Why did you give your character their name?

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

Tremayne7
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Why did you give your character their name?

Post by Tremayne7 »

Ok, not a great title, but I am curious why people choose the names for their characters. Was it based on a character you'd read about in a book? Seen in a movie? Have some meaning to you?

Aria Dy'ner.... Aria means "air" in Italian or in operatic terms a song sung by one character (a musical speech by one person if you will). She being a bard it was a perfect first name for her. Dy'ner came from the NWN name generator and I liked it, so I kept it.

Peter Andar.... Well, ok, see my signature. If you know where that quote is from, you know since I was quite young that I believe in Neverland and fairies and don't really want to grow up. :wink: Andar is a name I made up for a character in a story I write in my head sometimes. Maybe one day with an insane amount of luck I may actually write it down.

Mark Paragon.... He is my old pnp character I used to play with a group of my friends. Mark's background are the old adventures we had in that game. The "real" Mark was a character also made up for the same story I write in my head and is the hero. Mark means "warrior", which he is. And Paragon is a "pinnacle of perfection", which the original character choose that name as he strived to over come his past. D&D Mark had it as his given name and claimed to be anything less than perfect.

So, I have told you my reasons for my characters' names. I'm curious to find out now.
Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning

"If life is a hankerchief, love is the embrodery that makes it more beautiful." - Alexis Dufresne Montjoie

"A Tyrite, a thief, a ranger and a preppy elf were sitting in a bar with a druidess..." -Aranel
corwink
Wiki Pioneer

Post by corwink »

Well Corwin came from the Chronicles of Amber series of books by Roger Zelazny. I read it 15yrs ago and it's still one of my favorite series'. Kinslayer....well that one is FOIG :wink:

Dorak Belithagard, he is one of my favorite pnp character i played back in 2nd edition. His name came from the 2nd edition dwarven handbook, in the back of the book was a dwarvish name generator, i rolled it and that's the name that came out :D

Kyle Navar...no idea I was trying to think of a name for him when first made and Kyle is what poped in my head, same with Navar.
Gone
Verandis

Post by Verandis »

Lalant and Varian Greftlyn were both names of pen and paper characters, though neither is the same character. I think Varian's last name was the last name of some other character in my Vault and I was in a hurry to think of a name at the time. It has no meaning.

Arcanen was in an elven name database somewhere, meaning narrow water. Out of some source on innate cruelty to my character, I picked this one out of the other elven names because it ironically had the word arcane in it. Silverthorn just happened to follow the elven naming conventions and I wanted to pick something that wasn't necessarily pretty and frilly (after all, name suggestions in the 3.5 book were things like 'moonflower.' Gah!) Ironically, I realized afterward that his deity's favored weapon was named Thornbite. Oops. That part was an accident.

Arpier was a name I liked on an old naming list somewhere. I used to have list of names written down in my notebooks for when I was running pen and paper games and needed to name an NPC in a hurry. It has no relevant meaning. Melanna I just made up on the spot.
Michiko
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Michiko »

I've been pretty lazy with names honestly.

Michiko Maeda - I've used the name Michiko in almost every MMO I've played however never really gave her a name that wasn't already a billion letters long. I have a book of the top 20 most popular japanese family names so I looked at them all, and Maeda was the easiest to spell/pronounce.

Aiko Heartfire - partially lazyness, and partially IC'ly background. Aiko, I just settled again on a easy name to type and it was one of the first names listed in the book I used . Heartfire she adopted due to having set someone on fire after getting angry/rage filled.

Kary Chersomething or other - go go random name generator =P
Lady Talia
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by Lady Talia »

Sher'Cha is from Avlis and 1/2 tnanshi, so I used that language, and it roughly translated to "heart's song" or "song of the heart". Sher literally translates to song.

as for little Runa, it's in the Wiki..but I'll be nice and past it here :wink:

The first element Alf- is identical with Old Icelandic alfr, "elf.

