Psionic power- Telepathy

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

T'Holoth Shadowborn
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Psionic power- Telepathy

Post by T'Holoth Shadowborn »

Can a psion with the power of telepathy use it to "send a telepathic message" to another player?
Perhaps with a rule such as it can only be done within 100 feet or it can only be done line of sight. Under no circumstance can a player "read someones mind"

Perhaps even the other person cannot "reply" back unless they have the telepathy power (and it's activated). Like a one way message
[One way telepathic message from XXX]"Watch out, this guy is a thief i've seen him before"
[i]Blessed is the mind too small for doubt[/i]
Though I walk through the vally in the shadows of daemons, I shall fear nothing. For I am what the daemon fears.
Arkon
World Leader

Post by Arkon »

If I remember correctly, this topic came up in CoPaP and was received negatively.. Personally, I would recommend against using projection of thoughts or anything of that nature for 3 reasons.

#1. Game Mechanics. Every Psion ability comes with a costs. In our case it's PSP. However this would not have a cost, even though it should. So in that aspect I think no, it should not be allowed.

#2. There are many things in the game that would "block" a psions attempt to communicate through someone's mind. Immunity to Mind being one of the biggest ones, but there are others as well. Now, unless you are able to physically look at that player and see that they do or do not have Imm Mind on them, you could be sending a "message" to someone who does, and they should not be able to receive it, however, due to game Mechanics, they can.

#3. I know if my character all of the sudden started hearing voices in her head that did not belong to her or her Goddess... she would not be pleased and/or would think she had gone insane...

So while not an official team stance at this time, I would have to say in my opinion this should not be allowed.
Respect is Earned! Fear is Demanded!
Gairus
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Gairus »

Except with a DM present, right? That sort of out-of-engine thing still seems to me like the DMs domain :)
The joy of IRC.
<Tholotron_praying> I came back from fighting rightious warfare to see Aiq using TK to play with Doss's balls? :/
Aiquandol
Team Member

Post by Aiquandol »

Except with a DM present, right? That sort of out-of-engine thing still seems to me like the DMs domain
Yes. Untill we can actually script a telepathy spell then all telepathy will need to be DM regulated.
T'Holoth Shadowborn
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by T'Holoth Shadowborn »

if i use telepathy in a mirrow can i hear myself think?

Really though, thanks for the answer heh
[i]Blessed is the mind too small for doubt[/i]
Though I walk through the vally in the shadows of daemons, I shall fear nothing. For I am what the daemon fears.