No more sub-dual for me.

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

ApproachingWinter
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

No more sub-dual for me.

Post by ApproachingWinter »

That's right, from this point on I refuse to use the sub-dual damage icon for CvC. I also for that matter expect that anyone attacking me will also use real damage and not carebear it out and attack me sub-dual.

Death should be something to fear. I shouldn't OOC think as I'm entering combat that "Oh well, I'll just stand back up in 5 minutes", it should be something that OOC and IC I fear and want to avoid at all costs. As things stand now death from CvC is a joke and detracts from the adrenalin rush that one should feel from a great fight.

Not saying I expect anyone else to adopt this policy, but just making it clear that I have so that no one is surprised when suddenly they die from a fight with me (Heh, not that any of my PCs can kill much of anyone running around Hala).

P.S. This doesn't mean I'm going to run around purposely trying to death plane anyone.
“Divine being creates petting zoo. It gets out of hand.”
- The Bible (summarised by John W. Mangrum)

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.
Edgar Allan Poe (1809 - 1849), "Eleonora"

Characters: Kal Shadowhand, Streea Arisa.
Jskee
Dead man walking...

Post by Jskee »

+1
Arkon
World Leader

Post by Arkon »

The primary purpose behind the subdual damage token is to enhance RP. IE A person does subdual damage on a person for the purpose of knocking them out so they can tie them up or something along these lines.

The secondary purpose behind the subdual damage token is to enhance the GA (gentleman's agreement) in that in CvC, DPing is to be avoided unless the other person is being a tool.

It's use is not mandated. It is optional. It was put in to enhance situations where someone wants to knock someone out without having to use a heal kit or taking the chance that the person gets DP'd by accident.
Respect is Earned! Fear is Demanded!
Trinity
Veteran DM

Post by Trinity »

Ditto...what Arkon said.It is also useful for people wanting to spare one another.It's your choice weather you wish to use it not,and is totally up to the player.
ApproachingWinter

Post by ApproachingWinter »

I can understand the first point. I agree it's a great system for non-lethal dueling and I love that the server has it. But aye, as was said it's a person by person basis and it's mandatory. Thanks for the understanding team.
“Divine being creates petting zoo. It gets out of hand.”
- The Bible (summarised by John W. Mangrum)

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.
Edgar Allan Poe (1809 - 1849), "Eleonora"

Characters: Kal Shadowhand, Streea Arisa.
Lord Droke
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Lord Droke »

Heh, thats exactly how I have been using subdual. Glad to hear I've been doing it right. I do not use and never planned on using it for cvc unless the situation calls for it. Most of the time if I dp someone, whitch does happen, I raise them ooc if needed. My question is this, if I choose not to raise someone is it considered a grief? I believe a little relevance should be put on death too, that is why the death penalty is there right? To keep people from going to places where there sure to die and lower lvl charactors from telling tough guys like the high priest of Odin there going to wipe there rears with his face, right? :)
"Professional assasination is the highest form of public service" - Chiun, Master of Sinanju
Dengar
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by Dengar »

I as Amash was only using it for when I knew I was going to attack someone, with an intent from the get go.
EX. Jal'vasia... because I figure me death planing her everytime would ruin the game for her... but...

The more we roleplay together, the more I wish she would suffer more than just being knocked out.

Another EX. Solies, and Gildan... Because they travel with Jal'vasia, and have openly attacked my character. But I think it's because they feel they need to stick up for Jal.

Anyone else it would be open season.

After this post.

No one is safe... I've been deathplaned by a few people...

I know I hate it, so, maybe this can be a way to show characters the way they act, has repercussions!

I'll probably get yelled at for this post... but, I always get yelled at, and I try to address it accordingly!
Why do they call him Boris the bullet dodger?

Because he dodges bulltes Avi!
Meredia

Post by Meredia »

I really hate being DPed. Most do! From an IC perspective, you come back from it anyway... So it's really only annoying from an OOC perspective of lost gold/XP.

I'm not sure how I feel about death systems in general. Lost XP is supposed to equate to lost memories, but you can regain it. I never felt that losing experience was a proper relation to losing any memories you'd worry about losing, since it isn't permanent when you can just gain it back. Relating it to the soul and having it damaged/torn is also very difficult to do for the same reason.

I honestly think there could be more creativity exercised in the whole endeavor of CvC. Running up and killing someone on a plane of eternal battle is really just not as frightening as it might be in the real world. Even the idea of death being damaging to the soul/mind also doesn't seem a practical notion in a plane where such is occurring eternally over and over. There are more creative ways to make someone afraid and to get the adrenaline going than just OOCly annoying the player by DPing them. A lot of these ways are more fun for both parties involved, too. If you know someone you come across is just going to massacre you for whatever reason, it stops being fun, especially for lower-level PCs. Realistically in the Hala setting, the only thing to fear of death seems to be the pain involved with being killed.

There are tons of ways to torment a person and make them afraid... And I'm a happy practitioner of some of those methods, and far prefer them practiced on me over simple death.
VIpAcT
Veteran DM

Post by VIpAcT »

I am a warlock in real-life! And warlocks don't use sub-dual.
Jskee
Dead man walking...

Post by Jskee »

VIpAcT wrote:I am a warlock in real-life! And warlocks don't use sub-dual.
I truly believe this.

OT...

I hate dp'ing people and hate being dp'd myself. However, I also dislike the whiny 8th level loud mouth who constantly gets in the epics face and won't back down. If you were truly IC, this would very rarely happen. That's really the only reason I'd dp someone, is if they wouldn't back down after beaten ~or~ if they broke the G.A.

Of course, this being said, I always try to DP Arkon's, Dune's and LP's characters every chance I get...maybe that's why I am so well liked by them. :D