Downtime: Database Hard Disk Failure

The latest announcements from your Hala Team

Moderators: Arkon, Top Team

Themicles
Game Server Admin and Web Monkey

Downtime: Database Hard Disk Failure

Post by Themicles »

Our database has experienced a Primary Master Hard Disk Failure and is currently down for diagnosis and repair.

We take daily backups of the database, so at worst it may get rolled back by 24 hours.

This down time may be extensive as the hard drive may need to be replaced (we have a spare or two to switch to).

During this downtime of the database, the servers will be down as well as they generally cannot function properly without it.
World Leader: Tairis'nàdur
Administrator: Confederation of Planes and Planets
Server Host & Web Monkey: Hala The Heroic Domain of Ysgard
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

After some shuffling of hard disks, writing a new MBR on a hard disk that was previously a secondary slave and is now a primary master, Lazarus is back up.

The database was completely safe from the hard disk failure. The servers are back up.
Last edited by Themicles on Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arkon
World Leader

Post by Arkon »

I have said it before, and I will say it again. You Roxorz Themicles
Respect is Earned! Fear is Demanded!
Rali'vinee
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by Rali'vinee »

+1

*encourages teh clicky to DONATE:*

portal.php

edit: I've replaced the long page widening link with a link to the front page where donation links for both the hosting of the game servers, and the website hosting reside. - Themicles
Last edited by Rali'vinee on Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tremayne7
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by Tremayne7 »

Themi and the Hala Team all Rock!

You guys are the best.

To my fellow players....

I think we can find a few gold coins to toss Themi's way.

Thanks and love as always,

Tremayne
Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning

"If life is a hankerchief, love is the embrodery that makes it more beautiful." - Alexis Dufresne Montjoie

"A Tyrite, a thief, a ranger and a preppy elf were sitting in a bar with a druidess..." -Aranel
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

I was about ready to pass back out when I made my last post... just realized the first sentence is incomplete. Fixing it now. :lol:

EDIT:
And now I'm editing this post too...

Some more details: Apparently Lazarus' power cord was mistaken for another one, and Lazarus ended up not plugged into the UPS, while something else that didn't need backup power was. This morning our power started flicking on and off rather rapidly and we woke to the sound of computers turning off and back on along with the warning beeps from the UPS telling us it was switching to backup power.

Many people know that rapidly powering up and then powering down a PC can really trash hard disks. Most cases, you may just end up with a corrupt Master Boot Record, or with Windows 2000 and higher you may end up with a corrupt hard disk controller driver (hint, run a "Recovery Install" from your Windows install disc. DO NOT format! Do not start a fresh install).

This killed the Primary Master hard disk that had the Master Boot Record for starting the computer. It was a Maxtor 30 GB hard disk that came out in 2003. Right around the time Maxtor hard drive longevity started going down hill. Luckily, the Linux OS install along with the database were on another hard drive. Ironically, it was the oldest hard drive in the computer at 13 GBs and a production date in 1999! It still passes health tests even. :D

I had to write a new MBR to the 13 GB disk so that the system would start again, and rearranged all of the drives with the 30 GB one now missing. This meant I also had to rearrange some config files in Linux, but it's all good now.

The 30 GB hard drive only had a Win2k AS install and some files backed up to it that mostly had copies elsewhere on the network anyway.

For anyone concerned, we do have daily complete database backups that are saved to a whole other computer on the network with much newer and (hopefully) more reliable hardware. Lazarus is next on the block to be rebuilt, and I'll be going with a redundant RAID setup for backups (though the database will be on a single disk to keep write performance up).
whirlin_merlin
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by whirlin_merlin »

Themicles wrote:redundant RAID
A points if anyone can figure out why this phrase is amusing and how many points you are getting. :) Also, Themi is 31337.
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

whirlin_merlin wrote:
A points if anyone can figure out why this phrase is amusing and how many points you are getting. :)
Too true, but not all "Redundant Array of Inexpensive Drives" configurations have any sort of data security (redundancy). Raid 0 for instance. ;P
Sable
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Sable »

neither are they always inexpensive :lol:

btw, do you actually suffer much in the way of write latency? (RAID 5 can cause this in high transaction DBs, but I'm not sure how many transactions per second a NWN server could create).

Its a daft question I know, but I assume RAID 10 is not an option?
whirlin_merlin
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by whirlin_merlin »

Themicles wrote:
whirlin_merlin wrote:
A points if anyone can figure out why this phrase is amusing and how many points you are getting. :)
Too true, but not all "Redundant Array of Inexpensive Drives" configurations have any sort of data security (redundancy). Raid 0 for instance. ;P
Right, but with the acronym being what it is the phrase is still redundant. :)
Sable wrote:neither are they always inexpensive :lol:
Indeed not. RAID is sometimes said to stand for Redundant Array of Independent Disks.
Rudiki
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Rudiki »

*looks at all the pretty words and is glad there are people here who understand them*

I'm also glad I was unable to log in anyway for RL reasons when the servers were down; so painless; please always arrange things that way! :)
13thHour : [Tell] *your alignment has long since passed any possible further move to 'sexy' due to reinventing the scale*

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Lexy]Lexy on the Wiki![/url]
Druid523
Wiki Pioneer

Post by Druid523 »

Rali'vinee wrote:*encourages teh clicky to DONATE:*
portal.php
Done! :)