Who's Afraid?

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

silverdragonams
Head DM

Who's Afraid?

Post by silverdragonams »

Partly out of curiosity and partly out of research for a plot I am working on, here is a question for everyone. What is your character(s) afraid of most?

I am looking for actual, physical, fears such as a fear of water, or a fear of spiders. "I'm afraid of watching all my friends die" might be true for your character, but not the type of fear I am looking for. "I play a pally who is immune to fear!" is not acceptable either, it just means he can overcome fear. If he couldn't, what would he run screaming from like a little girl?

If you don't want your character's secrets spilled in OOC public, feel free to pm me.

Since it's not fair to ask this and not answer myself, I'll start it off. Sara is, as her journal suggests, afraid of the dark. Not blindness, not gloom (half-elven vision and all) but complete and utter darkness.
Characters:
[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=Sarakin_Fyne]Sarakin Fyne[/url]

www.anotherworlddesign.etsy.com
Akai
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Akai »

Soleis is easy; he's afraid of most everything ;) Once something has hurt him, he tends to be afraid of it thereafter. (Happily for living on Hala, he's not afraid of heights. He's not afraid of darkness or blindness either; he doesn't like not being able to see, but he's used to it.) Perhaps his greatest fears currently are of drowning and of undead (which makes getting to Arkaz hard, let me tell you!) Oh, and the Vorpal Chicken of Infinite Poo! :shock:

All my other characters are hard; Egil's fears aren't of physical things, and El and Svin are petioners who haven't come across anything that evokes any particular memory of fear yet.
Last edited by Akai on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Post by Psye Shaar »

Caldo - Not a fear as such, but 'the dark' (complete and utter darkness, as you put it) will cause him to act somewhat uncharacteristically - anger, hatred, considerably less required for him to become violent.

Istrin - Losing control of the forms he takes, or losing the ability to change form at all.

Tris - Nothing physical as such. His bugbear is a fear of failing the Orphanage and loved ones (in his mind it would be failing again so has a strong effect on decisions he makes now)

Nothing springs to mind for the rest.
[i]"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction." [/i]
Blaise Pascal (1623 - 1662)
orvarg
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

gus? i'll give you one guess

Post by orvarg »

.........capture. apprahension...arrest..you get the picture.
he's seen how the forces that represent law and good bend those laws to thier own benefit. yeah he fears capture.
Rudiki
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Rudiki »

Sceluscio is afraid of commitment. :wink:
13thHour : [Tell] *your alignment has long since passed any possible further move to 'sexy' due to reinventing the scale*

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Lexy]Lexy on the Wiki![/url]
3DWarrior
Knight of the Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by 3DWarrior »

Victor is afraid of heights! On reputable structures, he's fine, but if there's a question of structural integrity, he becomes nervous.
Moonyju
Minor DM

Post by Moonyju »

Well Miellyana is easy... she's afraid of drowning. More drowning than water itself (otherwise she would never bathe! ;) ). If she's in control (read voluntarily soaking in) somewhere with no or very little current, she's generally fine. Bridges and other structures surrounded or above water, especially if she can see between the planks, make her nervous. What if it breaks? ;) ... she's getting better now, though!

Otherwise, as a secondary one, like Istrin, now that she's a shifter, losing the ability would be bad. And there's your usual fear of losing those she loves (Zunya, Nim, friends and family (PCs or NPCs)).

Nothing comes to mind for Twigs. =)
JD Smith
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by JD Smith »

As Ro has said before; she hates spiders; and has balked at going hunting them in the past. Probably has someting to do with the reason she's in Hala in the first place.

Simon is afraid of
A.N. Imus: Simon Colin Bernard
Victoria DeVitale: thankya
Victoria DeVitale: I need something shorter
Victoria DeVitale: Sim?
sinn
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by sinn »

hmm lets see physical fears (meaning saying how Ash fears losing Rali is out of it)

Ash- death :) I know its hard to believe but deep down this harpinger is scared of dieing, though he denies it. He was shown by a nice DM what afterlife awaits him on Avlis, this and a certain green lady are the main reasons he moved to Ysgard.

Lor- err nothing, other than maybe not having something to eat so then it would be hunger

Pirian- he fears inclosed areas slightly, and fears drowning, but NOT water, and he does swim VERY well

Randoran (my wemic)- he fears cities and civilization

Mist (my lupin)- hmm, he has nothing he fears irrationally, though he does hate Weres
[i]"Zee cabbage does not run away from zee corn-beef."[/i]
Arkon
World Leader

Post by Arkon »

Aranel is afraid if very tight, cramped, underground places. Aftereffect of being trapped in a cave in and getting stuck in half earth elemental form during a vipact event
Respect is Earned! Fear is Demanded!
Freeze01
Resident DM Griefer

Post by Freeze01 »

Daelvaorn has a bit a of fright of planar travel. Its actually more a fear of not being able to return home though, but he isnt consciously aware of that, and blames it on a wide variety of things about planar travel.
He will not do it on his own, and be hesitant in a group to do it.
davicurtistaggart

who?afraid?

