Help with Mozilla Firefox?

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

Akai
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Help with Mozilla Firefox?

Post by Akai »

So, I was browsing for cell phone information online* and Mozilla Firefox suddenly shrank to this tiny window that said something (in bad grammar) to the effect of, AV8 has detected something and will do something, and my computer froze. So I shut down and restarted, but AIM is set to auto-start when my computer does, and that starts Mozilla, and I got the same tiny window and freezing up. So I tried again, shutting down AIM when it appeared, but again tiny window and freezing. This time I got into my computer by Ctrl-Alt-Del'ing AIM as soon as it appeared, which seems to have bypassed Mozilla, but my computer is running very slowly.

Happily, I still have Internet Explorer, because the Hala website would not work for me with Firefox. I ran Disk Cleanup, and now I'm running an Avira virus scan. I figure Firefox keeps trying to go to the same site that causes the problem, and I'd like to reset it so that it doesn't do that, but I don't know how. Any suggestions?

*oh and about cell phones; been getting a lot of sales calls/unwanted calls, and I'm trying to figure out how to block them and yet let emergency calls through; suggestions there too would be welcomed!

p.s. Hm, computer just beeped, which probably means Avira found something; hope it knows what to do about it without my help, for I am clueless!
Moonyju
Minor DM

Post by Moonyju »

Yikes. Can't help with Firefox, I use Google Chrome. Simpler, faster and more user-friendly, IMHO. I use Firefox for banking stuff, mostly.

As for cell phones, I know that up here, cell phone numbers were accepted as being public, so telemarketers and such can call you on your cellphone. But the CRTC (Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission) has this "no-call" list where you can enter your phone number as one telemarketers and such CAN'T use. Maybe you guys have something similar down there where you could add your cell phone number?
AmusedApathy
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by AmusedApathy »

Hey Akai!

I hope that you're Avira found something. Sounds like you got yourself a browser hijacker...

You can manually set your start page, by looking in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox find a file called browserconfig.properties (open this with note pad or some other little txt writer) and just change the start page back to whatever you want it to be, then just re-save it (you might have to show hidden files to see this file).

You might also want to check out Spybot Search and Destroy. It's a little freeware spy ware program, and is excellent at finding and repairing browser hijacks....

hope that helps!
AA
Akai
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Akai »

Looks like there's an option to start Firefox in "Safe Mode" and seems that that got it working again. Computer still quite slow, so running Avira again (accidently pulled the plug before it finished last time :( )
ambrosia
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by ambrosia »

Yes, run the anti-spyware/anti-virus stuff.

As for calls: https://www.donotcall.gov/