4th Edition D&D right around the corner.

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

Do you plan on trying D&D 4th Edition?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:44 pm

You can play D&D without a computer?
18%
I can't wait to try it out
41%
I'll stick with 3.5 for the forseable future
24%
What? Give up my AD&D boxed set??
18%

Total votes: 17

Gregpooh
Knight: Church of Pants

4th Edition D&D right around the corner.

Post by Gregpooh »

OK, Pen and paper D&D hits a milestone this weekend with the release of the 4th edition of the game rules. How do you feel about this? Going to rush out and get the new rules? Don't play P&P version at all?

On a related note, when did you get started playing D&D? For me it's been almost 28 years now! :oops: (I started playing when I was 6 month's old) 8)
It takes a [b]Viking[/b] to Raze a Village.
JD Smith
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Re: 4th Edition D&D right around the corner.

Post by JD Smith »

Gregpooh wrote:OK, Pen and paper D&D hits a milestone this weekend with the release of the 4th edition of the game rules. How do you feel about this? Going to rush out and get the new rules? Don't play P&P version at all?
4th edition? really?
I hope its a hellabetter than 3rd was.
Haven't really played PnP since 3rd edition. (butit maight also do with the fact that the rest of the crew aboupt that time moved off to differant cities; too) I never was real thrilled with 3rd editon.
Gregpooh wrote:On a related note, when did you get started playing D&D? For me it's been almost 28 years now! :oops: (I started playing when I was 6 month's old) 8)
Ha - beat you. Been about 31 or 32 years for me.. Getting old and feebeminded; you know.
A.N. Imus: Simon Colin Bernard
Victoria DeVitale: thankya
Victoria DeVitale: I need something shorter
Victoria DeVitale: Sim?
Sable
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Sable »

I was pretty happy with 3rd ed tbh (well, 3.5 really). It was just such a huge improvement on 2nd ed but kept with the old D&D theme - from what I've heard, 4th ed is going to be binning some corner stone concepts, which in the cold light of day were pretty poor concepts, but they have made D&D what it is. If I want to play an more realistic system, I'll play something other than D&D, if I want to play high heroic fantasy, D&D has a special place in my heart.

...and started playing D&D when I was about 7 or 8, so I guess thats 27-28 years of playing for me :(
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

Im happy with 3.5 so its a good chance to pick up some 2nd hand books :wink:

I have been gaming since I was 10, so that would be 21 years next month. I still snap up the odd adnd box set when i see them on auction sites. Good source stuff.
Grovel puts the P in swimming pool.
Small in stature, large in power, narrow of focus and wide of vision
My play/DM times: [url]http://www.ysgard.org/viewtopic.php?highlight=play&t=7671[/url]
Tremayne7

Post by Tremayne7 »

Never played any 3rd Edition D&D. Played a bastardized version of 2nd Edition many moons ago. And that was 22 years ago.

From what I've heard 4th Edition is one I'd like to play tabletop again.
Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning

"If life is a hankerchief, love is the embrodery that makes it more beautiful." - Alexis Dufresne Montjoie

"A Tyrite, a thief, a ranger and a preppy elf were sitting in a bar with a druidess..." -Aranel
Druid523
Wiki Pioneer

Post by Druid523 »

Sadly, my experience with D&D has been mostly through cRPGs (Computer RPGs), my first one being Dark Sun: Shattered Lands for DOS in 1994. Been hooked on the junk ever since. :)

A good friend of mine and I tried to start a PnP thing, on more than one occasion, but it was difficult to find even a third person to join us. Our fun was mostly had in reading the handbooks and other materials, making characters, and having one-event campaigns. :P
Sable

Post by Sable »

Dark Sun was one of the best settings ever written, second is Ravenloft :D
p0m
Major DM

Post by p0m »

I hope they sell a softcopy printed on 2-ply, because that's how good it is.

Also, second ed - ravenloft.
[i]Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers.[/i]
Lord Droke

Post by Lord Droke »

Many of us in the Chicago Crew are all from one 2nd ed D&D group, lol.

I ran for years, until I was so sick of negative numbers I though I was going to puke. I could tell you all some funny stories about that too.

Like the time we wanted to use minatures with a graphed map that we could reuse again and again for mapping. We ended up stealing a huge dry erase board from Slogth/Vildur's work. It was to big to fit in the car and we had no rope so we litterally stuck our hands out the windows and held it there for the whole ride back to Slogth's place, it was 20 below, and we were doing like 40 miles an hour, lol.

