Items for loot drops

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

Tremayne7
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by Tremayne7 »

I know we are looking are re doing the crafting system. However.... the bolt of cloth idea has merit in that like Jay said it would require DM conversion to a blank outfit (say like the Mirtho Bard's outfit). It'd be nice to have some clothes that gave a bonus to a skill or something.
Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning

"If life is a hankerchief, love is the embrodery that makes it more beautiful." - Alexis Dufresne Montjoie

"A Tyrite, a thief, a ranger and a preppy elf were sitting in a bar with a druidess..." -Aranel
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

Yes, I am quite keen on the idea of loot drops being able to be used as 'upgrades' and enhancements to stuff. i think the aim is to have quite a variety of items for the drops so I will make some art objects and a various bits and bobs.

As new systems come into play some of them may be usable in other ways. Could be fun!
Grovel puts the P in swimming pool.
Small in stature, large in power, narrow of focus and wide of vision
My play/DM times: [url]http://www.ysgard.org/viewtopic.php?highlight=play&t=7671[/url]
poizyn69
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by poizyn69 »

sounds like alot of fun and I know Shani would just love it. It would be like Christmas all the time for her.
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

OK!

I am working on some different single use, charged and book items. If you have any item ideas but don’t use the toolset PM me with:

Item Name
Item descriptive text (both unidentified and identified if you like)
What the item should do (cast a spell, increase a stat etc, if anything)

That way I can get them created in a nice consistent way and set them up properly for any prospective collectors.
My play/DM times: [url]http://www.ysgard.org/viewtopic.php?highlight=play&t=7671[/url]
sinn
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by sinn »

just a thought on your new loot :

+3 handaxes SWEET!

but they weight 1 lb each so a stack 99 of them weights 99 lbs. not sure if people will bother carrying that much weight around. If not then your +3 handaxes are basicly going to be sold to merchants and NOT used.

when you can carry 2000 arrows and they weight nothing.. there really is not much incentive to use axes that weigh so much.

just my thoughts :)
[i]"Zee cabbage does not run away from zee corn-beef."[/i]
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

All the items that are in there right now are 'stock', except for my potions. When/if the custom ones I made start turning up, you will notice....

Brynja found 38 of them and had to sell them as she has to watch every pound. Morgan however carries several hundred hand axes so I’m well pleased to find them in drops now.

Strong characters will enjoy the strength damage bonus for thrown weapons so I think the variety is good. Week characters will just have to lament their frail bodies :P

I’m inspired to make a ‘solid gold statue’ that weighs oh… lets say 1500 pounds and is worth a heap. Then Morgan can carry a few around to show off :D
Verandis

Post by Verandis »

sinn wrote:but they weight 1 lb each so a stack 99 of them weights 99 lbs. not sure if people will bother carrying that much weight around. If not then your +3 handaxes are basicly going to be sold to merchants and NOT used.
I always stick throwing items in magic bags to reduce the weight and that works just fine.

Throwing items, I believe (?) also can be enchanted with things like greater magic weapon or flame weapon. I haven't tried this to test it, as my character who uses them isn't a spellcaster, but it's strong incentive to use the throwing items over bows.
Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

Verandis wrote:
sinn wrote:but they weight 1 lb each so a stack 99 of them weights 99 lbs. not sure if people will bother carrying that much weight around. If not then your +3 handaxes are basicly going to be sold to merchants and NOT used.
I always stick throwing items in magic bags to reduce the weight and that works just fine.

Throwing items, I believe (?) also can be enchanted with things like greater magic weapon or flame weapon. I haven't tried this to test it, as my character who uses them isn't a spellcaster, but it's strong incentive to use the throwing items over bows.
Confirmed.

