Avlis <-> Hala portal fixed

The latest announcements from your Hala Team

Moderators: Arkon, Top Team

Final Shinryuu
Newb of the Year: First Place

Post by Final Shinryuu »

tristan_durst wrote:
Have not heard anything aboout Mystara going down for good, but I have been too busy with Arborea. Which BTW will be up sometime this weekend.

-Tristan
Hooray! I'm sure the beta will go off splendidly!
Serenyddion, talking about Upholstery_Imp and myself:
"Wow, it's like the insanity of both of you somehow refracts off the other and is magnified in the process."
NWDuneAuron
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by NWDuneAuron »

tristan_durst wrote:
Final Shinryuu wrote:
Enverex wrote: I think Nob was refering to Avlis. The Glantri link was supposed to stay afaik.
Oh. Oh well.
I've heard rumors of the Mystara servers going down for good, anyways. Anyone hear more on that?
Have not heard anything aboout Mystara going down for good, but I have been too busy with Arborea. Which BTW will be up sometime this weekend.

-Tristan
Shameless advertiser =p.
tristan_durst
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by tristan_durst »

8) :wink:

Now just to get Beta done, and link with you all, and Outlands...
Final Shinryuu
Newb of the Year: First Place

Post by Final Shinryuu »

tristan_durst wrote:8) :wink:

Now just to get Beta done, and link with you all, and Outlands...
One step at a time, now. If you rush ahead like this, the devolopers won't have time to build it all, and will do shoddy work. You don't want me doing shoddy work now, do you? :wink:
Serenyddion, talking about Upholstery_Imp and myself:
"Wow, it's like the insanity of both of you somehow refracts off the other and is magnified in the process."
NWDuneAuron

Post by NWDuneAuron »

*Knocks together an Arborea link area in 2 minutes*

did the portal move or something from cyndrids tower

Post by Guest »

I was just wondering cause i dont see it in the room its normally in. Did you all move it to a different locale.
Sable
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Sable »

been wondering about portals and the troubles they cause. I realise this should be raised at a CoPaP level, but I'm not really a member of that forum and I could really do without joining another one... lifes too short. So, heres a suggestion for you, I'm pretty certain its all possible (definately at a DB level, pretty confident at a code level).

As far as I see it, when you portal the server you're exiting knows where you're going because, well hell there was a whole portalling system written to get you there. Therefore, it should be pretty simple to write a record to your DB file to say where you "should" be. Theoretically, the system should also be able to tell the difference between a player logging in and arriving through a portal (a whole system is needed to pass the bic from one vault to the other), therefore you should be able to work out who comes back via a portal and who just logs back into the server they shouldn't be on.
If a server detects that the player should be somewhere else, rather than refusing them entry it could be set to request the bic from the server they should be on rather than use the one it has. To be doubley sure, it could rename the bic to (for example) .bic.hala to allow for an easy restore should something horrible happen. If the coders really wanted to show off, they could put forwarding routes in so that if the server requests from a server that the player has left as well (say they are jumping 2 servers back) it forwards the request onto the server it knows the player has moved onto. And to wrap it all up, if at any point the server fails to get a response from the server its trying to get the bic from, it either goes with the most recently modified bic in the chain or what it has.

As far as I can work out, this should fix most of the woes brought about by portal abuse. Suggest it, ignore it, hurl abuse at me for it, s'up to you from here. :D
"Abash'd the Devil stood, And felt how awful goodness is, and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely” John Milton
Days Awake
Resident DM Griefer

Post by Days Awake »

sounds great,but seems they have enough trouble making the one they use now work,or so is said......

how much more difficult would this be to make work ok since they have enough trouble dealing with problems?
Sex is like a box of chocolates, sometimes your fingers get sticky! >=) -

Jskee:Jeezus, you're cuddly as a porcupine sometimes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcBc9iwPN50&feature=related
Anniko
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Anniko »

Sable wrote:Lots of stuff
I like it!
Ammenti Ril
Celestial Order, Phoenix Guards, Plane of Ysgard
KeirannHalcynn

Post by KeirannHalcynn »

is this portal back up or not? (Hala to Avlis, vice versa?)
Jskee
Dead man walking...

