Time for a stroll....

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

Does my character feel it necessary to run ~everywhere~?

All the time - they're hyperactive
6%
Only if it's an emergency (Last orders at the inn)
13%
Rarely - A nice stroll through the countryside chatting to bandits is much more fun...
25%
Other (please state reasons)
56%

Total votes: 16

Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Time for a stroll....

Post by Psye Shaar »

This is something that's been brought up elsewhere before, but it's something people could possibly think about here too.

Do your characters really feel the need to run everywhere when you're 'alone'?

I'll be the first to admit that a few times when i've thought about a little NPC interaction for PC's, i've given up after trying to catch up with them screen after screen, simply because they choose to run the whole time.

Unless your computer is slower than mine, I'm afraid i'm not psychic, so I can't jump 3 screens ahead to intercept, thus, you miss out on the chance of that little extra interaction.

Then of course there's the IC perspective. I know it can be dull to walk places when your PC is alone, but would they really run? Honestly? If you're a fighter type or a cleric, then that full plate would get really uncomfortable bouncing up and down as you head from A to B. Will those extra few minutes really kill you? (Dune, please don't answer that.. :twisted: )

So... thoughts, opinions, lets hear them all :)
Idonia
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by Idonia »

It depends. If I'm going someplace and alt+tabbing to check another window I'm in stealth mode walking. If not I'll haste and walk, or run. Yes I am guilty of running...
[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Lily]Lily[/url]
Grimm
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Grimm »

Grimm often walks when he travels but it only takes one person in the group to start running to get me to run... Gotta keep up somehow!
darkserra
Craftmaster

Post by darkserra »

I run everywhere.....

Mapping takes too long when you walk :)

But I do stop and talk to people when I find them.
-- [i]People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.[/i]
George Orwell
Jskee
Dead man walking...

Post by Jskee »

I do some of both, it just boils down to how much time do I have? If I'm pressed for time IRL, then I run...if I'm not, then I'll probably walk. To ~always~ walk isn't fun for me, and to ~always~ run just seems corny.

I probably do run more than I walk....
Odin Hammersong
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Odin Hammersong »

I think the decision to run or walk is much more important when you're in a party. I've found that I tend to have a lot more fun, and feel a lot more immersion, when the party walks together. It just seems much more realistic.

When alone, I run just about all the time unless either a DM is there, or I'm just in a pure RP sort of mood, which is pretty often. One excuse I have is that my char is a high priest of Travel, and it's usually looke3d upon well to cover a lot of ground. Also, running is a way for the old man to keep in shape. :)

However, if I know a DM is around, or there are other PCs there, I try to keep it as realistic as possible and only run if it's very necessary.

In the DM client it's damn hard to keep up with PCs who insist on running everywhere. Support your local DM and slow down. ;)

--Odin
"All tryin' to do as we should, but that doesn't always rhyme with doin' what feels good"

[quote="micah ormane"]I'm dedicated? I just take your spells away then abandon you!

Muah ha ha! RP that, bitch![/quote]
Dengar
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by Dengar »

Dengar always runs, unless he is not. I think I agree with Jeskee... if I am pressed for time, I will run alot more of the time...

After all, I'm the Meatshield :lol:

Amash... depends really where he is

Siva and Enbla are on Vacation
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

In a party I try to walk but it normaly ends in running. When alone Morgan runs from monster to monster. Grovel tends to run untill he is ina dangerous place, then he sneaks.

Oddly enough my Hades character walks most places (unless he has some spells going).

Mainly it depends on my mood when Im playing the character. I would run more than I walk.
Grovel puts the P in swimming pool.
Small in stature, large in power, narrow of focus and wide of vision
My play/DM times: [url]http://www.ysgard.org/viewtopic.php?highlight=play&t=7671[/url]
charlierazor
Knight of the Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by charlierazor »

Celawyn never runs as he spends all his time in the shadows. Lom runs all the time, as generally speaking it's good form to keep his pack in shape, and usually is in a hurry to get to the hunt. They always seems hungry. Hehe.

Charlie
CaraKeltry
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by CaraKeltry »

Cara runs and walks it depends on what mood i'm in. usually when she's with people she'll walk. When she does run she usually changes out of her armor and into some kind of "running" clothes.
Coco1
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Coco1 »

I must admit Dala always run when she is alone. Being alone on and off on the server and RP with herself most of the day (daytime, to me that is) can be quite boring, ill admit.
If she is in party it will depend on who she is with - if they prefer to walk, then we walk and if its someone who tends to run, then we run. I like both, but if im in a party, i prefer to walk, because i would like to RP at the same time....and typing (RP'ing) and running can be quite diffecult for me :) .

Dala
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Post by Psye Shaar »

Since I posted this, I suppose I should reply too...

With Tris, I have to admit he tends to use DD a lot when travelling alone. If there's a large gap or a bank/hill/cliff then I'll tend to just jump him to the next convenient point.

90% of the time with my other PC's though, they'll only run if they're with a group that's doing so and even then, quite often under duress.
When alone, they walk most of the time, although this is of course more so in less hostile areas where buffs lasting out isn't quite such a requirement :shock:
zephyrruzon
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by zephyrruzon »

I walk until my finger gets tired of pressing the walk button, damn you keen sense, DAMN YOU!

I sneak a lot with Garret though.
Days Awake
Resident DM Griefer

Post by Days Awake »

Why run when you can just teleport? :P
Sex is like a box of chocolates, sometimes your fingers get sticky! >=) -

Jskee:Jeezus, you're cuddly as a porcupine sometimes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcBc9iwPN50&feature=related
Last Chancellor
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Last Chancellor »

Personally I walk as appropriate, by the strictures of common sense.

For the sake of expediency, when there are no players around and no DMs interacting with me I just run. As I have often said, I roleplay for an audience. If no one is there, then I don't waste time typing or walking slowly. For me it is that simple and it's just common sense. When we play it's chiefly for the sake of interacting with others and weaving the grand tapestry of a story. I only contribute to that if I have a fellow weaver at my side in some capacity, otherwise it's like singing Ave Maria in a dead forest. There's no point if no one is there to be pleasured by the experience.

Long story short, as long as I *know* someone is around I'll roleplay moving around at a normal speed to the hilt, otherwise no. In parties I prefer walking, to be sure. ;-)

~This has been another dose of spiky Chancellorial love.
I joined CoPaP and all I got was this lousy signature.
Dengar
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by Dengar »

Maybe you should... they are always watching!