What do Ysgardians fear?

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

Rali'vinee
Squire: Church of Pants

What do Ysgardians fear?

Post by Rali'vinee »

I was talking to a friend today and they asked me what do I think Ysgardians fear.

For instance, on prime worlds, it's usually undead. But what about for outer planes? Ours in particular.

So, two questions:

What do Ysgardians fear in general?

What do your pc's fear on a personal level?
[i][b]Arkon: "[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=Rali%27vinee_Ish%27tarestacia][color=#00BF00]Rali'vinee[/color][/url] is at the same time, the most lovable character I've ever come across, and the singularly most infuriating."[/b][/i]
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

I would assume Ysgardians would fear ‘soul destroying’ effects that would bring about a ‘final death’.

And on a personal note only two of my PCs have any real fears.

Morgan: Herself and her capacity for real nasty violence.

Brynja: Telepathic attacks, Inn rooms, people touching her, crowds, being beaten, a group from her past, being helpless, intimacy, confined spaces, undead (they give her the willies). Hmm, now that I right that down its quite a bit, and there are likley a few I'm missing. Perhaps oozes and slimes as well. She thinks they are icky.

Grovel fears lots of things, I just play him as generally fearful (little coward) while Malik isn’t really that sort of person and I can't think of anything he is afraid of, cautious sure, but not afraid.
Grovel puts the P in swimming pool.
Small in stature, large in power, narrow of focus and wide of vision
My play/DM times: [url]http://www.ysgard.org/viewtopic.php?highlight=play&t=7671[/url]
Verandis
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by Verandis »

What do Ysgardians fear?

Losing loved ones.

Losing favor with their god.
Aniril
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by Aniril »

By ysgardians ... do you mean only born natives to the plane?

I know one recent newcome petitioner that has a great fear of dragons ...
Bianca
Knight of the Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Bianca »

Bianca doesn't fear anything Because Kord is the AWESOMES!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

(*cough* spiders. and golems. and spiders. and Alexis turning out to still be an Evil Lexy. And Ser never returning. And spiders. *cough*)
Idonia

Post by Idonia »

Since everyone's PC is an "adventurer" they seem to think that gives them license not to fear anything. I've seen complete newbie chars acting all cocky around really huge and badass things you should be roleplaying RUNNING THE FU&&* AWAY from.

"This is the plane of eternal battle, I've seen worse blah blah" (and I'm guilty of that myself, but that's just because Lily is cocky and proud) well aren't you still a little shaky from all that adrenaline pumping through your body, the moment you realized that that monsters claws could eviscerate you six different ways?

I think the answer is Ysgardians fear no one because it's been a long time since they all really had their asses kicked, I mean like EVERYONE gets whooped, and keeps getting whooped, until it's knocked into their head "Hmm maybe we should be a bit apprehensive of these enemies..."

I would give the unofficial rpotm award to anyone who makes an actual chicken PC, ( A DRAGON, RUUUN) because waking up on a plane of eternal battle, with no memories, and no knowledge of how to defend yourself SHOULD = shityourpants.
[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Lily]Lily[/url]
ambrosia

Post by ambrosia »

I would have to say that answer has changed a lot for Nerice from the time she was created until now.

Verandis wrote:What do Ysgardians fear?

Losing loved ones.

Losing favor with their god.
That would be her top two these days too, for general purposes. Edit: But yes, as Xan said, real specifics would be by DM request. I wouldn't post them.
Last edited by ambrosia on Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aniril
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by Aniril »

Idonia wrote:I would give the unofficial rpotm award to anyone who makes an actual chicken PC, ( A DRAGON, RUUUN) because waking up on a plane of eternal battle, with no memories, and no knowledge of how to defend yourself SHOULD = shityourpants.
Does this mean that John wins?
Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

I think the definition of fear has been blurred far too greatly to easily define any causation.

Not to mention, there is a obvious distinction of PC and NPC, (Whether or not this should be, is another topic.)

If any DM wants a general thesis on fears from my PC's, they should ask, as it is a rather diverse and profound topic too hard to nail down, and too detailed for public view.
[i]I live yet do not live in me,
am waiting as my life goes by,
and die because I do not die.
- St John of the Cross.[/i]

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=User:Xanthalas][size=75]WIKI INFO[/size][/url]
Rudiki
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Rudiki »

"I would give the unofficial rpotm award to anyone who makes an actual chicken PC..."

Give it to Akai, then. Soleis is an excellent example of a PC who realistically fears scary things, and fears pain and death. He often opts out of doing scary things, and when he feels he must do scary things for a good cause he is noticeably frightened about it. He doesn't travel to Arkaz because he fears being nearly drowned every time he goes there.
13thHour : [Tell] *your alignment has long since passed any possible further move to 'sexy' due to reinventing the scale*

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Lexy]Lexy on the Wiki![/url]
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

Yip! Love how skittish he can be
Grovel puts the P in swimming pool.
Small in stature, large in power, narrow of focus and wide of vision
My play/DM times: [url]http://www.ysgard.org/viewtopic.php?highlight=play&t=7671[/url]
terror2001
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by terror2001 »

Seems some players have a fear of others metagaming....