Post by Jskee »

KeirannHalcynn wrote:is this portal back up or not? (Hala to Avlis, vice versa?)
No, and there won't be a direct link from Hala to Avlis again.
terror2001

Post by terror2001 »

Sable wrote:been wondering about portals and the troubles they cause. I realise this should be raised at a CoPaP level, but I'm not really a member of that forum and I could really do without joining another one... lifes too short. So, heres a suggestion for you, I'm pretty certain its all possible (definately at a DB level, pretty confident at a code level).

As far as I see it, when you portal the server you're exiting knows where you're going because, well hell there was a whole portalling system written to get you there. Therefore, it should be pretty simple to write a record to your DB file to say where you "should" be. Theoretically, the system should also be able to tell the difference between a player logging in and arriving through a portal (a whole system is needed to pass the bic from one vault to the other), therefore you should be able to work out who comes back via a portal and who just logs back into the server they shouldn't be on.
If a server detects that the player should be somewhere else, rather than refusing them entry it could be set to request the bic from the server they should be on rather than use the one it has. To be doubley sure, it could rename the bic to (for example) .bic.hala to allow for an easy restore should something horrible happen. If the coders really wanted to show off, they could put forwarding routes in so that if the server requests from a server that the player has left as well (say they are jumping 2 servers back) it forwards the request onto the server it knows the player has moved onto. And to wrap it all up, if at any point the server fails to get a response from the server its trying to get the bic from, it either goes with the most recently modified bic in the chain or what it has.

As far as I can work out, this should fix most of the woes brought about by portal abuse. Suggest it, ignore it, hurl abuse at me for it, s'up to you from here. :D
This process works in stages and not all components are linked together sharing information.

Here's the basic gist:

1. PC enters area transition of a portal.
2. System saves the char to DB and BIC file.
3. Vaultster communicates with the destination server and transfers the BIC if communication is successful.
4. A Bioware function is called to log you out of the current server and into the new server via IP/DNS, pass, with a destination location.
5. The new server reads the BIC in the servervault folder for your GS name and logs you in at the destination.

That is the very basic process without getting into too many details.
Vaultster and the Bioware transfer function do not directly communicate with each other. The way it is set up now, the servers know if someone comes in via a portal or not, but not necessarily which server they came from. It could be edited to have that information, but would require another version of Vaulster code implemented CoPaP-wide.
KeirannHalcynn

Post by KeirannHalcynn »

is there a definitive, updated guide on which worlds are connected and which aren't.
Days Awake
Resident DM Griefer

Post by Days Awake »

nope :lol:
Sex is like a box of chocolates, sometimes your fingers get sticky! >=) -

Jskee:Jeezus, you're cuddly as a porcupine sometimes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcBc9iwPN50&feature=related
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

they call it FOIG (Find Out In Game) like it, hate it, thats the way it is :?
Fredegar
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Fredegar »

Here's the chant:

----
Hala <-> Ysgard
Ysgard <-> Hades
Ysgard <-> Arkaz*
Ysgard <-> **
----
Hades <-> Greyhawk
Hades <-> Ysgard
----
Greyhawk <-> **
Greyhawk <-> Hades
----
Abyss <-> Catara
----
Catara <-> Abyss
----
Tairis'nadur <-> Elysia
----
Elysia <-> Tairis'nadur
Elysia <-> Ferrell
Elysia <-> Wilderness
Elysia <-> Mikona

Ferrell <-> Deglos
Ferrell <-> Elysia
Ferrell <-> Wilderness
Ferrell <-> Mikona

Deglos <-> Visimontium
Deglos <-> Ferrell
Deglos <-> Wilderness
Deglos <-> **

Wilderness <-> Deglos
Wilderness <-> Elysia
Wilderness <-> Ferrell
Wilderness <-> Le'Or
Wilderness <-> Mikona

Le'Or <-> Wilderness

Mikona <-> Ferrell
Mikona <-> Elysia
Mikona <-> Wilderness
Mikona <-> Kuras

Visimontium <-> Kuras
Visimontium <-> Deglos
Visimontium <-> ***
----
Kuras <-> Visimontium
Kuras <-> Mikona
----

*Arkaz is two servers, not sure what goes where
**May possibly have another portal, not positive
***The possibilities are endless to those who know the way.

