The Circel of knowledge

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

Asbendale
Knight of the Holy Church of Big Mouths

The Circel of knowledge

Post by Asbendale »

Just wanted to give you all some info about the guild and ask your oppion about a few things.....please only charters that want to join the guild respond to this post...since we dont have our own forum yet.

As you most of you know we desided to go ahead with the guild and make one, however some questions remains before i can give the DMs a final answer.

If you all go and look under rulings and about guild creation, theres a few things we need to get in place, things such as if we want to be DM sponcered or a player guild, also the part about aligments caught my eye, since we might have a problem there. My idea for the guild was to make a guild for all mages and clerics and of any aligment. I planned of bulding it a bit up like the mage Counsil in the World of Krynn where all mages are sorted by aligment, so you have Withe robes (LG,NG,CG), Red robes(LN,TN,CN) and Black robes(LE,NE,CE) or Made in to Lawful, Neutral and Chaotic. Each fraction has one leader...and 1 grand mage will be in the head of the 3 orders....how we wil runn the clerics will be in much the same way...depending on how many that joins. Now i had hoped to have some sort of knight kode that we dont fight inside the tower..and uses it as a safe Zone, apart from that each fraction can fight as much they want....That would also make politics come in to the picture since we all have to deside in wich direction the guild is heading.

So please come with your comments to this quickly so we can get it on its way.

Asbendale Silverblade
Arkon
World Leader

Post by Arkon »

I'll chime in here on this one.

With the idea of a mage system as you indicated, it could work.

However, I would recommend against trying to make a guild that forments "all casters" (IE Mages and Clerics).

It is two different types of magic, arcane vs divine. There is also the problem of different religions in those clerics. Do you really think a Cleric of Thor would take orders from a Cleric of Loki? Or vice versa? Or that they'd even be able to work together very well?. There is also the fundamental fact that clerics and mages have often times been at odds with each other over the types and focus of their magic. A clerics magic is god given, due to their faith in the diety. A mage's magic is based on the self. This itself is a cause of desention amongst casters as many clerics would see a mage's complete belief in self as wrong.

I think if you are wanting to make a mage guild, make a mage guild. If you are wanting to make a council of clerics, make a council of clerics. But I would avoid making one that is meant to encompass them all.

If you want to continue with the global idea of it, then by all means, put in the request and such. But it will go through a lot easier and be a much more believable guild if it were seperated.
Respect is Earned! Fear is Demanded!
NWDuneAuron
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by NWDuneAuron »

A big theme of Hala is divine vs arcane, if noone had noticed.
Jskee
Dead man walking...

Post by Jskee »

NWDuneAuron wrote:A big theme of Hala is divine vs arcane, if noone had noticed.
I thought it was "everyone hate the rogues". :P

I think due to Hala's small playerbase, in order to have a ~functional~ guild it's going to take some "outside of the box" thinking. I like the idea of a guild/committee/governing body that is composed of pc's from all walks, origins and alignments. The rp opportunities are tremendous. Realistically, as demonstrated by the Defenders and Celestial Order (not being negative here) Hala does not have the playerbase to sustain any functional guild that is not open to many different alignments and classes. Just my .02.
Arkon
World Leader

Post by Arkon »

Having, as was suggested, a "council of mages" that encompasses all alignmets is not at question. I'm fine with that idea though it will be watched strongly for Alignment confromity by the various members.

It's the idea of a single guild of "casters" which encompasses both Divine and Arcane casting methods. Yes they both cast spells. But aside from that one common theme, they have nothing in common :) Thus my advice above.
albonia

Post by albonia »

Well you could maybe include bards in the guild they do use arcane magic after all. And you could argue they have more in commom with a mage than a cleric does.
A quote from a mage, without my magic I am just an Elf in a bathrobe.
Arkon
World Leader

Post by Arkon »

Bards could be acceptable, though i'd see a Bards guild as being better for that since first and foremost, bards are storytellers. I could see a guild of bards of all different alignments that come together to share their stories and refine their trade.

Or a guild of travelling bards who go around to various cities and give performances, etc.
Aquilifer
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by Aquilifer »

One nice thing about bards is that they do have an alignment restriction. As a result, at least you don't have the lawful bards causing a problem. :D
"To change your mind and to follow him who sets you right is to be nonetheless the free agent that you were before."

Marcus Aurelius
Asbendale

Post by Asbendale »

The idea with having the clerics is, that many clerics have come to Asbendale and asked to be in the guild....bouth to learn to fight agenst mages but also to find wayes to combine Archane and Devine magic, Also the mage battels will requre clerics to be present since we are planning to let charters fight agenst each other...to bouth test their spells and to learn to work better together in battels. That is the reason we chose the name.."The Circel of Knowledge" for it. Mainly the guild will be split in Archane and Devine...The mages wil have an aligment based guild and the clerics will have their own guild...but under same roof....so all in all its two guilds.