Though our group jammed on the second ed for years, we did play 3rd towards the end, but it got to hard for everyone to meet (damned responsibilities!!). and it feel apart, NWN has been our saving grace.

All in all, I was very happy with many of the changes brought on by third. Getting rid of Negative numbers was a biggie! The 3rd ed PNP is very geared towards minature play witch I really liked. I am very interested in 4th ed, though I will probably never get a look at the rules until NWN 3, lol.

We still have a huge collection of 2nd ed books (and third but the second is what we are proud of) and I have a dice set right next to my comp for luck :P.
"Professional assasination is the highest form of public service" - Chiun, Master of Sinanju
Zerub
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by Zerub »

On a related note, when did you get started playing D&D?
Hmmm...probably somewhere around 26 years ago.

We have always played 1st/2nd edition rules. I had never actually played 3/3.5 rules until I played on Avlis. There are a lot of things that I like about the new rules especially an armor class that does not run from 10 thru -10, but instead works the way that it should.

I bought the 3.5 books to do some converting, but never got around to it. Seems that the older I get, the less time that I have. I doubt if I will be doing anything with 4.0. I don't really have enough time to play or DM online like I would like to and considering I am usually the DM when we play PnP and that takes a lot more time than DMing online, I guess I'll wait until I retire and then maybe play version 50. ;)

So, since it has been out a bit, has anyone else played with it any? Most of what I heard was not really too good.

Scott
Kali
Knight: Church of Pants

Post by Kali »

I have not played 4. I play 3.5. My group invested quite a bit in books, and now you can pick up 3.5 books 2nd hand at good prices. We like the game so see no reason to change.
Wiki
[url]http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=Brynja_Einarsd%C3%B3ttir[/url]
orvarg
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

good god i'm old

Post by orvarg »

my first set of d+d was 1st edition boxed rules with modules to play !
such as module B1 decent into the unknown! this was before the break thru of AD+D . good god i feel old ! LOL
JD Smith

Post by JD Smith »

PPffftt

You ain't old unless you can recall using the original... ummm ... 5 x 8 D&D pamphlet rules

*coughs*

Oh ... and did you have the red or the blue boxed set rules?
Michiko

Post by Michiko »

Would be very neat to try as I have never tried any of this pen and paper stuff :)
JD Smith

Post by JD Smith »

I'd love to get together for some PnP stuff ... but ummmmm ...

no one around :(
Michiko

Post by Michiko »

Well I know the local Sports & Hobbie shop hosts games like these often but it seems mostly Warhammer (originally I looked into it) and I dunno, i always got a creepy vibe going into that store because I feel outnumbered =P
Zerub
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by Zerub »

You ain't old unless you can recall using the original... ummm ... 5 x 8 D&D pamphlet rules
Whew...I did not use those so I must not be old yet. ;) I can recall thinking that 50 was so old when I was young, now that it is just around the corner, it really, really looks pretty young.

I'd love to get together for some PnP stuff ... but ummmmm ...
no one around Sad
Yeah, same here. I have a couple around that play, but it is hard to all get together. I use to get some of the high school kids to play, but I have not even done that in a while. I am not sure if any of them even know what PnP is anymore. :(

The other side is that I really don't have enough time to write a lot up like I use to in my high school and college day. DMing online has made it a bit easier, because you can find someone on most of the time, but I still don't get to do it as much as I once did.

So, no comments on 4.0?

Scott
Cushmon
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Cushmon »

Eesh, a long time ago I played AD&D. I guess I was 15 at the time. We just moved cross country back in August so as everything was in boxes; I dug into some OLD boxes and I found my original blue 'starter set' box with the red dragon on it, some modules, all the original dice (blue 12, yellow 4, dark green 8, etc.), etc. etc. The local PnP group I've hooked up with says those dice are pretty rare.

And speaking of 4th Ed, the PnP group just got done with a big campaign arc so we're going to spend the next 4-5 sessions doing some 4e mechanics testing with various levels of characters to get a feel everything. I can report back in a couple months!
JD Smith

Post by JD Smith »

Michiko wrote:Well I know the local Sports & Hobbie shop hosts games like these often but it seems mostly Warhammer (originally I looked into it) and I dunno, i always got a creepy vibe going into that store because I feel outnumbered =P
You still have hobbie shops? Around here; seems they've all been replaced by Collectable Cards and Comics shops. And they just return a blank stare when you ask about PnP D&D
Michiko

Post by Michiko »

Yup, town I'm in has 2 Hobbie shops surprisingly :)