NWN Problems

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

albonia
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

NWN Problems

Post by albonia »

I installed a new 9800 GT graphics card a week ago. The card runs fine and runs other games with no problem. But it does not seem to like NWN if i try playing NWN it runs for about 10 -15 minutes then locks up completely. Nothing seems to work and the only option is to press the reset button on my PC

I am running Windows XP service pack 3

So far i have tried the following. I updated the drivers and downloaded GPU-Z. The card temperature is 47C when under no stress. It will go up when i play a game but i don't think 47C is very high.

Still locking up after 10 minutes or so. I am out of ideas and the stupid Bioware forum tells me i need to be a game owner to post on their forum. Yet when i go into my account there it lists the serial numbers of the NWN discs i own.

Go figure

I suppose its down to playing an 8 year old game. No doubt a 9800GT GPU was not even a twinkle in Nvidea's eye when NWN came out.
A quote from a mage, without my magic I am just an Elf in a bathrobe.
silverdragonams
Head DM

Post by silverdragonams »

I guess to start with the simplest causes, have you turned your graphics way down? Do you have shiny water turned off?

Have you noticed the crashing in any particular area or tileset?
Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

Had a similar problem with an 8500GT, It basically boils down to a backwards compatibility problem. I ended up changing a few options, it's been a couple years, but I think I ended up gaining success with going into the NVIDIA control panel, and making sure the following was done.

Code: Select all

Anisotropic filtering : Application Controlled
Texture Filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization:  OFF
Anti-aliasing - Transparency : OFF
That's pure guess work, so if those do nothing, set them back to their original values. I'll do some digging and see if I can come up with anything specific to your specific model.
Last edited by Xanthalas on Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[i]I live yet do not live in me,
am waiting as my life goes by,
and die because I do not die.
- St John of the Cross.[/i]

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=User:Xanthalas][size=75]WIKI INFO[/size][/url]
Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

Also, I've heard of some success of turning the following option in the NVIDIA control panel.

Code: Select all

Multi-display/mixed-GPU Acceleration:  Multiple Display Performance Mode
[i]I live yet do not live in me,
am waiting as my life goes by,
and die because I do not die.
- St John of the Cross.[/i]

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=User:Xanthalas][size=75]WIKI INFO[/size][/url]
BPanther
Knight of the Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by BPanther »

i hope you are not using asus mainboard, if so you should check bios settings. and read mainboard manual for any pcie or agp boost options and try to disable those.
<@HumbugCause> Lir's in and out more than a red light girl's regular :P
<@CoffeeDragon> Sorry Lir, I traded you to Zombie this morning for 2 cookies and a collectible digipokimonster card.
terror2001
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by terror2001 »

I have an Nvidia 6850 GT and it will not run NWN with the newest drivers. I had to install an older version of the drivers (185.85).
Player of:
Vicky (Vilia the Fairy)
albonia
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by albonia »

I tried the things suggested and at one point i had it running for an hour. Then just when i thought i had sorted it same thing crash computer locks up. Now it runs for about 10 min before the crash.

I have done some digging on the Bioware forum (damm thing wont let me post). And it seems that the problem may surprisingly be the realtek sound drivers not the graphics.

I will try disabling some of the sound settings and updating the sound drivers.
A quote from a mage, without my magic I am just an Elf in a bathrobe.