advantage of the NPCs' AI to make the attack easier than it should be. This applies to any sort of attack or criminal action, any applies to the Demon Temple, Mirtho Rest, Nagritch, Tel, etc.

6. No spies in the private boards of an opposing organization. A character can only spy in such a way if the DM sponsor of the spied guild knows about it. Further, all information spied must pass through this DM.
Anything not covered here is fair game but may be frowned upon, like the use of Harm or timestop to cast offensive spells.
slave_of_emotions

Post by slave_of_emotions »

well this is actualy the avlis agreement, it was not ever posted anywhere on hala so people here dont have to even know it, if thats how all/most players would like it, then can it be posted somewhere and sticked ?

And while 5 is for sure, would not 6 be rather a server rule too ?

2 does not apply at all for hala, here are no enemy lands except for temple grounds.
Last edited by slave_of_emotions on Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.dynasig.net/?id=2052][img]http://serve.dynasig.net/2052.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://photobucket.com/albums/a296/6_loverboy_9/NWN/]screenshots[/url][url=http://slaveofemotions.sl.funpic.de/mx/index.php?page=4&smartor_mode=album_cat&cat_id=1]and more[/url]
NWDuneAuron

Post by NWDuneAuron »

It's posted in at least two places, and referred to but not stated in the rules forum. I'll post it in the rules forum.
NWDuneAuron

Post by NWDuneAuron »

And of course it's the Avlis one, because it works.
T'Holoth Shadowborn

Post by T'Holoth Shadowborn »

*post edited to conform*

:roll:

I'll just say that in my experience with the gentlemans agreement, 9.9 times out of 10 the person accusing someone else of breaking it have themselves already broke it first.
Last edited by T'Holoth Shadowborn on Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
[i]Blessed is the mind too small for doubt[/i]
Though I walk through the vally in the shadows of daemons, I shall fear nothing. For I am what the daemon fears.
Arkon
World Leader

Post by Arkon »

The banned spells list stays. basically, you use those spells, you aren't at risk of DM intervention too much, but once you break the agreement, you are no longer covered by it. So if you want to bigsby someone, go ahead, but expect it to happen to you as well.

The Gentleman's Agreement is only minorly upheld by the DMs. If we see you break it, we'll step in.

If we don't, it's up to the players.

If you are a constant breaker, then yes, we will step in and you won't like the outcome.
Respect is Earned! Fear is Demanded!
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Post by Psye Shaar »

T'Holoth Shadowborn wrote:*post edited to conform*

:roll:

I'll just say that in my experience with the gentlemans agreement, 9.9 times out of 10 the person accusing someone else of breaking it have themselves already broke it first.
I'll drop a comment in here... i've been on the receiving end of people not abiding by this, as well as both seeing and hearing of it not being abided by.

The bottom line is, whether it be via dm intervention or pc's taking it upon themselves on the off-chance they're not seen, chances are, you're going to pay badly for it. So.. the simple solution. Don't do it!

It will be reported or heard about one way or another, so you will suffer for it.

Easiest way to avoid it? Don't do it.
[i]"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction." [/i]
Blaise Pascal (1623 - 1662)
Darkrain2309
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Darkrain2309 »

Simple rules to abide... HOLY Cow batman. Just remember do on to others as you want done to you. Also remember this is a game, not a real world..If you have an outright evil character be it a level 2 know that if you come across some epic goodly char...(pardon my french) Your arse is going to get pawned. I know EVERYtime Kimm sees Niko it is ON. Don't complain play your char. If someone is playing thier char and not being a complete and utter ARSE then deal with it. Now if they pawn you 14 times and just keep doing it because it is fun then yeah that is wrong. BUT on the other hand if your char is ICLY being stupid and evil and not willing to give way to the insanely stronger character know you will be surely pawned. From my experience the people who play here do play great and ICLY. No one holds grudges usually and other older players seem to keep one another in check if they see someone forget or become a bully. SO enjoy the world of HALA an experience of a lifetime. Laters
To be drow is to know you are perfect...to be anything else is to know that you like dying painfully.
Dengar

Post by Dengar »

I could think of a few things to add... but who would listen to me... I ain't a DM =)
Days Awake
Resident DM Griefer

Post by Days Awake »

I was under the impression bigbys could be used as long as the you did no attacking on the one you cast it on,and use it for restraining the pc to answer questions,the non harmful ones that is.It is also specially useful when you get nitwits that want to keep getting up and attacking after being dropped to bleeding :twisted:
Sex is like a box of chocolates, sometimes your fingers get sticky! >=) -

Jskee:Jeezus, you're cuddly as a porcupine sometimes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcBc9iwPN50&feature=related
Idonia

Post by Idonia »

Days Awake wrote:It is also specially useful when you get nitwits that want to keep getting up and attacking after being dropped to bleeding :twisted:
It's okay to use it then, because they've broken the Agreement, and thus aren't protected by it. :twisted:
[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Lily]Lily[/url]
Lir'ana
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Lir'ana »

2 does not apply at all for hala, here are no enemy lands except for temple grounds.
Not true there are enemy lands for example drow aren't allowed in nagaritch that would be enemy land right there. Or how about the Drow city? To anyone who is not drow that is enemy land.
[b]"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."[/b] - [i]General MacArthur [/i]
Jskee
Dead man walking...