As for the gods dont want to support diffrent campains...well the clerics DONT have to join what ever crusaide we are on, but they will still have a place in the guild. There will ofcorse be some tension between em...but that just adds to the rp. Also remember the purpose for the guild is to grather knowledge, rangeing from spells...to studing creatures, to enchant items and so on.

Also with the new update to the game where we cant see what effects the creature have on, alone there i see a lot of studing for the guild to do, and hopefully...we can be allowes to make books where diffrent players descripe the creatures and what works on em and what dont...:).

Asbendale
albonia

Post by albonia »

Arkon wrote:Bards could be acceptable, though i'd see a Bards guild as being better for that since first and foremost, bards are storytellers. I could see a guild of bards of all different alignments that come together to share their stories and refine their trade.

Or a guild of travelling bards who go around to various cities and give performances, etc.
The idea of a Bards guild would be a good one but i doubt there are more than 3 or 4 Bards on Hala at the moment. And there would not be enough to make up a guild.
A quote from a mage, without my magic I am just an Elf in a bathrobe.
obburner
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by obburner »

i like what everyone said.. Arkon i am in agreement that there is differences between clerics and mages but i offered my clerical support to aid the mages .. and as asbendale explained i would like to know the best way to handle one of those finger wagglers .. I will try and form a clerical guild if needed but with the limited players recently that may pose challenging.
I like the Alignment groups.. it only makes sense.
Lord Droke

Post by Lord Droke »

I love the idea of a mage guild of this sort! The RP possibillities are so great I would seriously consider makeing a mage character just to join in on it. As someone who plays a cleric I dont think clerics should be part of it, clerics in a way, already have there own little guilds, baically there faiths/churches, and there are so many I just dont see a cleric guild working either. This doesn't mean I dont think that clerics of certain faiths shouldnt be able to work with the mage guild at all. For example Elly, Obburners char could work regularly with the group of like alignment, even be involved in certain guild events and meetings, but she could never be a true member of the trust, since she already has one, her deity. I also think bard chars should work with rogue chars to form a theives guild. I've alway thought of bards as storytelling rogues with some spell abillity.
"Professional assasination is the highest form of public service" - Chiun, Master of Sinanju
Jskee
Dead man walking...

Post by Jskee »

Lord Droke wrote:..I also think bard chars should work with rogue chars to form a theives guild. I've alway thought of bards as storytelling rogues with some spell abillity...
All rogues aren't thieves, and adding Bards to their group is a stretch.
Lord Droke

Post by Lord Droke »

True, true. Poor bards no wonder there music so bluesey :)
"Professional assasination is the highest form of public service" - Chiun, Master of Sinanju
madmiketx
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

like the Idea

Post by madmiketx »

Asben i would like to join the guild are you still planing on have rooms for rent in the guild hall

Celor

ps where have you been
Asbendale

Post by Asbendale »

Great Celor i have you added to the list of future members.......as for where i been, well out working for the last week and there is still one week to i get back home...but then ill be on to haunt you all..:)´

Asbendale Silverblade
Asbendale

Post by Asbendale »

Well i think we more or less all is in agreement that it will be a mage guild...only for mages, however the guild will still need clerics to support em, so clerics will be invited to help the guild, but not as members......sorry all but this is more or less what i read in the posts. As for bards...well they can be in the guild, but they wont be in the counsil.

Now to another thing that is in need of an desission aswell: Foundings
To grather a surce of income to the guild, we have talked about to make a crafting hall, where members OF THE CRAFTING HALL, pay a one time fee to join at 1000gp and after that donate 10% of all crafted items to the guild, for the guild to use how it see fit.

Also rooms will be made for players to rent...what the price will be i dont know yet but i will figure that out soon.

Any feedback on this area?

Asbendale Silverblade
Arkon
World Leader

Post by Arkon »

Crafting halls will be placed (added) Throughout Hala. These will be DM controlled and ran for the time being due to the new crafting system so we can regulate what recipes make it out when. You all are welcome to add a crafting area into your guild hall if you want. But just figured you'd want to know this stuff.

BTW. From now on, please keep all things concerning this guild developement IC unless you have questions about it that DMs need to answer.

This guild is becoming an OOC developement. If this continues I will tank the idea. If you want to build a guild, then find out who's interested ICly and develope it ICly. Stop using our General Discussion OOC boards to perform IC actions.

This is the only warning for this. Any more OOC planning to develope IC guilds in a way such as this will result in the idea being shot down by the team.

ALL IN GAME DEVELOPEMENTS MUST BE DEVELOPED IN GAME. NOT THROUGH THE OOC BOARDS

This has been a reminder from your friendly neighborhood Head DM.