The second element -rún is from OW.Norse rún, itself derived from Germanic *rúnó, with an original sense of "secret, hidden knowledge". As a second element -rún should be understood as having the meaning, "she who possesses hidden knowledge". Found in West Scandinavia as a mythological name, and as the Old English name Ælfrun. A short form of names in Rún- or -rún is Runa.
Coyoterex

Post by Coyoterex »

When I created Diego, I wanted him to be a bit of a swashbuckler. So I started thinking of what type of name would fit with that kind of character. I am a bit Princess Bride fan, so decided to make him a bit like Inigo Montoya. Since Inigo would have been too obvious, I started thinking of what other Spanish names would work, and went with Diego. DeLeonne, was something I made up. It took a bit of playing around with combinations, but finally decided upon that. Looks to me like it could mean "the lion". Strangely enough, I was actually running around Avlis not long ago, and ran into someone else that took the surname DeLeonne. He also thought ooc, that he had come up with something new and original. :D
Diego DeLeonne
Mayor of Nuvar
[i]Because to do good, you must look good.[/i]
Jenai
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by Jenai »

Jenai comes from Stargate Atlantis. The Jenai are a race of Hostile humans. Rayne I came up with Navar is from Lady Hawk and I had a ferret pre Corwin named Navar. My games spy Soulkey is from when My mom. She played PnP AD&D. Soulky was a sorceress and one of my moms favorite characters .
Quote:
Jenai even at near death is about as helpless as that kitten in Mithro. *Daemona*
Samhaim

Post by Samhaim »

Lucus (Luke) Greftlyn was an npc in a game a ran along time ago, though my character is only loosely based on that npc. Lucus us because I screwed up on my first creation of him and had to start over :P.

Miasha Jarnen was also named and based on a PC I played for a short amount of time. She was a half nymph Cleric/Sorcerer/Mystic Theurge, hence why I kept with the same basic build. Her name I chose because it sounded pretty.

I know its not one of my PCs but i figure I would explain my GSID. Samhaim is based on the name Samhain which is a celebration of the end of the harvest season in Gaelic culture. As the festival resides on All Saints Day, some old christian's believed that Samhain was the Celtic god of death, which simply isn't true. So, Samhaim is indeed a purposeful misspelling of the word Samhain if anyone was curious of that. For more information on Samhain, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samhain
Idonia

Post by Idonia »

Lily- Short for Lillian, my grandmother's name, and a name I've envied for a while. I like L's

Eirwyn- Welsh for White as Snow... big originality there :P (aasimar for those who don't know)

Ninniachel- A character I tried out a while ago, with the last name Nereyja (made up) but Ninniachel is tolkien elvish for Rainbow.
[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Lily]Lily[/url]
Breach_in_Protocol

Post by Breach_in_Protocol »

Might as well chime in here as well. :O)

Eric the Cleric is named for a PnP cleric that I have played for a number of years. When I discovered that there was a NWN PW with Aesir deities I had to jump all over it since Eric in PnP was a devout worshiper of Odin. Just couldn't pass it up. The simple rhyming name was a bit of a protest/poke in the side of my RP buddies constantly devising the most complex, elaborate names (that even they at times had trouble pronouncing). When it was my turn to name my character I announced that I was naming him Eric the Cleric. I was half joking but then the idea of a viking cleric began to develop and you can't get much more viking a name than Eric. Despite their protests the name stuck.

Rhys comes from an Old Welsh Surname and the literal translation is "ardour" or "passion". It fit the concept of a semi-savage, gladiator wemic fighter/cleric of Thor rather well. He's all about the passion of battle and the fight. It suited him quite nicely.
Last edited by Breach_in_Protocol on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Durkon: "Praise ta Thor, whose hammer smooshes tha evil o' tha world." OOTS - Strip 305

Haley: "As current leader of the Order of the Stick, it is my solemn duty to call for the execution of our oldest, most reliable strategy. RUN!!" OOTS - Strip 455
ambrosia

Post by ambrosia »

When I created Nerice, I had a pretty good idea of the kind of char I wanted to make:

