What to expect

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

Dengar
Squire: Church of Pants

What to expect

Post by Dengar »

I will ask all the people I know, to put in thier info about what to expect from Hala, and please, don't spoil any quests or ideas for xp.
Is the world Harsh? Is it just "ok"

Is there room for an epic character?
Am I going to go up fast in Levels with ease?

This can truely downplay the amount of Characters making a charcter just to come here for a few hours, actually have to rp something, and leave.

You can say, this is an RP server, but there is only so much you can do to make that a reality.

One would be cutting down on the players, through means of truely explaining the server...

I haven't been playing, because I have plans that involve people, who are not on as much as I. So I will wait till I can have the time with them to work on building this character, and not just by gaining a level.
Why do they call him Boris the bullet dodger?

Because he dodges bulltes Avi!
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

huh?
Grovel puts the P in swimming pool.
Small in stature, large in power, narrow of focus and wide of vision
My play/DM times: [url]http://www.ysgard.org/viewtopic.php?highlight=play&t=7671[/url]
Druid523
Wiki Pioneer

Post by Druid523 »

Bee, is this another drunken post? :roll:
Daecon
Knight of the Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Daecon »

From Hala, I expect non coherent posts. My dreams have been fulfilled :lol: :P
Deathshard
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Deathshard »

*examines bees' head* Hmmm.... This lump always been here?
p0m
Major DM

Post by p0m »

Daecon wrote:From Hala, I expect non coherent posts. My dreams have been fulfilled :lol: :P
Don't those usually come from Imp? :?:
Lir'ana
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Lir'ana »

Ok new rule. Dengar can't drink while playing OR posting
[b]"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."[/b] - [i]General MacArthur [/i]
ace4lyyfe
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Re: What to expect

Post by ace4lyyfe »

Beer comes smashing in for a good two points!

Hala responds with nothing!

Beer: 2

Hala: 0
Druid523
Wiki Pioneer

Post by Druid523 »

Hahahahaha :P (@ ace4lyyfe)
Lord Droke
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Lord Droke »

uh bee.....I've been on just about nightly
"Professional assasination is the highest form of public service" - Chiun, Master of Sinanju
Dengar

Post by Dengar »

**Slaps self upside his head**

Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

Uh. After reading his post a hundred times. I think I kind of know what he may have meant to kind of ask.

Personally, when I log in to Hala, I expect to be able to have fun, in the end, That's all I want.

Sure sometimes I log in to Hunt, I play alone, and Hala is great, All my characters ahve personalities and lifestyles to correlate, Ever notice how I don't play any non-combative PC's? I don't have any pure crafters or merchants. Why? because it's not fun for me.

Sometimes I log in purely because I see someone is online, I chase them down, and RP at them until they cry.

Usually it's a mixture of both.

All in all, what I expect from Hala, is to be able to have fun, and for all -ALL- communication to be open about it. (DM's Pc's, etc.) Sometimes a quick tell is all that really needs. I think it was LP? maybe P0M? I was on a while back, I think as Hawk, and someone started spawning things for me, I sent off a tell with my character's reaction in the DM channel, and something to the effect of "I'd prefer some conversation" and instant gratification.

.. Wait, Was it Hawk? or Urkny... Damn. I think it was Urkny, and Arkon, hell it doesn't matter.

Point is, Fun can be had for most, to a degree, rules regulate, and communication will help us all come to terms. So I guess that's what I would expect from Hala.

As for the rest of Dengar's post, I have two words.

"Alcoholic's Anonymous"
[i]I live yet do not live in me,
am waiting as my life goes by,
and die because I do not die.
- St John of the Cross.[/i]

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=User:Xanthalas][size=75]WIKI INFO[/size][/url]
Idonia
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by Idonia »

p0m wrote:
Daecon wrote:From Hala, I expect non coherent posts. My dreams have been fulfilled :lol: :P
Don't those usually come from Imp? :?:

HEY! :x

I'm finally famous! 8D
[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Lily]Lily[/url]
madmiketx
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

i think

Post by madmiketx »

what i think what he wants

i joined hala because i was looking for a server where i did not have to put up with just anyone could log on and just miss things up
where i could meet some on-line friends that i would look forward to see when playing my character

