Auto Server Resets

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

jarman
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by jarman »

It should get harder the more you steal or the more you murder. Common sense dictates that if you continue to steal that the person you are stealing from either runs out of items to steal or comes up with better security measures.

Maybe script it so that if you steal from a house you have to wait so many days for it to replenish. The more you steal the longer it takes or the harder it gets (more traps, deadlier traps, difficult traps). That way it forces the thief to use more of their advanced abilities instead of just using what they received as a 1st level thief.

Not trying to make it hard on anyone in particular but rather make it more challenging.
[ArcanE]

Post by [ArcanE] »

Perhaps an even better solution is that instead of scripting all that AI we would just log all NPC murders and the circumstances of the murder like current spells on killer, polymorphed or not, disguised or not etc ...

Then let NWNX output all that to a database for logging and let a DM review those logs once in a while and act accordingly to the circumstances (change factions, etc ...)

Sounds like a better way to handle NPC and Merchant killings. And most important this is easier to script that some advanced AI system for NPC's

8)
jarman

Post by jarman »

[ArcanE] wrote:... let a DM review those logs once in a while and act accordingly to the circumstances (change factions, etc ...) ...
This is the best way but also the hardest on the DM. Because the DM not only has to look through logs but then they have to keep an eye out for the PC. Some PC's that do these acts are not native to Hala. All of this takes the DM away from interacting with the players and that is something I (and others I am sure) would not like to see happen.

I like the idea of tagging a PC but I most admit that I have not thought through this a lot but here is what I am thinking about.

Stealing:
Tag the PC once a theft has occured. A tagged PC that tries to steal again from the same house will find the DCs on the locks gradually get harder or traps are applied and they get harder. Start making the thief work for it!

Murders:
I am still trying to figure out what to do here and have been looking at everyones replies. IG I have no problems with someone murdering an NPC as long as they have a solid valid reason for doing it IG. Just because the merchant jacked up his prices on the PC is not a reason for murder.

I am also aware that any solution that does not involve human interaction will require a lot of scripting and there are not that many scripters around.
Arkon
World Leader

Post by Arkon »

I think for the sake of ending this arguement before it goes any further I will go out on a limb and say we will not likely be changing the way things are done in game. If you aren't caugth by a DM, then you likely were not caught. However, if you ARE caught by a DM... In WHATEVER form you may be in.. expect to get the hell beat out of you. Personally I'm sick of seeing people kill NPCs and rob houses every time there is a server reset or mod reload. Would you HONESTLY Go back and re rob a place you just robbed a day ago? No, you probably wouldn't, so doing so in game is also Metagaming. So that argument holds not water with me. Also, if you are caught by a DM doing any of the afore mentioned things, and We try to RP you on it, Do not do the typical things I see happening on a daily basis... those things being,

A) Logging to avoid punishiment
B) Arguing with us in the DM channel about it
C) Using area transitions to pull the old escape and change tactic.

Why this last one? Think about it. You cross the transition from Nagritch to the Nagritch Docks. That is a huge wide open area. Don't you think that that guard or whatever that is chasing you is going to see you change? I do, And that is exactly how I am going to DM it. As a player of a Changeling character I know all about this stuff, and I know the tricks that players like to pull. So yes... take this as a warning, threat, whatever. If you get caught committing murder or theft, Do not try the above things. At best we are just going to RP your capture and possible death.. at worse and for repeat offenders, you could find yourself vault jailed and/or banned for Metagaming :)

Have a nice day.
Respect is Earned! Fear is Demanded!
[ArcanE]

Post by [ArcanE] »

Arkon wrote:Have a nice day.
Arkon for president!!