What I do here, and why I do it. (Donation info)

The latest announcements from your Hala Team

Moderators: Arkon, Top Team

Akai
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Re: What I do here, and why I do it.

Post by Akai »

Maybe a button link to the donation & info page?

And yes, much appreciated! Thx again..:)
Themicles
Game Server Admin and Web Monkey

Post by Themicles »

I have a temporary but functional placeholder for the donation page back up now at page.php?page=donate

I installed my custom database driven website system in order to put it up. I will update the page with more info as soon as I get a proper writeup done. Until then, the link at the top redirects to here. The button functions just as it always has.
World Leader: Tairis'nàdur
Administrator: Confederation of Planes and Planets
Server Host & Web Monkey: Hala The Heroic Domain of Ysgard
Moonyju
Minor DM

Post by Moonyju »

A million thank yous again for all you do!

I think a visible button somewhere would help, or a prominent link to a donation page... anything visible enough to remind us all who need reminding to donate!

My PayPal account is toast, though.
Are there other easy ways to donate?
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

I am looking into Patreon as an option. And once I have the page I mentioned that would be specifically about me and what I do for various communities, there will be other links. I intend to keep an Amazon wishlist linked there, as well as other options. I'll be categorizing links into practical/need and gift/play. An example of something on the second list would be my Steam wishlist. Amazon and Steam are both examples of systems that allow you to gift to someone and have it delivered straight to them. You're paying the company directly with whatever payment method you use with them. The whole reason I'm looking at creating a page like this is that I perform services for several communities besides the one here. And I intend to take a much more active role in website management here from now on. I know the team has gotten thin, and you guys never did find a dedicated web monkey that could take on keeping the site updated and spambot free. I know a few of you tried, and I appreciate that you did. But obviously since I host you guys, I am probably best qualified skill-set wise to be the active web admin rather than just host.
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

Patreon isn't viable for the types of services I provide you guys and other communities. If I were working on a new video game, or actively adding to Tairis all the time, that may be another story. I also looked into Dwolla, but it also doesn't support international payments. I nearly signed up, but given that it wont help the situation, I've backed off for now. There are a number of other payment services I've seen, but no others that I'd trust. If I start doing things more appropriate for Patreon, I'll set one up. Until then, the above and PayPal are the only "money" options. Beyond that, its Amazon and Steam wishlists right now that I believe should work internationally.

Here are the options I'm seeing so far:
Google Wallet
  • Pros:
    • Its Google, you likely already have it even if you don't use it.
      A mobile app is available.
      You send money by way of the recipients Gmail address.
      I can get a Google Wallet card.
      I can use Google Wallet with a few vendors I already use.
      I already have used Google Wallet and use it as a passthrough when a service/vendor doesn't accept PayPal and I don't trust them with my debit card.
      No fees for me to receive. No fees for you to send if you don't add to your Wallet balance from a debit/credit card first. Just send straight with the debit card as source.
    Cons:
    • Not an option if you're donating from outside the US. :roll:
      Fees are assessed if adding to your Wallet balance via debit card. (Hint: you can get around that by just using Google Wallet to send money straight from a debit/credit card as source.)
      Not as widely accepted as I'd like, unless the Google Wallet card could be used.
Bitcoin
  • Pros:
    • I already have a Bitcoin wallet (has always been empty, never got any sent nor have I mined bitcoin).
      Not permanently tied to your bank account. Only necessary to use a card if buying Bitcoin from an exchange.
      Secure.
      I can use Bitcoin at my favorite electronics supplier. Which could allow me to produce electronics projects for fun and profit.
    Cons:
    • If you don't already have Bitcoin, you'd have to buy some at an exchange. Exchange rates vary wildly...
      Bitcoin is not widely accepted. I can't get a "Bitcoin Debit card".
      It'd be difficult for me to turn it back into real money.
      Again: exchange rates vary wildly meaning it could become worthless.
      Can't get a bitcoin card.
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

Not that it makes much difference, but I realized I had the wrong button up. It still goes to my account, but was labelled for Tairis. I've fixed it and its now properly labelled for here.
Akai
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Akai »

A quick glance at the forum index and the wiki page didn't turn up the button. Would it be hard to install a portal page like Arkaz and Avlis have?
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

Hard? No, as usable as what I'm working on? No. Quicker? Probably... :lol:

If you look at the VERY first post in this thread, at the very top of it, there is a link for now.
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

Just a reminder about the donate link until I have a more appropriate place for it. page.php?page=donate
Themicles

Re: What I do here, and why I do it. (Donation info)

Post by Themicles »

Worked on the donate page a little bit. Its full of a bunch of placeholder text for now and I would like to add more options to contribute, tip, or gift as thanks. Right now, it contains the PayPal link that we've always had, and three of my Amazon wishlists. I'm torn on adding info about sending money via Gmail. I think that'd be best as a "PM me for info on how" sorta thing since it requires giving my gmail address. Putting your e-mail address on a public webpage is just a recipe for spam and scammers.
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

Just a reminder about the donate link for those that mentioned they could use a reminder from time to time. page.php?page=donate
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

Hey guys, Carman just lost her job. It's going to be tight for a few weeks. If you've been wondering when, or waiting to donate. It would help us keep the bills paid through it. If you want a break down of what the servers cost, check the original post.
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

I really hate doing this. I feel like I'm begging. But I'm currently feeling the need to remind the community that the servers do cost money to keep going. Its not much, and I don't generally need any help. But any little bit can be the difference between eating ramen for a week or real food depending on whats going on that month. We recently acquired a second vehicle and have the insurance and registration of both in our names for the first time. So right now we're still adjusting to the additional drain.

I do make every effort to get things fixed when they break down (ie. servers down. I am not involved in the in game systems). Sometimes no one notifies me and I don't find out right away, but when I am notified, I try to resolve the situation as fast as possible. I was recently told I should be enjoying my camping trip instead of trying to figure something out for someone. But my phone would have allowed me to do it lakeside if I hadn't been convinced otherwise.
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

Another bump and reminder that keeping the servers running does incur a monthly cost to me. Even if just 10 players donated $5, it would more than offset the costs incurred by Hala alone based on the estimates in the original post.
Chastened Phoenix
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Chastened Phoenix »

Hi. New to this server, and Prodigal player returning to this medium after more than a decade in exile. I'd be happy to pitch in, both here and Arkaz, but don't see donation links?

Also, have Hala and Arkaz been consolidated into one organization? I'd understood that the teams overlapped?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from technology."

Insanely Curious
Curiously Insane ;)
Chastened Phoenix
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Chastened Phoenix »

Still hoping for a reply. :(
Sent Themicles a PM.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from technology."

Insanely Curious
Curiously Insane ;)