What Camera Mode do you use?

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

Rudiki
Wearer of the Holy Pants

What Camera Mode do you use?

Post by Rudiki »

I'm wondering what "Camera Mode" people use when they play, and why. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Thanks!
13thHour : [Tell] *your alignment has long since passed any possible further move to 'sexy' due to reinventing the scale*

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Lexy]Lexy on the Wiki![/url]
JD Smith
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by JD Smith »

I use the 'over the shoulder' mode; zoomed out to max znd rotated zbout 45 degrees up. The seems to give me the maximum viewing area available.

Why?

What do YOU use?
A.N. Imus: Simon Colin Bernard
Victoria DeVitale: thankya
Victoria DeVitale: I need something shorter
Victoria DeVitale: Sim?
Themicles
Game Server Admin and Web Monkey

Post by Themicles »

Chase Cam with liberal use of the middle mouse button to swing around visual obstacles. I like my camera low and find the NWN engine surprisingly immersive in well built areas with the tile fade turned off. That said, I don't recommend it if you don't like swinging the camera manually.
World Leader: Tairis'nàdur
Administrator: Confederation of Planes and Planets
Server Host & Web Monkey: Hala The Heroic Domain of Ysgard
Shannen
Major DM

Post by Shannen »

I am set at Top Down with screen edge camera turning and I use a track ball... I constantly (literally, constantly because I look at everything in every angle I can manage) move my camera all over the place and zoom in and out depending on what I'm interested in looking at, and keep my tab key pressed as often as possible.

I am very rarely zoomed out because I like playing up close, sort of over my pc's shoulder unless in combat when I DO zoom out so I can see what's coming. Sometimes... because sometimes zoomed in looking over your char's shoulder with the tab key pressed is best in combat, or turning and looking behind.

I also enable dialogue zoom (whatever that is) and keep my mouse wheel sensitivity and camera turn speed at the lowest setting.

It's all very spazzy and nosy ... I think you'd like it!

:D

I'm curious like JD, though... what do YOU use and why are you asking?
General DM AVAILABILITY - I'm starting to look for trouble... (11/25/18)
sinn
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by sinn »

Themicles wrote:Chase Cam with liberal use of the middle mouse button to swing around visual obstacles. I like my camera low and find the NWN engine surprisingly immersive in well built areas with the tile fade turned off. That said, I don't recommend it if you don't like swinging the camera manually.
I like this view as well.. but bogs down my computer I play zoomed nearly all the way out and over the shoulder, then zoom in and out and pan as needed
[i]"Zee cabbage does not run away from zee corn-beef."[/i]
Rudiki
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Rudiki »

I use Top Down because when I started it was the easiest for me to function using, but recently I was somewhere that the tops of the trees did not disappear so I had to zoom in and get low to see where I was going, and that made me think of the other options, and I got curious. I thought I'd try the others again, and just wondered what other peoples' experience had been.

(Akai uses Top Down because the other options cause nausea. :) )
13thHour : [Tell] *your alignment has long since passed any possible further move to 'sexy' due to reinventing the scale*

Rudiki
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Rudiki »

And okay, now having messed with them both, what's the difference between the Driving and the Chase cams?

Themicles
Game Server Admin and Web Monkey

Post by Themicles »

Rudiki wrote:And okay, now having messed with them both, what's the difference between the Driving and the Chase cams?
Driving is a rigid camera that is always directly behind the head. Chase Cam kinda floats a bit side to side. Instead of turning as soon as the character does, it has a threshold before beginning to turn with the character.
World Leader: Tairis'nàdur
Administrator: Confederation of Planes and Planets
Server Host & Web Monkey: Hala The Heroic Domain of Ysgard
Verandis
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by Verandis »

I stick with top down, and generally use a lower camera when I'm out socializing or interacting with a single individual, but zoom out and up a bit when I'm fighting, because I find it difficult to use some area spells when I'm looking over the character's shoulder.
Moonyju
Minor DM

Post by Moonyju »

Verandis wrote:I stick with top down, and generally use a lower camera when I'm out socializing or interacting with a single individual, but zoom out and up a bit when I'm fighting, because I find it difficult to use some area spells when I'm looking over the character's shoulder.
Same here! I also use a lower camera to take in the view of some areas, like from the top of a mountain or a roof or something. Gives a bit of the point of view of the character. =)