Server Outage: Status (Check back for updates)

The latest announcements from your Hala Team

Moderators: Arkon, Top Team

Themicles
Game Server Admin and Web Monkey

Server Outage: Status (Check back for updates)

Post by Themicles »

Servers are ONLINE.
Quick version of the status- Electricity: ON | DSL: UP | Cable: UP | UPS Status: Full

UPDATE July 2nd 5:20pm EDT: Servers are up and running. I gave the batteries time to charge and confidence to build that the power might stay on. Also got some offline maintenance done on the servers.

UPDATE July 2nd 3:45pm EDT: As I was posting the previous update, the power came on. I am currently letting the UPS units charge their batteries and giving it time to be sure the power stays on. If the power is still on by 4:30pm EDT and the batteries are greater than 50% I will start bringing them back up. I am currently monitoring battery charge rate and will adjust that estimate accordingly.

UPDATE July 2nd 3:33pm EDT: DTE app is very useful. Good news is that I was able to get an estimate on when power will be restored and the app will notify me if the status changes. Bad news is that their estimate is 11:39pm EDT tonight. I am working on looking for a generator, but can't afford to buy one right now. Hoping to borrow one.

UPDATE 2:56pm EDT: The DSL is back online. Be aware that with the extent of the problems in the area, there is a possibility of service dropping again. I'll update here if anything changes.

DSL appears to work at the modem, but I can't confirm that there is any DSL service as Zeus wont talk to the damn thing.

Now for the long version: (Following posted July 1st)
Storm rolled in around 3am. Once it picked up, the power started going out. Internet services went up and down. This lasted for around about an hour and a half. In one 5 minute period, the UPS on the server rack logged 22 separate power events (noise on the line, low volt as low as 19v when it should be 120v from the wall, and full blackout for 2 minutes). Most events were a combination of noise and low voltage.

When the storm passed, things settled. DSL was up, cable was up and the power was on. Around the time I went to bed, cable (TV and internet) went down with clear sunny skies. But the DSL was still up and power still on. Somewhere in between, the DSL went flakey and another power event was logged by the UPS.

We are apparently in a horseshoe shape of area that still has power. Surrounded on three sides by those that don't. There are trees down, limbs down, and lots of generators running. My mother called to tell me she drove around to see what all happened. She didn't see a single service truck for DTE, AT&T, nor Comcast. This rules out swapping you guys to the cable internet until the DSL is stable.

I'm online currently by tethering over my phone, which this morning had terrible signal but it seems Verizon fixed that since then. If I had a 4g phone I'd redirect the servers through it so you guys could play. But over 3g you'd have a terrible experience. I'm still working at the DSL issue. Like I said, modem appears to suggest the DSL connects. But the modem wont talk to Zeus.
Last edited by Themicles on Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 7 times in total.
World Leader: Tairis'nàdur
Administrator: Confederation of Planes and Planets
Server Host & Web Monkey: Hala The Heroic Domain of Ysgard
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

Updated 3:50pm EDT
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

Updated 5:20pm EDT
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

Pulling the Announcement status of this thread as there aren't likely to be any more power grid or internet service issues.