Of course.. I could be lying or mistaken.. Dun dun dun. Not all portals can be used by all players or levels or classes, etc. (March 29, 2006)
Mabus

Post by Mabus »

Avlis<-->Hala portal is down I hear. Any idea when it's to be back up?
"If you say you're going crazy then you must be perfectly sane for a lunatic never has doubts about his sanity."
Trinity
Veteran DM

Post by Trinity »

The Avlis to Hala portal was removed over a year ago.
Mabus

Post by Mabus »

Doh! I came all the way from GW to travel there. :p Ah well. I'm actually liking Hala. So is it possible to travel there indirectly then? Such as through another world linked to Hala?
"If you say you're going crazy then you must be perfectly sane for a lunatic never has doubts about his sanity."
Dengar
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by Dengar »

I say keep em seperate... to many problems, with plots, Characters, Items, and so forth... Until Arkon, and Avilis' main cheese can agree on common ground, there really is no reason to have a portal.

Just a crazy dwarfs thought
Why do they call him Boris the bullet dodger?

Because he dodges bulltes Avi!
Idonia

Post by Idonia »

That's why we don't have a portal right now, Dengar, and I believe, as read some where.. it really didn't make sense for plane-hopping to be as easy as it was. There should be penalties. It should be difficult. Prime Material Plane to an Outer Plane or whatchamacallit? You'd kind of have to -die- to travel. Anyway. That's what Arkon's working on I think, as well as with Orleron.
[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Lily]Lily[/url]
Dengar
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by Dengar »

So my head is in the right place, but the wrong time?

That's how I feel everyday!

=)
Why do they call him Boris the bullet dodger?

Because he dodges bulltes Avi!
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

I always enjoyed going to different worlds. Shame more servers arnt linked.
Grovel puts the P in swimming pool.
Small in stature, large in power, narrow of focus and wide of vision
My play/DM times: [url]http://www.ysgard.org/viewtopic.php?highlight=play&t=7671[/url]
albonia

Post by albonia »

I think all the CoPap worlds need to be linked for their own good. NWN is getting old now and NWN 2 is not far off. I look at the listings on gamespy and many other servers who a year ago had 10-20 people on now have 1 often none.

The trouble is no matter how good a PW is and hala is good. When you have done the spiders /minos/ ice palace 20 or 30 times it gets a bit stale. One way to make NWN more intresting is to let us travel to differant PW try new quests explore a bit.

Otherwise i can see a slow sad decline with many PW closing.
A quote from a mage, without my magic I am just an Elf in a bathrobe.
Zelle
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Zelle »

albonia wrote:I think all the CoPap worlds need to be linked for their own good. NWN is getting old now and NWN 2 is not far off. I look at the listings on gamespy and many other servers who a year ago had 10-20 people on now have 1 often none.

The trouble is no matter how good a PW is and hala is good. When you have done the spiders /minos/ ice palace 20 or 30 times it gets a bit stale. One way to make NWN more intresting is to let us travel to differant PW try new quests explore a bit.

Otherwise i can see a slow sad decline with many PW closing.
100% agreement. And not everyone will be doing the NWN 2 conversion, my character, Zale, will not be possible in NWN 2 for example, since they nixed shifters.
<Hoplite> Prop your digging yourself he hugest hole ever bro
<Prophecy67> could be
* Lie takes the shovel from Prophecy67
<Hoplite> Your using a back hoe, drunk, in a china shop
<Prophecy67> The hoe
<Prophecy67> is she cute ?
<Hoplite> Considering your drunk, yes