Nerice is named after the red-headed spit-fire Kira Nerice from Deep Space 9. Nerice means "Powerful Woman" / "Strong Woman" .. and I thought it was a perfect fit. 8)

Bloodforge is me stealing from one of Xune's old PnP chars (Faford the Barbarian!), because I am not as creative as he is. :wink: ...I thought the name would allude nicely to the more tribal background I imagine Nerice came from. (..as well as an oh-so-subtle hint that Nerice is not a wimp. :P)

In total opposite, I had no idea what kind of char Bianca would be:

Bianca was actually named by Xune.... I was playing with the char-generator with new looks (paperdolls! :lol: ) .. and when she was created, Xune said "she looks like a *grandly* 'Bianca Sorturo' to me." (told you he was creative.. :wink: ) I just LOVED the name and decided she had to be "officially created" .. and when I heard her voice-set, her personality just ... bounded out of her. :lol:
Xaila

Post by Xaila »

Stealing my reply from a similar thread on the Arkaz forums -

Azura...I actually never really determined the exact pronunciation. I tend to say Ah-zoo-rah, but some say it as "Ah-zhure-ah" so it sounds more like Azure. The name is simply a variant on the color Azure. The rest of her female sibling all have color-related names such as Periwinkle, etc. The last name Starwind just came about because I couldn't think of anything else, and it happened to be the last name of a family of elfish people I created on The Sims 2 and I'd previously used Azura as one of the names of the daughters.

Me'rrrokash Ba'shaak is said "Mey-ROH-KAH-sh", which emphasis on the middle syllables. Ba'shaak is "Boh-shock". The first name comes from some Wemic tribal naming system I contrived in which the children are named using syllables (or the whole name of) both parents' names. Mer's father is Rro'kash and his mother is Shal'mer. His paternal grandmother is Rok'barra. The first names are basically used to show not only family line but who the parents were. The last name Ba'shaak is actually an altered spelling of my mother's maiden name, Boschock. As for why his name has 3 r's...uhh, wemics can't spell well?

And in addition, Azura's companion Martok is named for my favorite Klingon character. He was a General and later became Chancellor of the Empire. Glad to see I'm not the only one who put a Trek reference somewhere... *Prods Nerice*
ChukchiDog
Knight: Church of Pants
Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Post by ChukchiDog »

Great thread!

Gaius Cornelius Gildan came from a world that was partly roughly based on ancient Rome. The character owes something to both Gaius Cornelius Tacitus and Gaius Cornelius Gallo, the former an orator and writer, the latter a soldier and poet of love. Though I did not know it when I chose the names, I find that Gaius means "rejoice", and Cornelius means "horn", for what that's worth.

Gildan I made up. I started with Gordon, which is my granddad's name; he was one of the inspirations for the character. And then I added gilding; i.e. covering in gold, because the character is in many ways associated with concepts relating to being golden.

When I was naming KalGalaz, I (and Gildan) read through Elvish dictionaries and I (and Gildan) found out that in Tolkien's Elvish (from memory of my notes at the time, now...) "Gil" can mean "spark of light" and "Dan" can mean "maker", so now Gildan jokes that in Elvish his name means either "Illuminator", or "Arsonist"!

And no, nothing is ever simple with me. :)
Gildan: "I'm not as good as I once was, but i'm as good once as I ever was."

"I'm stubborn as those garbage bags that time cannot decay; I'm junk, but I'm still holding up this little wild bouquet." -Leonard Cohen, "Democracy"
whirlin_merlin
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by whirlin_merlin »

Random generator FTW. Though I do click a bunch of times before seeing something I like.
Daecon
Knight of the Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Daecon »

Damian and Cutler were both names I borrowed from a list of actors I liked who featured in a film. And then Elysian people asked if my PC was Dameon, so I added Gerard to his name and wrote it into the character back story. Gerard was also a name I borrowed from an actor...

Yep, that simple :P
blue wolfy

Post by blue wolfy »

ok this could take awhile... bare with me. i have a preexsisting world in my head i borrow names from alot of time.

