Rewards for my plots

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

Zombie
Veteran DM

Rewards for my plots

Post by Zombie »

I am going to be trying something a bit different for rewards for the plots I am currently running. Instead of an item as a reward, you will get a token that describes your level of participation in the plot. These tokens will be given out at the END of the plot, regardless of when you took part in it. You can then either turn the tokens in with me to get a reward, or save them up and turn them in later for something better.

In general you won’t get rewards that are more powerful, but you will get rewards that are more personalised and more suited to your character.

While I’m not 100% on this yet, these are my ideas for the tokens:
A Part to Play
These are the tokens for characters that had a small part in the plot, attending only one or two events etc. These tokens can be exchanged for minor things such as renaming an existing item no greater than +2 or upgrading an existing item to +2. Several of these could be saved up for something better.
A Job Well Done
These tokens are for characters who I think contributed to the plot, attended a majority of the events, advancing the story etc. They can be exchanged for things like a +2 standard item, custom description of an item, upgrade a +1 item with a non standard bonus (+1 stat ring getting +1 in another stat), personal description and name on an existing item, upgrade a +2 standard item to +3 (if high enough lv). Several of these could be saved up to get a specially crafted item in another plot.
Special Things
Characters who did something special (or saved tokens) would receive a personally crafted item, or a special token.
You won’t be able to use these tokens to modify another DMs rewards unless I have their permission to do so.

What I like about this
* Players who can only take part in things from time to time can still earn nice rewards for their characters.
* Players get something tangible for their characters that they can lovingly caress until such a time as they decide to trade it in.
* Players have a chance to work with me to get something they particularly want.
* Players who earn it can have some input into designing a custom item.
* It rewards players who spend more time on HALA as they can take the time to wait for renamed/custom/upgraded items while casual visitors cant.

I think the biggest winners from this idea will be players who are only able to take part in events sporadically. These players will be able to save up tokens from their various events and then turn them in to get something more in line with what players who can make lots of events in a plot are able to get.

So, at the end of my plots I will post a list of characters who have recorded as having earned a token (I will do my best to get the list right) and then I will hunt you all down.

Keep in mind that this idea is very much a work in progress, so there will be a few teething issues and I will be erring on the side of stingy just a little and working with the rest of the team to make sure my rewards are balanced and fair. Im happy to answer any questions that you have, especially when its time to hand out the first lot of tokens.

After a few plots and some feedback I will hopefully be able to tell it its worth continuing the idea and making it more formalised. It will mean more work for me, and more waiting for players, but I think it will be worth the extra effort.

Feedback from the team so far has been positive and I can’t wait to see how it goes in game.
Grovel puts the P in swimming pool.
Small in stature, large in power, narrow of focus and wide of vision
My play/DM times: [url]http://www.ysgard.org/viewtopic.php?highlight=play&t=7671[/url]
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

I am wondering about the timing of giving out the tokens. For the basic tokens for plot involvement should I give them out as soon as they are earned, or wait until the end of the plot? I can see value in both. I am wondering about this because there are some players who I have trouble catching up with and it would be a shame to have to chase them to give them a token, but then again they need to work with me to turn it in any way.

Would you prefer to be able to turn in a token quickly, or wait until the end of a plot? I can see that being a problem if I need to ‘upgrade’ the token later and it has already been used.

For the special tokens and rewards I will give those out when I think they are appropriate story wise.
My play/DM times: [url]http://www.ysgard.org/viewtopic.php?highlight=play&t=7671[/url]
Arkon
World Leader

Post by Arkon »

i like the idea. i'd do it as they are earned.. otherwise you run into the problem of trying to remember everyone who had a part in the plots... i'd give them out at the end of event nights or something.

I would do it as one token though... each person who takes part in the plot gets a "DM Plot Token" that is plot, no drop. For the description I'd have it state how many of each token they've earned... that way they aren't getting swamped with tokens that don't do anything but instaed have one central token that gtes updated with the item description changer each time they are in an event.
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

Hmmm, thats an interesting idea! I have found the renamer a bit limited though, but I like that and will give it a try.
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

OK!
I am going to award a single token and update the description as more are earned/spent. I owe tokens to the following characters:

Alexis, Aranel, Arcanen Silverthorn
Dan’eth, Egil, Elyl
Gildan, Jay, Legs
Nerice, Rachael, Rowena
Rykolyn, Scelusio, Seamus
Shani, Soleis, Star
Theru, Xai, Yana

I will award the tokens as I notice characters online. If you see me in game or on IRC give me a nudge and I will jump on as a DM if I can. Also, let me know if you think I have forgotten you!
Rudiki
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Rudiki »

*counts 21 characters, more than half of them still quite active, and cheers!*
13thHour : [Tell] *your alignment has long since passed any possible further move to 'sexy' due to reinventing the scale*

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Lexy]Lexy on the Wiki![/url]
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

Caught Alexis and Scel. Also remembered and rewarded Ser. Still looking for:

Aranel, Arcanen Silverthorn
Dan’eth, Egil, Elyl
Gildan, Jay, Legs
Nerice, Rachael, Rowena
Rykolyn, Seamus
Shani, Soleis, Star
Theru, Xai, Yana

The numbers on the token mean minor/major. I will post later what these can be swapped for.
Starslayer_D
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Starslayer_D »

Sticky this?
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

Caught some more people. Still looking for:
Aranel
Dan’eth, Elyl
Legs
Nerice
Rykolyn
Shani, Star
Theru, Xai

Do Elyl and Theru still play? I haven’t seen or heard of either of them in a long time.
Verandis
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by Verandis »

Theru's player still plays on copap. I'll poke them next time I see them.
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

Just sorting myself out to do rewards for the Fey Queen's Ring and will catch you when I see you. I will also be replaceing tokens with a weightless token.

This is my list for the ring (either talking with the queen, research, or going to frostheim to get the ring). If you think you were involved in the plot, let me know!
  • Alexis
    Dan’eth
    Egil
    Jay
    Legs
    Nerice
    Rowena (already rewarded)
    Rykolyn
    Scelusio (already rewarded)
    Seamus
    Shani
    Soleis
    Star
    Xai