I have a char that does this frequently actually. The only downside is that the enchantment is limited to the stack itself, so after you switch stacks, you have to recast, assuming you have that many spells for such.
[i]I live yet do not live in me,
am waiting as my life goes by,
and die because I do not die.
- St John of the Cross.[/i]

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=User:Xanthalas][size=75]WIKI INFO[/size][/url]
JD Smith

Post by JD Smith »

Ro started carrying and using the darts; as she found them fun. One problem though with them that reduces their 'fun level' is that they don't auto equip when a stack runs out. If not closely watched - Ro throws her last dart and then rushes in to punch punch punch (sounds a lot like a Brute; doesn't it?).
A.N. Imus: Simon Colin Bernard
Victoria DeVitale: thankya
Victoria DeVitale: I need something shorter
Victoria DeVitale: Sim?
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

Time for another round of item building and SD is keen for some charged items. After a few conversations I will be making something that casts light (happy Xan) and a few magical umbrellas….

Any one have any favourite suggestions for things that their characters would like and use? I certainly have ideas but I would love to make some items that people are actually hanging out for.

I’m glad people are enjoying finding the various items I have made, as well as the other exciting additions to the treasure drops. It is certainly an incentive for me to keep creating.

Oh, and fear the goat of terror.
Akai
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Akai »

Musical instruments! (says the bard) ...with weight reduction! I have harped before (pun intended) on the set of pipes that weighs as much as a decent sized phone book... :shock:
Verandis

Post by Verandis »

My character likes 1 use tokens and things of invisibility. This is to drop on other people, rather then to use on oneself, thus why the potion doesn't work.
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

Hmm, already a fair few items with invisibility casts on them, but i may sneak invisibility on other items as an additional spell. Now musical instruments could be fun, the fasion accessory ones. series of them that cast sound related spells could be a winer and would also give a moments excitement to finding the non magical ones as you wouldnt know untill you mouse over them :P
Rali'vinee
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by Rali'vinee »

Z, I love your ideas! :)

I'm hopeful that you'll look at weight for the stuff - not only are instruments too heavy, but umbrellas are too... four pounds for an umbrella is really annoying.

Thanks for all your great work!

Zombie wrote:Time for another round of item building and SD is keen for some charged items. After a few conversations I will be making something that casts light (happy Xan) and a few magical umbrellas….

Any one have any favourite suggestions for things that their characters would like and use? I certainly have ideas but I would love to make some items that people are actually hanging out for.

I’m glad people are enjoying finding the various items I have made, as well as the other exciting additions to the treasure drops. It is certainly an incentive for me to keep creating.

Oh, and fear the goat of terror.
[i][b]Arkon: "[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=Rali%27vinee_Ish%27tarestacia][color=#00BF00]Rali'vinee[/color][/url] is at the same time, the most lovable character I've ever come across, and the singularly most infuriating."[/b][/i]
Rudiki
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Rudiki »

And fans! Fans weigh a ton! Lexy needs lightweight fashion accessories! :)
13thHour : [Tell] *your alignment has long since passed any possible further move to 'sexy' due to reinventing the scale*

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Lexy]Lexy on the Wiki![/url]
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

Some very good ideas there guys. I will make a line of enchanted instruments, books and fashion accessories that work like wands and have a lower weight than the standard stuff, which will make them extra desirable. Those nice ones that characters can hold (and be harassed by Nagritch guards for), rather than the ones that just hide in inventory.

This is something I am thinking of for an item that casts light several times.
Sun Disk
This small golden disk is decorated with a motif of the demon wolf Fenris chasseing the sun. As the magic of the disk is drawn on, Fenris gets closer and closer to the sun. It is likely safe to assume that something bad happens to the disk once Fernis finally catches and eats the sun.
Keep the ideas coming, they really do help.
JD Smith

Post by JD Smith »

Hey .. seems that there is this Zerub fellow that wants items to cast endurance 1 or more times per day ...
A.N. Imus: Simon Colin Bernard
Victoria DeVitale: thankya
Victoria DeVitale: I need something shorter
Victoria DeVitale: Sim?
Zerub
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by Zerub »

JD Smith wrote:Hey .. seems that there is this Zerub fellow that wants items to cast endurance 1 or more times per day ...
Yes, but he is asking IG. Items that are 1/day are very handy and useful. Depending on what they are, I would think they would be a bit too good for the drop table unless there is a very, very small chance of them being found.