Post by davicurtistaggart »

i have the continuing problem of over-aggressiveness in dangerous situations for most of my characters,perhaps giving the impression of foolhardiness or even suicidal bravery(everybody who has chastised frieda about this,please raise your hand :) ) some thoughts:
frieda might freeze if confronted by the ill-defined psionic-eating beastie which killed her husband,but then again might attack in a blind rage;
ozenda,who still has vague memories of gladiatorial combat,might freak at being considerably out-numbered,might flinch at the possibility of another serious eye injury,but probably would be most disturbed by the threat of imprisonment or enslavement;
marckus noticeably loses it in social situations,especially with attractive and/or assertive women,the more attractive,the more assertive(hi,brynja!)the worse it is,but he is about my only character who hangs back at all in combat.his panther familiar,shakira,on the other hand is absolutely fearless!;
beodreadya hasn't been played enough to encounter much that might frighten her,but she definitely will be highly protective of her beard!
and admit it,rudiki,we all know what lexie fears! :)
Ronan
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by Ronan »

Ronan has an illogical fear of dragons.

My other characters have no specific overwhelming fears. Arcanen is 'cautious' about everything including the way the wind is blowing and the local tavern and all of the creatures and people around him, rather than afraid.
luminance
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by luminance »

Miranda has a strong phobia of fire. She will react over so much as the smell of burning. She also fears rejection by her "family."

Lueali is afraid of drowning but for logical rather than phobic reasons. He also does not do well with vampires or other undead, though that's more a hatred or discomfort rather than fear. He is afraid of being overwhelmed in battle and of losing people he cares for.

Nymdaer is typically enough scared of failure, whether that involves death, or being disciplined, or somethig as extreme as his house falling.

The others are either too dim-witted or stoic for specific fears.
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

Morgan: While not really afraid of and specific object, she has a deep distrust of cows. She is also uncertain about Tiamat.

Malik: As a learned man, Malik fears no earthly terror.

Brynja: Brynja fears TeKali and also the people who conspire against her.

Grovel: Grovel fears Santa-Claws, the vengeful spirit that comes out once a year to kill the unprepared. He has never seen the creature though, because Grovel is always prepared. He is also quite likely to fear anything that is big and is trying to eat him, especialy Driders.

Ounder: Ounder fears nothing.
Grovel puts the P in swimming pool.
Small in stature, large in power, narrow of focus and wide of vision
My play/DM times: [url]http://www.ysgard.org/viewtopic.php?highlight=play&t=7671[/url]
Rali'vinee
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by Rali'vinee »

Rali'vinee fears lizards; most "monsters" taller than her waist-height; anything having to do with slavery or the potential for it; races she's not familiar with (ie she is always scared in Sigil); and others' behaviors that do not follow the framework of rules she has in her mind (anything without "manners").

Probably her biggest fears are being left alone (which would lead to her being at the mercy of everything above), and she is petrified on several levels when Ash and Aranel argue (but she keeps that quiet).
[i][b]Arkon: "[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=Rali%27vinee_Ish%27tarestacia][color=#00BF00]Rali'vinee[/color][/url] is at the same time, the most lovable character I've ever come across, and the singularly most infuriating."[/b][/i]
Rudiki
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Rudiki »

But not "bunnies" anymore, now that she can see them, right?
13thHour : [Tell] *your alignment has long since passed any possible further move to 'sexy' due to reinventing the scale*

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Lexy]Lexy on the Wiki![/url]
Rali'vinee
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by Rali'vinee »

Rudiki wrote:But not "bunnies" anymore, now that she can see them, right?
LOL Right!
Rali USED to be afraid of traps, Seamus taught her to call them "bunnies" so they wouldn't be so scary, Ash taught her to dismantle them, and Dan'eth equipped the heck out of her with "find trap" wands and "true seeing" scrolls so that she can see them and do that. :)
[i][b]Arkon: "[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=Rali%27vinee_Ish%27tarestacia][color=#00BF00]Rali'vinee[/color][/url] is at the same time, the most lovable character I've ever come across, and the singularly most infuriating."[/b][/i]
davicurtistaggart

who?afraid?

Post by davicurtistaggart »

so frieda,completely misunderstanding,will engage in a campaign to round up and capture every bunny rabbit possible,just to ensure rali's safety,of course :)
ambrosia
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by ambrosia »

Bianca hasn't run into anything that has instilled a fear in her yet that is greater than her trust in Kord.

Nerice fears suffocation. She has experienced it twice (thanks to you DMs!!) and never -ever- wants to do that again. :P