Madmiketx
Celor
Rico
pellease

Post by pellease »

Honestly I joined because abyss was loosing its player base and I kept seeing 13+ people on Hala. So I logged on hoping to find some more people to rp with. I noticed its a bit more relaxed rp wise. However for as many people that are on, and for as many options as there are to do nothing but xp hunt, I'm rather encouraged that their is plenty of quality rping to be had on the server. As soon as I get a new copy of the game to install on my new computer (lost the old manual :? ) I plan on coming back.
p0m
Major DM

Post by p0m »

pellease wrote:Honestly I joined because abyss was loosing its player base and I kept seeing 13+ people on Hala. So I logged on hoping to find some more people to rp with. I noticed its a bit more relaxed rp wise. However for as many people that are on, and for as many options as there are to do nothing but xp hunt, I'm rather encouraged that their is plenty of quality rping to be had on the server. As soon as I get a new copy of the game to install on my new computer (lost the old manual :? ) I plan on coming back.
If you registered your cdkey with the bioware website you may want to check there to see if you can recover it.
Flash

Post by Flash »

*to the original topic post*

I have personally found Hala as a whole to be very rich in character, and fulfilling to play on. When my main first came here (for the second time) after the portal reopened it was just to explore, but soon after which, he was drawn in and made to feel apart of the world, the players, the team, all make the world what it is. You ask if it is just “ok” it is far better than ok, my beer imbibing friend, it is a wondrous and colourful world, were you get out, what you put in, and then some.
T'Holoth Shadowborn

Post by T'Holoth Shadowborn »

I'll side bar a little
Ultimately it's a balance. I firmly believe that the more powerful your character becomes level/stat wise the more a chance arises that you loose interest in the game. The challange is taken away and you're constantly finding yourself looking for more and more challanging areas to travel. If you go up too fast in levels, which I did with one of my characters, you find that yes you can kick ass and take names, BUT, your character has ZERO personality (and likely not much gear either).

Some people will choose to remain at lower levels and REALLY develop their characters role playing and personality. I lack that level of RP personally but I have seen others in Hala who fit that bill and it's just awesome playing with them. Their characters are something right out of a book. As I said, it's balance that comes down to each and every individual player. Are you leaning towards making a strong and deadly character, or a powerful one. A level 10 character can be quite powerful in terms of influence and social placement.

On the dark side of the moon are players who race to become as strong and deadly as possible as fast as possible. I think this gives them an ego boost. A feeling that 'ya no one will fuck with me now' and they can easily use that physical strength to frce their will or role playing on others.
Imagine a level 40 character sitting around a fire insulting someones mother and challanging characters less than half his or her level to a fight knowing full well no one can beat him or her. Not very fair.

When one races to that stage I think sooner or later they start to realise their mistake and find playing gives them an empty feeling. People natually shy away from them (save other players trying to emulate them) and they find no one wants to RP with them which in turns leads them to try and force others to either entertain them or force them to give themselves a chance to try and RP their character and give it a personality, which they may have lacked on their race to the top.

NWN if anything to me is a giant social experiment mixed with a constant fight against ones ego.

As far as Hala goes I've found that it's always been a rough place. Difficult monster spawn areas, DMs that (rightly) arent afraid of DPing characters, especially when they are in an area over their head. I've heard it been called an epic server and I don't disagree with that statement. What I like about hala is that I can easily choose between sitting around a fire and having great RPing with a fairly large but close plyer base or in 4 minutes of running find myself over my head in a difficult dungeon,grinding away XP points.

Wow what a ramble :)
[i]Blessed is the mind too small for doubt[/i]
Though I walk through the vally in the shadows of daemons, I shall fear nothing. For I am what the daemon fears.
Dengar

Post by Dengar »

Surprisingly enough, even though I was drunk, and somewhat typed the most backasswards statement, most of you got it.

I'm sober so far today!

Stay thirsty my friends.

Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

T'Holoth Shadowborn wrote:I'll side bar a little
Ultimately it's a balance. I firmly believe that the more powerful your character becomes level/stat wise the more a chance arises that you loose interest in the game. The challange is taken away and you're constantly finding yourself looking for more and more challanging areas to travel. If you go up too fast in levels, which I did with one of my characters, you find that yes you can kick ass and take names, BUT, your character has ZERO personality (and likely not much gear either).

