Question about gods

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

T'Holoth Shadowborn
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Question about gods

Post by T'Holoth Shadowborn »

I was trying to answer a players question in the game the other day and I was unable to.

I've looked for the answer on the boards but haven't been able to find it.

The question was basically, which gods are present on hala?
Does hala have a specific set of gods or are goes from other worlds present here as well?
He was interested in staying in hala and wanted to know if there was a nature type god.
[i]Blessed is the mind too small for doubt[/i]
Though I walk through the vally in the shadows of daemons, I shall fear nothing. For I am what the daemon fears.
Zyndro
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by Zyndro »

I'll add to the questions. I've been wondering that as well. On a prime material world where your god does not exist, you are limited to lower spell levels (nothing above level five, or four, or three, depending on the rule set). Should it be the same on Hala, or does it work differently sense it's an outer plane?

Another question, just out of curiosity: Do the 'dragon spirits' mentioned by Nantes II function as a religion, or is it a philosophy that lacks any possibility for priests due to not having any one defined god? If it does allow priests, what kind of priests? Cleric, druid, or both?

Post by Guest »

On a prime material world where your god does not exist, you are limited to lower spell levels (nothing above level five, or four, or three, depending on the rule set).
That's actually just what avlis does. According to the ruleset offworld clerics can gain power through open portals.

Thanks for the question I'll put a patheon link up under lore
Sable
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Sable »

I think a call has been made on the first part of the question. As an outer plane, the restrictions that apply to the prime material plane do not apply (as in limited spell use).
"Abash'd the Devil stood, And felt how awful goodness is, and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely” John Milton
slave_of_emotions
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by slave_of_emotions »

In the second edition planescape setting casterlevel of clerics decreased on outerplanes depending on how far one was away from your deitys dietys homeplane but it is not releveant for NWN or hala (but still interesting :) )

In second edition clerics did not have to worship a god, it might have as well been some cause or they could be members of a cult, then the Forgotten Realm setting introduced the rule that divine spellcsater have to follow a deity ,after that it was introduced to D&D rules and since that alot worlds are using it :( While it makes sense for clerics, it ruined druids alot. I loved to roleplay druids like they were described in the book of druids, as worshipers of nature. Now when i look at world like avlis it seems like they just got there two types of clerics, so i did not play druids anymore for long....

...what leads me to the question if druids on hala have to worship a god or can worship the nature as a force.
Zelle
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Zelle »

3rd Edition: "Druids receive divine spells from nature; not the gods"

We don't have Avlis's silly rule about druids having to worship a god :P
<Hoplite> Prop your digging yourself he hugest hole ever bro
<Prophecy67> could be
* Lie takes the shovel from Prophecy67
<Hoplite> Your using a back hoe, drunk, in a china shop
<Prophecy67> The hoe
<Prophecy67> is she cute ?
<Hoplite> Considering your drunk, yes
slave_of_emotions
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by slave_of_emotions »

Zelle wrote:3rd Edition: "Druids receive divine spells from nature; not the gods"

We don't have Avlis's silly rule about druids having to worship a god :P
CHEER!!!
teleri
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by teleri »

slave_of_emotions wrote:In the second edition planescape setting casterlevel of clerics decreased on outerplanes depending on how far one was away from your deitys dietys homeplane but it is not releveant for NWN or hala (but still interesting :) )
Nothing has changed in 3rd edition in this regard it is just not coded into the NWN Engine. (Why because it was all supposed to be based in the forgotten realms)
slave_of_emotions wrote:In second edition clerics did not have to worship a god, it might have as well been some cause or they could be members of a cult, then the Forgotten Realm setting introduced the rule that divine spellcsater have to follow a deity ,after that it was introduced to D&D rules and since that alot worlds are using it :( While it makes sense for clerics, it ruined druids alot. I loved to roleplay druids like they were described in the book of druids, as worshipers of nature. Now when i look at world like avlis it seems like they just got there two types of clerics, so i did not play druids anymore for long....
2nd edition Clerics did have to have a god to cast spells above 2nd level wich is still the case. (2nd edition also had power requirements for dieties to grant spell levels) The casting of 1st and 2nd level spells is done through internal belief only.

Druids have always had dieties attached to them this is not new, it has been this way since 1st edition in the pamphlets when the class was introduced by Dragon Magizine...

Cheers,
teleri
[url=http://www.diterlizzi.com/art/games/planescape/index.html]Tony DiTerlizzi[/url]

[url=http://www.mimir.net/]Planescape resource[/url]
Zyndro

Post by Zyndro »

The druid thing is just world-specific. In the basic 3rd edition manual, it says they don't have to have a god. In the Forgotten Realms 3rd edition sourcebook, it says they do have to have one on that world. In other words, it works differently on different worlds and planes, and it's up to whoever's in charge of the world's design to set it one way or the other.
wyldhunt

Post by wyldhunt »

If Ysgard is anything like the origional Ysgard (that is, based off of the Norse, Viking, religion), then it will contain the origional Ysgardian dieties.

This would include:

Tyr: god of justice and honor
Thor: god of strength, storms, and craftsmen
Frey: god of fertility
Freya: Goddess of warriors and beauty. Controlled the Valkeries
Odin: Father of the gods. God of Magic and battle
Loki: The trickster. God of deceipt and treachery
Hel: The dark lady.Goddess of the underworld. Owns the souls of undeserving dead.

Of course, with out a DM agreeing with me, this list means nothing.... :P
Sarmanos
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Sarmanos »

Given Hala is in the Outer Planes I'd personally would say that any deity from the Generic DnD Pantheon (Hextor, Obad-hai, Olidammara, Kord, Moradin, etc) are all available. Norse deities don't apply to the generic planes layout as far as deities go though unless its a house rule to let them be used which in this case they aren't at this point in time.
wyldhunt

Post by wyldhunt »

Fair enough.
If you ever decide to include them, or if you want some Ysgardian info to help flesh out the plane a bit more, and you are a bit cloudy on the subject, let me know.
I'm an endless well of knowledge when it comes to the Norse and Ysgard. :)
Void Hamlet
Area Builder

Post by Void Hamlet »

Then, hopefully, we shall see no naargfal (however you spell it) hovering around the airships anytime soon, the dracolich is pretty enough :shock:

P.S. Serimner is welcome! Ever-respawning pork! Uh-la-la!