I guess there are two types of Ysgardians. Native-born and non-natives.

Native-born I have no idea what they would fear other than a permanent death which everyone fears. I would assume natives are mortals so a healthy fear of death would seem prudent, though, if they grow up with the knowledge of everyone comes back from death the majority of the time they may not fear it. Torture and Pain maybe.

Non-natives I suppose depends on what they remember if they are a petitioner (aren't petitioners supposed to be spirits or something, already dead?), and normal mortal fears if they are still "alive" from entering the plane through a portal.

Vicky has a fear of people finding out what she is and hating her for it. She also has a fear of ending up alone and unwanted which relates to the first fear. Also the normal mortal fears of a permanent death, but also a fear of not being with her goddess in the final end.

Sally has a fear of Illithids, of being put in a small confined space, of going insane, of losing her adopted family.
Player of:
Vicky (Vilia the Fairy)
darkfire
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by darkfire »

* Rubs hands together menacingly. *
[quote]WrathOG777: This is a roleplaying game. There is no such thing as winning or losing. Only playing.[/quote]
silverdragonams
Head DM

Post by silverdragonams »

What is feared by NPCs is highly dependant on the faction they belong to. Citizens of Whitewood, Takaii and Nagritch actually are afraid of undead thanks to Shagaraths influence. Most of Hala has a healthy fear of fiends and chromatic dragons as well.

On the mainland side they mostly fear displeasing the Gods and fear itself displeases them. After all, this is the Heroic Plane of Battle.

Do Natives of Ysgard fear death, permanent or otherwise?
Yes and No. They fear death in disgrace. This obviously means they fear death in weakness...from sickness or old age etc. But, Ysgardians are not stupid. Going to the halls hurts. Going to the halls in a battle means you've let their companions down and now they are more likely to join you. Going to the halls means you've probably made a mistake, either in the fight or by picking the fight in the first place (After all, Odin is not just a god of battle, but a god of wisdom too).

So, the not so obvious side of death is the disgrace of losing a battle because you didn't give 100%. Ysgardians avoid the halls if at all possible because if you're there you probably shouldn't be. The real catch to this is, if a warrior has taken on the attitude of "oh well, dead again, I'll just come back tomorrow." then they are definitely in disgrace because no one with that attitude is giving it their all.

But I digress.

My point is having a phobia or two is one thing, you are not going to find any natives or petitioners, PC or NPC, who are absolutely chicken. Again, this is the Heroic Plane of Battle and those who do not fit into the ideology of the plane move on to another unless there is some powerful influence keeping them here.
Gregpooh
Knight: Church of Pants

Post by Gregpooh »

silverdragonams wrote: The real catch to this is, if a warrior has taken on the attitude of "oh well, dead again, I'll just come back tomorrow." then they are definitely in disgrace because no one with that attitude is giving it their all.
Or, perhaps they grew up hearing stories about the afterlife that awaited those who died in valiant battle. Perhaps they heard tales of a life (death?) where warriors could prove their mettle in combat against all manner of foes. Perhaps they heard that when they were slain, they would be given the hospitality of Odin's hall, there to drink and recount the day's battles with other warriors blessed by Odin. Then they would rise upon the morn to fight again, dying the final death eventually in service to Odin during the time of Ragnarok.

Perhaps a person who grew up innundated with such tales would not fear death in the afterlife. What then would they fear? Perhaps they would fear things that are hurtful to the soul rather than to the body. Perhaps they would fear the loss of their paradise. Perhaps they would fear the incursion of outside elements which threaten not only their existence, but the existence of the entire plane. Perhaps they fear the loss of the way of life they came to love.

Perhaps such fears have already been realised.
It takes a [b]Viking[/b] to Raze a Village.
silverdragonams
Head DM

What you seem to be missing Gregpooh is that Ysgard is not Valhalla, even though Hala is named after it.

When a mortal dies on the prime, they go to the outer plane most fitting for their personalty as a petitioner. They await the judgement of their god and when a petitioner or a born resident of Ysgard dies here one of many things can happen. Usually they just pass through the halls and return because it isn't their time. Sometimes they are found worthy of joining their god in Valhalla, Hel, or Sessrumnir. Sometimes they remain on the plane but as an immortal servant to their god (such as an Einheir or Valkyrie). Sometimes they are sent back to the prime. Sometimes a soul moves on to a different plane because their outlook changed. Sometimes a soul simply disappears. Nobody can say for sure what happens.

