Playing is a bugger

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

Kogun
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Playing is a bugger

Post by Kogun »

Don't worry, I'm not ranting at the Hala crew ;)

Basically, when i went home, my pc in aberdeen which gets onto the net via a network in the private halls of residence im in was ok. I could play nwn, hl2 and everything no problems.

When I got back, I knew something was amiss for two reasons. A) my brother who live in a HOR just across the street and on a similar set up (EXACTLY THE SAME provided by the same company for it's halls) couldn't update steam to play which he'd just bought aaaaand, neither would mine.

So I checked every other game i had, which was two really. The one's using gamespy seem to be unaffected - much. Dawn of war, while i never got round to actually going into a game, seemed alright in the boards area pre game. But there is one worrying thing. In connecting to Hala, avlis etc.. I noticed it would take about 10 seconds real time before it reported anything was loading after accpeting the character to play. In addition, even with one player on the server, I would lag, almost as if on 56k and sometimes it's been unplayable. It makes me less willing to play at the moment and apparently they're fixing the issue.

BT (british telecom) decided that those doing peer to peer sharing were sucking up bandwidth and decided to clamp down (by taking a sledge hammer to crack a nut), and the result is they pretty much shut every port down. Some websites are even denied to me now. But the result has been that either things don't work, or they work a lot slower than usual.

I know I'm not considered a 'regular' player of hala, but i apologise to those who may be expecting me to show up because this whole situation just irks me when i play. I mean, if I pay 200 pounds for a year's access of 'unlimited' access, why should it be subsequently limited in what appeared to me (as i never lagged before) to be minimal problems with it previously.

Just a rant i know, but i guess im justifying myself
Life is like an incense stick. It stinks and then it's gone..