Some people will choose to remain at lower levels and REALLY develop their characters role playing and personality. I lack that level of RP personally but I have seen others in Hala who fit that bill and it's just awesome playing with them. Their characters are something right out of a book. As I said, it's balance that comes down to each and every individual player. Are you leaning towards making a strong and deadly character, or a powerful one. A level 10 character can be quite powerful in terms of influence and social placement.

On the dark side of the moon are players who race to become as strong and deadly as possible as fast as possible. I think this gives them an ego boost. A feeling that 'ya no one will fuck with me now' and they can easily use that physical strength to frce their will or role playing on others.
Imagine a level 40 character sitting around a fire insulting someones mother and challanging characters less than half his or her level to a fight knowing full well no one can beat him or her. Not very fair.

When one races to that stage I think sooner or later they start to realise their mistake and find playing gives them an empty feeling. People natually shy away from them (save other players trying to emulate them) and they find no one wants to RP with them which in turns leads them to try and force others to either entertain them or force them to give themselves a chance to try and RP their character and give it a personality, which they may have lacked on their race to the top.

NWN if anything to me is a giant social experiment mixed with a constant fight against ones ego.

As far as Hala goes I've found that it's always been a rough place. Difficult monster spawn areas, DMs that (rightly) arent afraid of DPing characters, especially when they are in an area over their head. I've heard it been called an epic server and I don't disagree with that statement. What I like about hala is that I can easily choose between sitting around a fire and having great RPing with a fairly large but close plyer base or in 4 minutes of running find myself over my head in a difficult dungeon,grinding away XP points.

Wow what a ramble :)
I have to agree whole heartedly. Though I have yet to ever have a character that is too powerful here. Maybe it's myu builds, Maybe it's my style. Yeah Ryk is pretty scary, but only when I'm out for it. Suprise me. and I'm about as strong as a level 3 bard, who spent all his spells on entertaining a rock. Heh. Don't know about the rest of you. But I've loved every bit. The current DM's treat me extremely well, Every last one of them, even though they all have very very different styles.

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=User:Xanthalas][size=75]WIKI INFO[/size][/url]
Trinity
Veteran DM

Post by Trinity »

Give Dengar a break people!
he has become one hell of a role player since his days of old!
*Cheers Dengar on!*
Idonia

Post by Idonia »

Hey cool Trinity, your avatar's a movin' gif now! :D
[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Lily]Lily[/url]
Dengar

Post by Dengar »

I am Drunk, but not blasted...

My original post was meant to explain to new players, in a way, what Hala, a RP serever, and the people are all about.

For instance, you could say drow are hated, Celestials have wings... (I know that is not the case, but, you get what I mean.)

I do make a lot of posts when I'm drunk, but, what good would I be online, unless I was playing a drunken character?

I'm old enough to imbibe alcohol, but not smart enough to make a post coherent.

I was think, us, as players, could give a description of Hala, from our own eyes, without ruing any IG, or IC experience.

Guess I should've waited!

:P

Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

Dengar wrote:I am Drunk, but not blasted...

My original post was meant to explain to new players, in a way, what Hala, a RP serever, and the people are all about.

For instance, you could say drow are hated, Celestials have wings... (I know that is not the case, but, you get what I mean.)

I do make a lot of posts when I'm drunk, but, what good would I be online, unless I was playing a drunken character?

I'm old enough to imbibe alcohol, but not smart enough to make a post coherent.

I was think, us, as players, could give a description of Hala, from our own eyes, without ruing any IG, or IC experience.

Guess I should've waited!

:P
Sounds a bit like an excuse, as for being smart enough. Well, perhaps it's patient, I'll disagree with you on you not being smart enough. As for people getting to understand Hala, I think it's best to let them log in. It's been my experience that different people have different expectations, and results, as a manner of what they expected. Trying to make it cookie cutter, will undoubtedly fail, or bring about misgivings.

T'Holoth Shadowborn

Post by T'Holoth Shadowborn »

In Vino Veratis;

In wine there is truth :)
[i]Blessed is the mind too small for doubt[/i]
Though I walk through the vally in the shadows of daemons, I shall fear nothing. For I am what the daemon fears.