UPDATE 2: About Recent Server Instability

The latest announcements from your Hala Team

Moderators: Arkon, Top Team

Themicles
Game Server Admin and Web Monkey

UPDATE 2: About Recent Server Instability

Post by Themicles »

UPDATE 2: Cause of the most recent lockups has been identified as a corrupted character file. This was causing the servers to crash when their player tried to log them in. The only known corrupted file thus far has been restored to the most recent non-corrupt copy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: Lockups are persisting. The servers lasted about 3 hours before locking up again. One had crashed after an hour but restarted on it's own as normal. CPU temperatures are normal. Investigating...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over the last week the servers have been becoming increasingly unstable and on three occasions have locked up completely. After a few attempts at merely resetting the servers, and then attempting a reboot of Poseidon I discovered that the CPU temperature was at around 77 degrees celsius. Even, or especially, for the AMD CPU in Poseidon that is extremely high.

I immediately pulled the server from the rack, verified all fans were in working order, and took the case out for dusting. We thoroughly dusted the server and made sure all fan grills and the heatsink were clear of any dust or debris. During this time we also pulled and dusted Phoenix.

After bringing both servers back online, temperatures are holding significantly lower. I will continue to monitor the temperature of Poseidon's CPU until I go to bed tonight.

In case you are curious, the servers are as follows:
Poseidon: Hosts Hala and Ysgard servers.
Eostre: Hosts the Tairis server.
Phoenix: Hosts the database for both worlds.

I apologize for the abrupt and unplanned downtime. I should have dusted the servers as soon as spring weather started.
Last edited by Themicles on Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:57 am, edited 5 times in total.
World Leader: Tairis'nàdur
Administrator: Confederation of Planes and Planets
Server Host & Web Monkey: Hala The Heroic Domain of Ysgard
Jenai
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by Jenai »

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you for taking great care of our home away from. I cannot say it enough! Thank you!
Quote:
Jenai even at near death is about as helpless as that kitten in Mithro. *Daemona*
Moonyju
Minor DM

Post by Moonyju »

*nodnodnodnodnodnodnodnods*

Thank you! *squeezies!*
bidocks
Knight of the Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by bidocks »

Yes, thank you very much for all you do to keep our world alive. :D
Player of:
[b]Victoria DeVitale:[/b] "You know that little voice in your head? The one that tells you not to say things you probably shouldn't? Uhm.... yeah, I don't have one of those."
[b]Nixiana:[/b] *with a look of complete seriousness* "All true elves come from the forest...."
Themicles
Game Server Admin and Web Monkey

Post by Themicles »

Updated the first post again.

Coincidences suck! I was freaking out that I'd have to replace hardware or something. Can't afford that right now with a small debt hole we're climbing out of.
World Leader: Tairis'nàdur
Administrator: Confederation of Planes and Planets
Server Host & Web Monkey: Hala The Heroic Domain of Ysgard
Derica
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Derica »

woo-hoo!
You ROCK! :mrgreen:
_JM_
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by _JM_ »

Many thanks to you for the hard work and keeping things going.
davicurtistaggart
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

updates

Post by davicurtistaggart »

yes,bumpity-bumpity-bump to all the thanks for your hard work and creativity!