Post by Jskee »

Drow are not protected by the Gentlemens Agreement. They are filth and should be extinguished with extreme prejudice! :shock: :shock: :P
Darkrain2309
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Darkrain2309 »

Jskee wrote:Drow are not protected by the Gentlemens Agreement. They are filth and should be extinguished with extreme prejudice! :shock: :shock: :P

:evil: *growls rubbing her leg where a Niko arrow used to be* I will show you a drowagreement mister and you will beg for the mercy of your god to slay you quickly with that foul speaking kobold dung mouth of yours. Pain is something you will come to know *chuckles evilly muttering about the ways in which she is going to torture him* :wink:
To be drow is to know you are perfect...to be anything else is to know that you like dying painfully.
BPanther
Knight of the Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by BPanther »

Gentlemen's Agreement:

1. No looting of items except for consumables/replaceables: A weapon, a helm or a magical wand are examples of things that can't be looted under any circumstances. Things that can be looted include but are not limited to magical potions, healing kits, ammunition, crafting components, gems and scrolls.
thats something DMs decided or just gentlemans agreement.

i can think about weapon of drowslaying found from elf or human corpse ehh worse from all it would be in possession recently killed drider :P
<@HumbugCause> Lir's in and out more than a red light girl's regular :P
<@CoffeeDragon> Sorry Lir, I traded you to Zombie this morning for 2 cookies and a collectible digipokimonster card.
NWDuneAuron

Post by NWDuneAuron »

If you loot someone, it's on your head. I can 100% guarantee you that noone likes a looter, and someone who's been looted suddenly gains a lot of friends. :).
Arkon
World Leader

Post by Arkon »

And usually those friends are fairly high level
Respect is Earned! Fear is Demanded!
Odin Hammersong

Post by Odin Hammersong »

BPanther, the answer to your question is in your own post, the looting rule is part of the GA. It's legal to loot. But don't be surprised when you are killed by an angry pitchfork weilding mob and the corpse you come back to is not only devoid of any items except an emote wand, but it's mutilated so badly it might take weeks in a temple to stitch back up so you can actually use it. :twisted:

I don't disagree with the GA, but if we're going to have DMs threatening severe actions, why not just make them hard and fast rules?

I thought the point of the GA was to let the player's police themselves and have IC concequences for IC actions? I had always thought it was something DM's stayed out of unless it's an extreme case. Arkon(or another DM), correcteth me if I'm wrongeth.

Personally, I really enjoy knowing that the things in the GA CAN happen. Will the person get banned? Nope. Will they get VJ'd? Probly not, only if it's an extreme case. Will the character who looted have to deal with IC concequences from other characters? You betcha. And the players are real good at deciding those consequences with a little DM help. Not to mention that some folks who have broken the GA have simply gotten away with it. So it's possible to get off scot free, but it's pretty unlikely to be without concequences.

I'm just saying that by having a GA, we allow for the possbility of really crappy things happening to your char. Personally I enjoy that risk and it makes it that much more exciting to play here.

--Odin
Last edited by Odin Hammersong on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All tryin' to do as we should, but that doesn't always rhyme with doin' what feels good"

[quote="micah ormane"]I'm dedicated? I just take your spells away then abandon you!

Muah ha ha! RP that, bitch![/quote]
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Post by Psye Shaar »

Odin Hammersong wrote:I don't disagree with the GA, but if we're going to have DMs threatening severe actions, why not just make them hard and fast rules?
I think you misunderstood a little there. The severe actions threatened by DM's would actually be from their characters and not from a DM wand unless a situation had crossed into griefing territory.

As has been said, people will sometimes use 'underhanded' methods, but there will inevitably be repercussions and they then have to deal with them.
[i]"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction." [/i]
Days Awake
Resident DM Griefer

Post by Days Awake »

GA=a rule set by PLAYERS,not dm's

server rules=rules enforced by a dm

I'm hoping I'm reading wrong and what you meant to say is that if a dm's character knows about the situation the dm's character would deal with it,just as a player like the rest of us,not use your characters to enforce things from an ooc stance through your character,which I'm sure that whats you meant...I hope
Sex is like a box of chocolates, sometimes your fingers get sticky! >=) -

Jskee:Jeezus, you're cuddly as a porcupine sometimes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcBc9iwPN50&feature=related
Jskee
Dead man walking...

Post by Jskee »

Psye Shaar wrote:I think you misunderstood a little there. The severe actions threatened by DM's would actually be from their characters and not from a DM wand unless a situation had crossed into griefing territory.
I'm pretty sure Psye means "their" characters, as in, the world's PC's and not the DM's actual pc's. Slap me with a slice of fruitcake if I'm wrong.
Lir'ana

Post by Lir'ana »

*SLAP with a piece of fruit cake* No clue if your wrong or not but couldn't pass up the offer.
[b]"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."[/b] - [i]General MacArthur [/i]
Jskee
Dead man walking...

Post by Jskee »

Lir'ana wrote:*SLAP with a piece of fruit cake* No clue if your wrong or not but couldn't pass up the offer.
:P
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Post by Psye Shaar »

.... ok... just to clarify

When I said DM's characters, I am purely talking about IC information that their characters have gained. As far as any rulings go, the same applies to them as everyone else.

If they IC'ly know a character likes to spam IKD during CvC or attack someone that's Bigsby'd, then they're going to have no quarms in doing the same to that person should they IC'ly have any kind of confrontation.