Avlis and EE

The latest announcements from your Hala Team

Moderators: Arkon, Top Team

Trole
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Avlis and EE

Post by Trole »

Will Ysgard, Hala and Tairis be making the change to the Enhanced Edition like was just announced Avlis will be doing in July? or Will it be remaining as it is? I am asking, so if I have to, I can port all of my characters out of Avlis so I have no " you are on the wrong server" login problems.

https://www.avlis.org/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=141696
Akai
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Re: Avlis and EE

Post by Akai »

I have not heard of any plans to port Ysgard & Arkaz to EE; I imagine that will be up to our technical support. Moving characters off Avlis ahead of time is a good idea, but if you wind up with characters stuck on Avlis you can ping the DM team to unstick them on Ysgard (though you'd lose any changes since you last portalled.)
Rudiki
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Rudiki »

We definitely need to discuss this. I have heard nothing about any plans to move to EE. As far as I know, nobody here has the capability to do that.
13thHour : [Tell] *your alignment has long since passed any possible further move to 'sexy' due to reinventing the scale*

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Lexy]Lexy on the Wiki![/url]
Trole

Post by Trole »

Rudiki wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:44 am We definitely need to discuss this. I have heard nothing about any plans to move to EE. As far as I know, nobody here has the capability to do that.
Themi hosts Taris, Hala and Ysgard and is more than talented to convert all three but He'd have to answer if he really wants to do it and has the time to do it, it's going to be a lot of work and there are going to be headaches, I've gotten a headache just trying to locate the new EE game folder and find CD keys in it :wink: Either way they say Alpha will still be active after so "As is" will still work.
Shoot, Tairis will be cut off from Ysgard and Arkaz unless Themi changes port location/destination from Avlis to Ysgard, Begging may be required lol!
Jenai
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by Jenai »

I am hoping that the rest of Copap joins Avlis moving to EE. I think the EE can bring back players. *crosses fingers*.
Quote:
Jenai even at near death is about as helpless as that kitten in Mithro. *Daemona*
Rudiki
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Rudiki »

I've got more info on this and will compose a detailed post tomorrow. I did talk with Themi, and we have a direction to go in. :)
13thHour : [Tell] *your alignment has long since passed any possible further move to 'sexy' due to reinventing the scale*

Jenai
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by Jenai »

Rudiki wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:55 am I've got more info on this and will compose a detailed post tomorrow. I did talk with Themi, and we have a direction to go in. :)
YAY!
Quote:
Jenai even at near death is about as helpless as that kitten in Mithro. *Daemona*
Rudiki
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Rudiki »

Heya,

I'm going to be really basic and simple, because I'm an idiot. My apologies if you already know this stuff, but I didn't, and maybe some others don't, either.

This is what I know so far:

Avlis has said they are going to leave the "Alpha Server" running after they go to EE, which means that logging on to and transitioning between Ysgard and Arkaz will still be possible; it will be "business as usual" in that regard. We just won't have access to Avlis anymore.

Since Tairis is connected to Ysgard and Arkaz through Avlis, Tairis will need to be connected directly to Ysgard in order for it to be reached by players. This is something Themi can do, and intends to; the plan is to do this as soon as possible.

In order for the rest of Copap to link back up with Avlis after Avlis goes to EE, there has to be a "Vautster" version for EE. Avlis is on one server, Ysgard and Tairis are on another server, and Arkaz is on another server. Vaultster is what allows the worlds on different servers to be connected together. This technology does not currently exist for EE, so right now, even if all of Copap moved to EE, they couldn't link up. They would be separate worlds on separate servers, with no connection to each other. So to link back up in EE, a solution would have to be found to this problem. That's not something Themi can do. Avlis has said on their boards that they are looking into ways to do this. Anyone who knows a way, or has the proper skills, is encouraged to also look into this.

Also, of course, if that problem gets solved, Ysgard, Arkaz, and Tairis would need to convert to EE. As I understand it, this won't be quick or easy, but it's perfectly do-able, and Themi does have the needed skills, and is willing to work on it. If others who have the skills can help, that would be great, too. I think this ought to be started as soon as possible rather than waiting for a Vaultster solution to be found, so that if one is found, we'll have a head start on switching over to link back up, but I think that even if we get that work done we should wait to actually switch over to EE until we know we can link back up, since if we switch over before that, we'll not only still be cut off from Avlis, we'll also get cut off from Arkaz at that point.

On the technical side, I have only spoken to Themi about this. I have not spoken yet with anyone involved on the tech side with Arkaz. I believe the intention of all parties involved (Ysgard, Arkaz, Tairis, and Avlis) is to ultimately link back up together in EE, though.

If anyone has any questions (or corrections) about any of this, I'll do my best to find the answers, and I'd be grateful if anyone involved would contact me either on Discord or here to give me their thoughts and recommendations. Those who know me at all know that I am a total Luddite, but if there's anything I can do to help this happen and facilitate communication, please let me know. And, Themi, if I said anything wrong, please correct me. Thanks so much!

I will continue to post progress as I learn it.

-Rudiki (half of what passes for Ysgard World Leader these days) :)

Trole

Post by Trole »

A huge thank you from me for putting that together Rudiki!
Druid523
Wiki Pioneer

Post by Druid523 »

I may be overselling my skillset here a bit, but I'm rather technically proficient and a quick study. I'd be happy to help with the conversion to EE if such help is beneficial.
"The ways in which they are different are maybe more visible but less important than the ways in which they are alike." -Rudiki about Alexis and Sceluscio

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Sceluscio_Potementia]Scel's Wiki Entry[/url]
Trole

Post by Trole »

Rudiki wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:01 am
Since Tairis is connected to Ysgard and Arkaz through Avlis, Tairis will need to be connected directly to Ysgard in order for it to be reached by players. This is something Themi can do, and intends to; the plan is to do this as soon as possible.
I have 20 characters on three accounts ready in Tairis to test and put the new portal through it's paces when the time comes.. :)
Trole

Post by Trole »

Druid523 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:47 am I may be overselling my skillset here a bit, but I'm rather technically proficient and a quick study. I'd be happy to help with the conversion to EE if such help is beneficial.
Nice! I would suggest you send Themicles "Themi" a PM and coordinate.