Clerics and their Gods.

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

darkserra
Craftmaster

Paladins again.....

Post by darkserra »

Hmmm,

This is not the first time the whole "paladins have to be LG" debate has arisen.

For those of you who can remember, this very topic was much discussed back in the days of 1st ed AD&D.... rummaging around in the old brainbox and dusting off memories led me to find a handy little article from Dragon Magazine #106, February 1986... (yep 20 years ago, and yes I bought a copy off of the newsstands)

The article discussed "paladins" as a very specific type of holy warrior, one employed by the Lawful Good gods... but other gods would have their versions... (Hey! I want one of those too......)

Myrikhan (NG)
Garath (CG)
Lyan (LN)
Paramander (N)
Fantra (CN)
Illrigger (LE)
Arrikhan (NE)

The Anti-Paladin had already been trotted out for the whole of the gaming community to argue over, so the article discusses the rest of the alignments. It is not a hard arguement to make that since LG gods have holy warriors, would not the other gods have them too?

Bottom line.... in NWN, you want to be a paladin.. you got to be LG... unless you consider the Blackguard as the "Anti-Paladin".

So, on Hala, we get LG paladins.... and I haven't seen any blackguards running aroung.....
-- [i]People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.[/i]
George Orwell
silverdragonams
Head DM

Post by silverdragonams »

and I haven't seen any blackguards running aroung.....
:shock: then...maybe you should look down more often....
Characters:
[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=Sarakin_Fyne]Sarakin Fyne[/url]

www.anotherworlddesign.etsy.com
darkserra
Craftmaster

Post by darkserra »

hehehe.........

Right after I posted that "I havent seen any blackguards......"

I saw one....

Open mouth, insert foot...... yummy! :lol:
-- [i]People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.[/i]
George Orwell
NWDuneAuron
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by NWDuneAuron »

I'm a big fan of getting rid of 'Paladin' etc, and replacing it with 3 PrCs - 'Holy Warrior of Generic Good Deity', 'Holy Warrior of Generic Neutral Deity' and 'Holy Warrior of Generic Evil Deity'. It'd make things much easier.
darkserra
Craftmaster

Post by darkserra »

I'm a big fan of getting rid of 'Paladin' etc, and replacing it with 3 PrCs - 'Holy Warrior of Generic Good Deity', 'Holy Warrior of Generic Neutral Deity' and 'Holy Warrior of Generic Evil Deity'. It'd make things much easier.
I agree, having generic holy warriors would not only be easier, but make it more fair for those "other" alignments.

The question is whether we can or should do something about it on Hala?
George Orwell
Dengar
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by Dengar »

Seeing how Dune is a DM, the thought will no doubt be put out to the others... but the fact is, does anyone have the skills to Script it, and is there always going to be someone online to run it?
Last edited by Dengar on Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
CaraKeltry
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by CaraKeltry »

I was reading this post expecting to see information about Clerics and their Gods. Instead I end up reading a multiple paragraph semi-rant about pg'ing and a direct request to punish these pg'ers. Do I have the right thread? What happened to the Clerics?
Dengar
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by Dengar »

[/quote]I was reading this post expecting to see information about Clerics and their Gods. Instead I end up reading a multiple paragraph semi-rant about pg'ing and a direct request to punish these pg'ers. Do I have the right thread? What happened to the Clerics?[quote]

What's your Question, or what did you want to know about Clerics?
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Post by Psye Shaar »

CaraKeltry wrote:I was reading this post expecting to see information about Clerics and their Gods. Instead I end up reading a multiple paragraph semi-rant about pg'ing and a direct request to punish these pg'ers. Do I have the right thread? What happened to the Clerics?
The post was in direct response to a growing problem.

If you wish to see a post about clerics, their deities and how they should act in respect to their choice of god, then by all means start one either here or in the clerics usergroup. You'll find a lot of people more than happy to search through various sites to find snippets of information about just about anything.

Google is your friend....

As was pointed out in the initial post, what we don't want to see is people just using the class for it's spells and abilities. No-one has started stripping spells/powers yet, as we like to give people a chance to do something about it first, but should they choose not to, then the consequences will be of their own making.
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Re: Clerics and their Gods.

Post by Psye Shaar »

Psye Shaar wrote:
The handiwork of the gods is everywhere - in places of natural beauty, in mighty crusades, in soaring temples and in the hearts of worshippers. Like people, gods run the gamut from benevolent to malicious, reserved to intrusive, simple to inscrutable. The gods, however, work mostly through intermediaries - their clerics. Good clerics heal, protect and avenge. Evil clerics pillage, destroy and sabotage. A cleric uses the power of his god to make the god's will manefest.

I've highlighted that last sentence for a reason.

If you wish to play a cleric, then that cleric must have a god. If they don't have a god, then they cannot draw power. While there are certain exceptions to this rule, only those that have researched them and have some extremely good RP basis to back them up, will not be treated as a 'godless' or 'out of favour' cleric.
A cleric's allignment must be within one step of his deity's (that is, it may be one step away on either side of the lawful-chaotic axis or good-evil axis, but not both)
Clerics spread the word of their god and should act in a manner that their god would consider satisfactory. If they don't, they will fall out of favour and once again, find themself with no power.

The reason for this post is that we are seeing an increasing number of people playing clerics as fighters with spells. This is not what a cleric is and thus, won't be tolerated. If you play a cleric, then you need to follow a god that is in line with your character concept. If you don't, then you can expect repercussions in the form of punishment from the gods themselves, as well as the loss of your spells.

Finally, this is not an invitation for people to start metagaming allignment hits. Just because you may know a way to shift your allignment to match a god, doesn't make it ok. The team can be pm'd if your character requires an allignment shift of any kind because of the direction you wish to take them, with your characters actions then being watched to see if they are deserving.
Once again this is a topic that sadly, needs to be brought to attention.
[i]"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction." [/i]
Blaise Pascal (1623 - 1662)
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Post by Psye Shaar »

Ok, i'm going to make this as simple as possible. If you play a cleric, then your god is the joint, or singularly most important thing in your life.

What we are seeing lately is clerics with Avlissian/Arkaz gods in their fields that have never been followers of these gods, but are converting to them in order to access higher level divine spells on Avlis and Arkaz.

We don't have a god code in place on Hala, but we can and will strip your divine powers if we believe that the system is just being bypassed by switching deities.

If you're a cleric, you DO NOT switch gods everytime you travel from one world to another to exploit the systems in place on those worlds.

If you are a Hala native and follow a Hala god, then suck it up and deal with it when you travel offworld. This is not a matter that's up for discussion. If we see an Avlissian/Arkaz god in your deity field, then we damn well expect your RP to reflect that god.

If we find out that you are swapping deities to avoid the spell loss, then you will find yourself without your spells on Hala instead of one of the other worlds and it'll be a lot harder to get them back than just converting to a Hala god.
[i]"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction." [/i]
Blaise Pascal (1623 - 1662)
Lord Droke
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Lord Droke »

One of the main reasons why Vil has never left plane!
:wink:
"Professional assasination is the highest form of public service" - Chiun, Master of Sinanju