Server Situation Update

The latest announcements from your Hala Team

Moderators: Arkon, Top Team

Themicles
Game Server Admin and Web Monkey

Server Situation Update

Post by Themicles »

As many of you have already read, at roughly 3am on January 2nd our UPS fried and took out the power supply on Poseidon. The RAM and hard drive from Poseidon were moved into Andromeda for temporary hosting until we could get a new power supply to test Poseidon's motherboard and get it back online. The game servers were back in service by 7:30am that morning.

Thanks to the generosity of one of our own here, we received a brand new APC UPS on Monday January 7th, and a new 2U rackmount case with power supply on Tuesday January 8th.

I began setup of Poseidon shortly after the new case arrived. The motherboard went through a full POST when tested. Since the BioWare Master Server was down, I took the opportunity to shut down Andromeda, remove Poseidon's RAM and hard drive from it, and placed those parts in the new case. Poseidon was back up and fully running, connected to the new UPS, by around 5-6pm EST. I went to sleep for a while.

When I woke, I found that no one could log into Hala or Ysgard. I had forgotten to update the port forwards to point back at Poseidon instead of Andromeda again. I later found that I also had forgotten to update the Hala MySQL user's host so that it was allowed to log in from Poseidon. This caused odd problems on the server with things as simple as traveling from Hala to Ysgard. When I fixed that, I also realized DBWatcher needed to be reconfigured with the new address of the database, since it was moved to my central DB server on the network. All in all, I missed a lot of things that I should have gotten right the first time. :oops:

By around 4-5am EST on January 9th, I finally got everything straightened out. Hala and Ysgard are once again running on Poseidon and are accessible. Poseidon is in a new 2U rackmount chassis in preparation for a server rack in the room sometime this Spring. And we now have a well known and trusted brand of UPS protecting Poseidon from power grid hiccups.

I'll leave it up to the generous one's discretion as to whether or not they want it known who they are. I realize that not everyone who donates wants to be publicly known for it.
World Leader: Tairis'nàdur
Administrator: Confederation of Planes and Planets
Server Host & Web Monkey: Hala The Heroic Domain of Ysgard
whirlin_merlin
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Re: Server Situation Update

Post by whirlin_merlin »

Themicles wrote:The RAM and hard drive from Poseidon were moved into Andromeda for temporary hosting until we could get a new power supply to test Poseidon's motherboard and get it back online.
Whoa, my laptop's name is Andromeda.
Themicles wrote: Poseidon is in a new 2U rackmount chassis in preparation for a server rack in the room sometime this Spring.
"A server rack? I don't even own a server. Little own many servers to necessitate an entire rack."

Adaptation of the quote from the movie Wayne's World:

"A gun rack? I don't even own a gun. Little own many guns to necessitate an entire rack."

Go Team Hala. :D
Trinity
Veteran DM

Post by Trinity »

I thank everyone involved who helps keep Hala alive and well.

Trin
princessofjustice
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by princessofjustice »

i second that notion :)
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Re: Server Situation Update

Post by Psye Shaar »

whirlin_merlin wrote:
Themicles wrote:The RAM and hard drive from Poseidon were moved into Andromeda for temporary hosting until we could get a new power supply to test Poseidon's motherboard and get it back online.
Whoa, my laptop's name is Andromeda.
Themicles wrote: Poseidon is in a new 2U rackmount chassis in preparation for a server rack in the room sometime this Spring.
"A server rack? I don't even own a server. Little own many servers to necessitate an entire rack."

Adaptation of the quote from the movie Wayne's World:

"A gun rack? I don't even own a gun. Little own many guns to necessitate an entire rack."

Go Team Hala. :D
Server here's also called Andromeda, but regardless of how many times I turn it on, Lexa Doig still hasn't appeared next to it :cry:
[i]"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction." [/i]
Blaise Pascal (1623 - 1662)
Teria
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by Teria »

Here's a pic of the new server case, and battery backup, as well as Tairis's new home. Note: This placement of the actual machines is only temporary, as we're hopefully getting out of this house in the spring, and will be able to set up a proper server closet.

Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

*Licks the EMF*
[i]I live yet do not live in me,
am waiting as my life goes by,
and die because I do not die.
- St John of the Cross.[/i]

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=User:Xanthalas][size=75]WIKI INFO[/size][/url]
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

Xanthalas wrote:*Licks the EMF*
Yeahh... it kinda makes it impossible to listen to FM radio, heh.
darkserra
Craftmaster

Post by darkserra »

Makes me wonder if Themi and Kessa glow in the dark yet... :shock:
-- [i]People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.[/i]
George Orwell
Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

Themicles wrote:
Xanthalas wrote:*Licks the EMF*
Yeahh... it kinda makes it impossible to listen to FM radio, heh.
Supposedly you can make conductors that redirect the EMF to not cause interference, and headaches. But it's theoretical.

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=User:Xanthalas][size=75]WIKI INFO[/size][/url]
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

Xanthalas wrote:Supposedly you can make conductors that redirect the EMF to not cause interference, and headaches. But it's theoretical.
No headaches here. *shrug*
Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

Themicles wrote:
Xanthalas wrote:Supposedly you can make conductors that redirect the EMF to not cause interference, and headaches. But it's theoretical.
No headaches here. *shrug*
Good! yeah. There's some sort of theory that EMF fields, (Like big power boxes) can cause illness or fatigue. Not sure if it's true, but everyones heard of someone, I'm sure. :D

Now for your FM radio.
Uh...
Use your net. :P

Teria
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by Teria »

oh, we do.