You need to watch out for craftable drops also. Not sure exactly how Hala's crafting is, but if you want to get to a player run economy, it makes it tough on the crafters when everyone can find potions and such that are craftable and are trying to be sold by PCs.

Perishables that are non-craftable always make good drops in my opinion. Things that have charges that could be marked not to be recharged would be good also.

Things that cast a higher level spell only once are nice also. Especially if they are something light which take up 1 square. I hate to find something that casts a decent spell, yet ways 50-100 pounds or takes up 4-8 slots of space. For example, a gem that would cast Magical Vestment at maximum level would be good. Or even something that casts Living Undeath at a low level. Good spells, but once they are used then the items disappear.

Just some suggestions.

Scott
silverdragonams
Head DM

Post by silverdragonams »

Use per day items are reserved for DM and quest rewards. In fact, what Zerub is looking for is already available.
Zerub

Post by Zerub »

silverdragonams wrote:Use per day items are reserved for DM and quest rewards. In fact, what Zerub is looking for is already available.
Yep and if he had known at the time what the OOC description was, then he would have picked what he needed, but he didn't, so he has been looking for something like it ever since. ;)

I defnitely agree with your alls stance on use/day items. Very smart idea.
Akai
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Akai »

I definitely agree with Scott about drops not duplicating craftable items. At least not non-consumable drops; there could well be enough desire for potions, arrows, healing kits to keep crafters busy and still be a welcome find, but there is such a small demand for non-consumable gear that one ring, amulet, armor, weapon or cloak found means a significantly smaller market for the same item crafted.
Zerub

Post by Zerub »

At least not non-consumable drops; there could well be enough desire for potions, arrows, healing kits to keep crafters busy
I guess I should add something here. In my opinion, some low level potions are fine. Stick in higher level ones though that have hard ingredients to get and it is a bit more troublesome. For example if you have a 15th level alchemist making some super potions, but a PC can go out and get 20-50 of these somewhere as drops, it kind of kills the market for them.

And I hope I am not derailing this thread. I just want to put some things for the team to think about here.

Scott
silverdragonams
Head DM

Post by silverdragonams »

For the most part both consumables and non-consumables that commonly drop are the same items that can be found on most NPC merchants. Sooner or later NPC merchants are going to change how they do business, which should open up a market for both PC crafters and explorers.

Super potions will drop on very rare occasions. Higher level non-consumables that drop will not be the same as higher level craftables.
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

I am going to have a look through the available pictures and see if any spark my imagination. I think the ‘item to find’ from my last lot was the Goat of Terror (I already found one :P). This time round im picking the Limbo Insanity Tongue will be on peoples scavenging list. So simple and elegant. I am very proud of it.

I haven’t been finding items for Search, plenty for Spot though, so I will think of some and see if they make the cut.
I will also make some ‘quality’ instruments and fashion accessories that are lighter than normal, as well as some magic ones to mix it up a bit. If I can come up with a good variety of items at different power levels then the chances of finding any one particular thing go down and it is generally more exciting all round.
Most of what I’m looking to do this time round will be charged items that cast some handy/fun spells. The tricky part there will be balancing them against wands and UMD. So I don’t intend to make anything TOO spectacular…

The big challenge is the creative part of thinking of a good and engaging description for the item. If anyone has any good ideas do PM them to me, even something as simple as this:
Gentleman’s Umbrella
Most umbrellas are designed to keep the rain off. This one however has been reinforced for combat and is quite handy for seeing off rapscallions and blagards. On top of that the umbrella still manages to have a certain distinguished flair about it.
I am quite happy to do the work of getting it made up into an item and sent off to SD for consideration for the mod. I can tell you from recent experience that the satisfaction of finding something you made IG is well, satisfying :P
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

Finished! 59 new items. Now we wait....

Some of them are um.... they may not make the cut :twisted: