Deleveling

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

JD Smith
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Deleveling

Post by JD Smith »

I think this is the right area to ask this. At least seems the best fo the topic classifications I saw.

Being rather new here; something happend to my character yesterday; and I was wondering if that is the way it is supposed to work.

While traveling with 1 other person; my character got killed and sent to the DP. The other person had no way to raise my character; so I talked to the wraith to leave. I then took the xp penalty of 265 points; which put me 4 points under the needed xp for the level I was at. I lost the level and then I lost an additional 260 xp. I only took a 1 time gold loss penalty (but I forget how much that was).

Is this the way that the xp penalty is supposed to work?
princessofjustice
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by princessofjustice »

When you die at a certain level yes.. it takes xp points and gold
badjabadjabadja
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by badjabadjabadja »

Um.. hang on.. JD ~ are you saying you got hit by an xp penalty TWICE?

In my experience, the Hala DP system takes penalty xp only when you leave the area under your own steam.. ie by talking to the wraith. This has happened a few times when exploring on an empty server.. so nothing else for it than to take the hit & walk back.. (lost over 10k xp that way.. owie!) BUT.. I've only ever been hit with one deduction of gp/xp.. so if it hit you twice perhaps it's a bug resulting from your delevelling experience?

If you have the log &/or screenshots, I'd advise emailing them to the Hala team.
Lir'ana
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Lir'ana »

Hmmm was I under the mistaken impression that the xp loss would not drop you a lvl? I thought that if you leave as stated under your own steam after 6th lvl you get the penalty but I thought it at most should only drop you to the min for your lvl?
[b]"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."[/b] - [i]General MacArthur [/i]
Lord Droke
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Lord Droke »

I have died just after leveling and have just been brought down to what I needed for that lvl. So sounds like you got hit with a bug.
"Professional assasination is the highest form of public service" - Chiun, Master of Sinanju
JD Smith

Post by JD Smith »

Yes bagja3x; I took a 265 xp loss and then a 260 xp loss. But the gold penalty was incurred only one time.

As for the suggestion of sending in a log or screenshot : I used to be able to take screen shots; but no longer. Either I can't take them any longer or they are getting filed someplace that I can't find them. And the log only records the player chat. Not the server messages; or combat numbers or any yellow text messages; just character chat. :(
albonia

Post by albonia »

I have defiantly died and lost a level as a result of doing that. But the penalty of experience and gold loss was only applied once. The formula for how much experience and gold you loose depends on your character level. But i have no idea what that formula is.

So its hard to say what you would expect to loose when a character dies and is not raised.
A quote from a mage, without my magic I am just an Elf in a bathrobe.
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Post by Psye Shaar »

You shouldn't be able to lose a level from the xp loss upon DP'ing, so that's a bug in itself and we'll look into it.

As for the double loss of xp, that's not something i'm personally aware of occuring previously, but something we'll keep an eye out for.

JD Smith: If you drop a comment into the DM channel when you're on, if someone's on, they will reimberse you the additional lost xp.
[i]"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction." [/i]
Blaise Pascal (1623 - 1662)
JD Smith

Post by JD Smith »

Ok - thanks.

I really wasn't too concerned with losing the 260 xp; that is a relativley small amount. I was more wondering about possibility if this happening later; at higher levels. As badja3x used the example of lossing 10k xp (i'm sure rounded numbers used). If this were to happen then; then losing an additional 10k would really kinda suck.

But thanks again.
Dengar
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by Dengar »

As far as I've been dying, through my many experiences... XP loss always will happen, it gets greater as your level increases. Gold as well.

If you lost twice the amount that's a bug. You said you lost 265. but did you really lose 530? If so, that is a bug.

You will lose xp after a certain level, and lose more each level... which, in this world of Hala, makes sense, and keeps the DP between characters lower.

My only suggestion, Stay out of places you should not be. You wont die.

Bee

((sorry if it sounds ignorant, not my intention.))
Why do they call him Boris the bullet dodger?

Because he dodges bulltes Avi!
Trinity
Veteran DM

Post by Trinity »

This is just another way to try to prevent soloing a pc in places they shouldnt be,if your pc isnt able to kill a spawn by his/herself alone in a dungeon,they shouldnt be there alone.
badjabadjabadja

Post by badjabadjabadja »

I think the Hala DP system is great in the way it encourages partying up in dangerous places! The times i've lost XP was for various reasons.. and was about 2500 - 3500 each time.. but thats at a very high PC lvl.

1. Walked into a cave.. a spider turned me to stone :shock:
2. I knew these certain mages cast nasty spells.. I thought I had the right defence against it.. wrong! :roll:
3. Right defence this time.. damn mage cast a different spell.. gah! :(
4. The beasties was all dead.. I could rest just round the corner.. Aaaargh! *is back-stabbed by a sneaky beasty hiding in a hollow* oh... pants! :roll:

Yup.. I was curious/less than cautious, (the last one was just silly!) & I learned from the mistakes.

I think you was doing the right thing JD (partying with someone) just.. perhaps a 'better prepared someone' would have helped! Save some gold & buy a raise scroll.. then should you get DP'd next time at least the person you are with can use the scroll from your body to raise you.

As for the logging.. there are some chat parser logging programs out there .. but to enable the logging check the nwnplayer.ini

ClientChatLogging = 1
ClientEntireChatWindowLogging=0

I think that setting logs the chat window.. changing the second entry to a ~1~ will log the combat window too. Umm.. i think perhaps you needs to change first entry to a ~0~ then?
ghostgurl

Post by ghostgurl »

I just died the other day adn Deleveled I lost twice but I do not think it is a bug.. I cannot remember how much.. The Story is I just leveled and then dp'd I lost like 46xp then like 1200 or so.. but it was a small number then a big number.. I think the small number is the XP loss from my level 22 to 21 ((my new level to my ole one)) Then the proggy cross's the thershold of the levels and shows the res of the penalty amount taken from ((in my case lvl 21)) to complete the loss. And that is my thought! no bug.. Just The transitional xp loss between levels..