Areas causing game to close

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

Shannen
Major DM

Areas causing game to close

Post by Shannen »

Hi guys... hoping you can help. I don't have my game disks with me so I am trying everything except uninstalling/reinstalling at this time.

I cannot enter at least three different areas in game, in the dm client or in the Toolset on either normal or custom race pc’s. This happens on Ysgard (Uth Niord) built in the tileset called "Rural Winter", and on Arkaz (Avarine Southwest Cliffs Tent and First Bank of Nuvar) both built in the tileset called "Ruins" with the same group tile which is the smaller round tent-like group. Other areas built in Ruins do NOT crash me out (like Plateau Heart Tent, which is a different tent/group tile).

Graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT, Driver date 7/9/2010

I've tried deleting and redownloading haks, emptying my override folder, trying different resolutions and graphics settings/video options, updating my driver, rolling back my driver to the last version which was 9/17/2007, reupdating it again to 7/9/2010, restarting, and powering down and up.

I’ve always had strange graphics playing nwn on this laptop… like see-through clothing/pc bodies unless my camera’s up closer to pc’s, and choppy movements. Never crashed like this, though.

In game upon trying to enter these areas, the game closes and I get:

"Neverwinter Nights has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

In the toolset upon trying to open these areas I get the error:

"Access violation at address 007CD421 in module 'nwtoolset.exe'. Read of address 00000598."
trying to open Uth Niord.

"Access violation at address 007CD421 in module 'nwtoolset.exe'. Read of address 00000498." trying to open Avarine Southwest Cliffs Tent and First Bank of Nuvar.

When I click on "Ok" at those messages, my toolset freezes and I can only close it through Task Manager, which always says the program is Running.

As for the Ruins tile that DOESN'T crash me out in game, I do get error messages for it when I open it in the tileset:

"Access violation at address 007CD421 in module 'nwtoolset.exe'. Read of address 00000488." opening Avarine Plateau Heart Tent. This does not crash the toolset, but when I try to place an object I get: "Access violation at address 0042E00E in module 'nwtoolset.exe'. Read of address 00000038."

Thank you for reading...
General DM AVAILABILITY - I'm starting to look for trouble... (11/25/18)
silverdragonams
Head DM

Post by silverdragonams »

The access violation error in the toolset sounds suspiciously like corrupt game files. If not haks, then in the game itself. If no one else has a better idea, get me on MIRC. Maybe I can get you the files.
albonia
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by albonia »

If all else fails consider a reinstall. Just make sure you have all you CD keys ready and it should not be too painful.

I would say also have all your downloaded haks ready so you don't need to re-download them but its possible one of them is causing the problems so you would just be recreating it.
A quote from a mage, without my magic I am just an Elf in a bathrobe.
Rudiki
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Rudiki »

No useful advice but all KINDS of sympathy! :?
13thHour : [Tell] *your alignment has long since passed any possible further move to 'sexy' due to reinventing the scale*

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Lexy]Lexy on the Wiki![/url]
Soul Hunter
Major DM

Post by Soul Hunter »

Try adjusting audio settings
Go to advanced options and set to "miles Fast 2D Positional Audio" and turn down volume on every things.

I have had to adjust audio settings on my computer else nwn would crash every 15 minutes. It is possible its a sound in those areas that are causeing issues (though less likely as audio problems seem to be more random from my experince)
Shannen
Major DM

Post by Shannen »

Tried it all; no luck.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Guess I'll have to do a reinstall when I get home in November.
p0m
Major DM

Post by p0m »

This sound like a very obscure question, but have you tried disabling your Anti-virus active scanning when playing NWN?

It might be that when loading that content into NWN, your AV is being a tard and causing NWN to hang.
[i]Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers.[/i]
Shannen
Major DM

Post by Shannen »

Had to uninstall and then reinstall the game, but I'm fixed!
Thanks for the attempted help, all.
Nastr0nd
Major DM

Post by Nastr0nd »

Yay that you're fixed and Welcome Back.