The stripes in the ceiling/sky/across the tile

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

Rali'vinee
Squire: Church of Pants

The stripes in the ceiling/sky/across the tile

Post by Rali'vinee »

Hi guys...

I remember there being a post about this but can't find it...

IS there an answer to getting rid of the gigantic stripes that cross my monitor in the Great Divide?

Sorry this is so dark... but you can see three sets of them I think if you squint, as an example.

Thanks!

[i][b]Arkon: "[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=Rali%27vinee_Ish%27tarestacia][color=#00BF00]Rali'vinee[/color][/url] is at the same time, the most lovable character I've ever come across, and the singularly most infuriating."[/b][/i]
p0m
Major DM

Post by p0m »

You need to update your video drivers, this is apparently a pretty common issue in NWN with modern ATI video cards.
[i]Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers.[/i]
Nastr0nd
Major DM

Post by Nastr0nd »

I get them too. No amount of updating the drivers has fixed it for my nvidia geforce 9400. :(
luminance
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by luminance »

It LOOKS like a skinning error on the table things used on the stairs, but I know it's not.

I have this error and I'm on a new Nvidia card.

((EDIT: POW ZAP SCREENCAPS! I tend to take pictures when they are doing something particularly hilarious.))

one, two, three, four, five, six, and seven!
silverdragonams
Head DM

Post by silverdragonams »

It is a driver issue. Sometimes rolling back drivers helps, but that often causes other problems.
Moonyju
Minor DM

Post by Moonyju »

Ye, I have that problem too with my Nvidia card. Mind you, mine is an old one and they no longer release drivers for that one! :lol:

I don't remember noticing it on Hala/Ysgard, but I do notice it in the AKN Hall on Ferrell (Avlis) 99% of the time Jalya goes to her office there...

EDIT: I like the #7, lumi!
Themicles
Game Server Admin and Web Monkey

Post by Themicles »

Technically, it's a model issue. It's just that some video cards are more 'tolerant' of the issue than others.

What's happening is that some of the vertices in the model have bad positions. Why they go so wildly off into the distance on some cards and not others, I'm not sure. But it's definitely in the creation of the specific model, and not just any model at random.

Sometimes updating (or if you're at the latest, rolling back) drivers will fix it. Sometimes no driver update in the history or future of your card will fix it. The best place to fix it is in the model, but not knowing specifically why some vertex positions are bad and some aren't makes that difficult. It also requires a person who can do NWN modeling, and a hak update.
World Leader: Tairis'nàdur
Administrator: Confederation of Planes and Planets
Server Host & Web Monkey: Hala The Heroic Domain of Ysgard
p0m
Major DM

Post by p0m »

If we can compile a list of the placeables that cause it, and are able to track down the right converter to pop it into a modelling format that we can work with this should be pretty trivial to fix.

The biggest problem I've had so far is finding the converter.

On the other hand, given NWN's relative age this might be a bit of a waste.
[i]Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers.[/i]
luminance
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by luminance »

Moonyju wrote:PIX PLS

EDIT: I like the #7, lumi!
1. HOLY CRAP that is amazing. That would be so annoying to RP with!

2. They had weirdly latched onto her head in that one and followed her around as I moved as though Andy had a black hole in her neck. Pretty cool.