And that's the scary part about death on a plane full of near immortals. A person can hope they are found worthy, but really they have no clue what will happen to them.

What you posted may be Seamus's point of view and you are free to argue it. But please remember world lore and NPC attitudes are up for the team to decide.
Verandis

Post by Verandis »

silverdragonams wrote:So, the not so obvious side of death is the disgrace of losing a battle because you didn't give 100%. Ysgardians avoid the halls if at all possible because if you're there you probably shouldn't be. The real catch to this is, if a warrior has taken on the attitude of "oh well, dead again, I'll just come back tomorrow." then they are definitely in disgrace because no one with that attitude is giving it their all.
I guess I should ask if members the blue and gray forts of rockgate are in disgrace? :shock: I remember one of the conversations from that area.
silverdragonams
Head DM

No, Einherjar are not petitioners. PC's assume they are because no one has ever bothered to ask. Einherjar are actually near demigods, quasi-deity to be exact. These are immortals who have been already chosen by Odin. They spend their days fighting and practising in preparation for Ragnorok and feast in Valahalla at night. They don't go to the Halls when they fall, they just come back.
Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

FEAR
  • • noun 1 an unpleasant emotion caused by the threat of danger, pain, or harm. 2 the likelihood of something unwelcome happening.

• verb 1 be afraid of. 2 (fear for) be anxious about. 3 archaic regard (God) with reverence and awe.

— ORIGIN Old English, "danger".

No one is implying that a character who runs into a <Insert Appropriately Dangerous Creature> needs to react with emotes such as *Quivers with trepidation* Or *Wails with panic*

Being fearful is not the same as being cowardly.

Brave men, are those who accept and realize their fear. Not deny it. They act courageously because of it.

That does not mean that the fear does not (Or should not) exist.

That is why I mention the fact of definition.

There are very specific beings I can think of, regardless of who you are. Should put someone into a state of being fearful.

I define fearful here, as "Recognizing. (Respecting) the danger in front of them.)

It may not be a physical danger, it may not even be spiritual.

There are a couple of times during events that a character of mine, had a distinct mood change, in regards to the consequences. They were not necessarily in danger, far from it. The character just personally knew, that the event foretold specific events that this person did not want to deal with.

I think most characters inherently understand this concept. But do not apply the word "Fear" to it, because of unworthy negative connotations most people attribute to the word.

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=User:Xanthalas][size=75]WIKI INFO[/size][/url]
Rudiki
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Rudiki »

A big part of courage, to me, is acting properly in despite of the fear that one feels.
13thHour : [Tell] *your alignment has long since passed any possible further move to 'sexy' due to reinventing the scale*

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Lexy]Lexy on the Wiki![/url]
Akai
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Akai »

Egil's in the same boat as Seamus. He grew up knowing of Valhalla, and figures this must be Gladsheim. Not Valhalla itself, evidently, but that must be because he's just an ordinary warrior, not a hero of saga. Still, he must be here to perfect his skills and courage to fight on Odin's side at Ragnarok. Dying and returning is part of that, and while avoiding death through skill or wisdom is a success, avoiding death through lack of courage is a grievous failure.

(Granted that this may not exactly mesh with actual IG cosmology, but I think it helps the atmosphere of Ysgard to have a core of PC's with Norse world-views.)
silverdragonams
Head DM

Xan has got it exactly right. When I say fear, and particularly fear of death, I'm not speaking of the "cower in your boots paralyzed or run screaming and to be avoided if at all possible" type of fear. I'm saying its something that shouldn't just be shrugged off as "oh well, I'll try again tomorrow".

A large part of Norse culture was not just bravery but the concept of (self) sacrifice. If you're not afraid, you're not facing your fears. If you don't feel you stand to loose anything then you're not being brave. Its not heroic, its just another day at the office.

When Ysgardian warrior is thinking to himself "Even though I might die, even though its going to hurt, even though there is a chance I might be lost forever, I'm going to save that child regardless of what happens to me!" that's heroic.

When a Ysgardian warrior thinks "What the hell, I'll be back tomorrow so I'm going to save the child." that's not bravery and you can bet the gods will be unimpressed with such presumptuousness.

Anyway this has gotten a bit off topic. This wasn't about individual PCs. My intent was to address the question "What do Ysgardians fear in general?" and the general assumption by many that they don't fear death. And the answer is yes, they do, but they face it with courage.
ambrosia

Post by ambrosia »

Totally Agree, CD. Great way to clarify. 8)

I guarantee Nerice has a very healthy fear of various things due to our awesome DM's.

To agree with Xai, Rudki, and Akai: For Nerice to be brave enough to face those fears are some of the best "key moments" of character development for roleplay, for me.
sinn
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by sinn »

Ash fears running out of brandy.....
[i]"Zee cabbage does not run away from zee corn-beef."[/i]
Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

Xai is afraid of horsies!