Lady Sylvia 'Sly" Moonrider - My first character in CoPaP, i picked elf, first time ever with an elven character i wanted something 'fancy' but 'foresty' for a regal elf

Cassandra "cassie" Sinclair - Based off a genee bunny girl character of mine. Cassandra meands 'bearer of death' thought it a good name for an immorta genee that gets 'reborn' to live new lives (her last life she had been named Bunny Hopp)

Sakura "suki" Darkstar - taken from a preexsiting character Sakura is japanese for 'cherry blossum' i was asked to play the child produced from a rape of a unicorn by a demon. the last name was from threir characters, oh funny enough her nickname suki, was just a short version of sakure. turns out is a japanese word as well meaning "to like"

Coranthia "coco" Rennahan - pick a letter at random... C... and boom inspiration... the last name Rennahan came latter from SL as last names there you have to pick from a premade list

'bob' --- even i dont remembner the 'real' spelling ok..named to piss off metagamers, yep... seriosly. full name is acctually.... "
Bellincramelos Ophillia Bigzilla" and yeah i had to look it up

Frin Anglfind - NWN name generator

Tanaris Andar - since it was made based off tremayne's character Peter i asked herto pick a letter... T.. and insporation in seconds, Tanaris. Andar came from peter.
Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

FOIG was named after the FOIG word for FOIG. So FOIG goes by FOIG because he FOIG.
[i]I live yet do not live in me,
am waiting as my life goes by,
and die because I do not die.
- St John of the Cross.[/i]

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=User:Xanthalas][size=75]WIKI INFO[/size][/url]
Serenyddion
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Serenyddion »

I've used the name Serenyddion for awhile and always for characters who are (originally, at least) druids. In some ancient dialect of Gaelic it's the name of a particular star. Back then, Druid was pretty much just a name for the learned-class, a subset of which were astronomers. So it all kind of ties together, in a sense. It's certainly been convenient that it's also rather long and complex like most dragon names.
Trinity
Veteran DM

Post by Trinity »

*wonders if the FOIG was really FOIG because it was FOIG..or just the FOIG happend to be FOIG*
Druid523
Wiki Pioneer

Post by Druid523 »

Very brief background: Scel never knew his parents and lived on the streets of Mikona for most of his youth, up until his late teens. at which point he was invited to join the Order of Vorin, a monastic order that resides in the Great Library of Mikona. He was given a new name by the monks; prior to this, he was given different names by the youths he ran the streets with (mostly nicknames).

After a few years of study, Scel abruptly decided to leave the Order under the cover of night to begin a new life. With the use of a text on abandoned languages, Scel finally gave himself a name to signify his new philosophy and new goal in life. "Sceluscio Potementia"

The language is Classical Latin. The name may no longer be fully relevant to Scel anymore; or it may. :P And only one character (other than Scel) has ICly learned what his name means! I'm sure everyone knows who that is. Haha.
Idonia

Post by Idonia »

MMMM DELICIOUS :D

I noticed you had posted on this topic, Druid, and rushed right away to find out the juicy meaning of the extravagant

Sceluscio Potementia
[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Lily]Lily[/url]
Rudiki
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Rudiki »

I did, in fact, google the name early on, but got nothing. :wink:
13thHour : [Tell] *your alignment has long since passed any possible further move to 'sexy' due to reinventing the scale*

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Lexy]Lexy on the Wiki![/url]
Druid523
Wiki Pioneer

Post by Druid523 »

Heh. The name is a compounding of four different Latin words, so you'll just have to take your best guess as to the original four words (the last name is pretty easy to figure out). :)
JD Smith

Post by JD Smith »

For those of you that know 'Kate' - that comes from a 'bastardization'; if you will, of her formal name. She never really gave her true name to many people in game. Only about 5 folks - not including her in game husband. But somehow; her true name ended up on the tavern boards in the wedding announcments. 'Kate' came about from the use of just the first two letters of her name - KT. From there; it got further changed to 'Katie' - which 'Kate' hated; so she shortened it to 'Kate' However; someone mistakely use the name 'Katie' in Star's prescence - and that name has now made a return to usage - annoying 'Kate' - which is exactly why Star continues to use it. :lol: Love you Star. :wink:

The name K'Tomma D'Kal origianlly was used in a D&D PnP game. She was a thief/mage/fighter; set in Forgotten Realms. The DM let us vote on the setting; and that's what won the votes. However; he was crazy about Ravenloft. So; even though the voting put us in FR; after some time he 'forced' our characters into a swamp filled with a strange fog. When we emerged; we were in this strange land. Now; this DM also used his own 'home made critical hits and fumbles charts'. One that seemed more like "How can I screw the players". One classic fumble by one of our players using a two handed sword went like this. Player A; using a 2-handed sword in close combat rolls a '1'. The DM asks him to roll percentile dice. Player A then rolls something like a '03'. The DM looks at his chart and laughs. He then gives the following as the combat result.

"Player A swings his 2-handed sword; triping as he does so. He hits Player C for triple damage; then continuing his fall, he impales himself on his own 2-handed sword - breaking the blade off at the hilt while still impaled within his body."

Now; he tranpsorted us against our will into Ravenloft. My character, mainly an archer in combat; but used a longsword if forced into close combat had a skeleton roll a natural 20 on her. The DM made his critical hit roll; and determined that the skeleton had severed my character's hand - just behind the wrist. And; he said that in Ravenloft - dead things always become undead things. So; my severed hand immediately became animated - like Thing; from the Addams Family. Except evil. And wanted to kill me. So; my character - with one hand only - became useless. Cannot use her primary weapon. Cannot work as a thief because of only one hand. Cannot cast magic because no longer able to perform the proper somantic components. And; if using a sword in her left hand - was given every penalty for dual-wielding without ambidextrous usage. While it would be possible to reattach the hand - it would be very unpleasant; as it would remain an evil animated thing and would try to strangle my character while asleep. So; I reserrected her in NWN on Avlis - making her a rogue/sorc to start; and planned on adding Arcane Archer. Things changed; never got the AA, and she became more of a Sorc than a thief.

As far as the name and spelling goes - that's mostly made up stuff with a strong tie to Star Trek and the old Star Fleet Battles game. I personally have always liked Klingons; and in a lot of the SFB stories - the Klingons used a lot of "K'<name>" like stuff. SO - that's where K'Tomma D'Kal came from. oh - then after the marrage - she used her husband's last anme - thus she's known as 'Kate Benneset'.

Ro was a lot simpler. I rolled a six sided die to determine gender (even #'s female; odd #'s male); and got a female character. When it came time to naming her; I rolled 1d20; and clicked the name generator that many times. I erased the first name; and plugged in the name of someone I once used to know in Florida and liked her name - then tweaked the last name a bit to make it 'flow' nicer. And TA-DA - Rowena Fynolte was born.
A.N. Imus: Simon Colin Bernard
Victoria DeVitale: thankya
Victoria DeVitale: I need something shorter
Victoria DeVitale: Sim?
_JM_

Post by _JM_ »

Used to be in X-Wing vs TIE Fighter groups and called my character “Dare” after “Dan Dare, Pilot of the Future”.

(That character got first name “Voss” after both Werner Voss, a W.W.I German pilot, and “Voss Parck” an Star Wars Imperial Fleet officer…and then quickly changed to JoVoss when it was pointed out “Voss Dare” had the initials “V.D.”)

Dare changed over time with other things to Dareau, influenced I think by a pair of good Star Trek: The Next Generation novels by Jean Lorrah where a character had that name.

When it came to making a NWN character I pretty much expected I’d have to start over so I didn’t put a great deal of thought into the name. My e-mail address was “jmdare” from combining my initials and “dare” so I gave the character the usual last name of “Dareau” and the first name of “JM”…or “Jayem”. But then my character got some nice stuff in his Avlis newbie quest and made some friends and I just kept on going with him as by the time I realised what mistakes I had made in his build I’d got rather past the point of considering him disposable. :P