Liar!

This is for questions about rules. This is NOT for complaining about rules. It is for clarification purposes

Moderator: Top Team

Rudiki
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Liar!

Post by Rudiki »

I have a character that is an amazingly good liar, and also is amazingly good at telling if someone else is lying. I want this to be reflected in his stats. I know that you use bluff for lying, but what do you use to tell if someone else is lying? Would bluff work for that as well?

Thanks!
13thHour : [Tell] *your alignment has long since passed any possible further move to 'sexy' due to reinventing the scale*

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Lexy]Lexy on the Wiki![/url]
Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

I'd say 'RP' but if I suspect someone is lying, I send a tell and ask if they want me to roll any thing. Since there are difference of opinions regarding opposing rolls.

(Some say CHA, some say WIS, some say INT, some say it depends on the situation.)

Anyways. Along this question. What about opposing rolls for Taunt in an RP setting? (Not using the skillo, since it invokes an attack, perhaps just using the emote-menu to roll a taunt. And let the other person react more realistically.) Also, What about persuade and such?
[i]I live yet do not live in me,
am waiting as my life goes by,
and die because I do not die.
- St John of the Cross.[/i]

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=User:Xanthalas][size=75]WIKI INFO[/size][/url]
Druid523
Wiki Pioneer

Post by Druid523 »

Before we get carried away and never get Rudiki's question answered, what does one roll to oppose someone's Bluff?
LadyPhoenix77
Knight: Church of Pants
Location: Whats the use of have names if you lose all your friends. That's where I'm from.

Post by LadyPhoenix77 »

Unfortunately in NWN, there is no opposed roll for bluff, in PnP it would be sense motive. Doing skill vs stat isn't a real compareable measure either, which the opposed stat would really be Wisdom(the stat sense motive is based on).

Taunt falls under concentration, as it does in combat use.

Persuade it would really depend on the situation, Concentration and Discipline are two that I would lean on the most.

I'll also just note that, while in RP setting with other players(no DM involvement) you can make all the rolls in the world you want, but can't force others into reacting to them in such a way, it's one of those things that is really left for player judgement. For example, one of Xanthalas' characters might persuade one of my characters(with a roll) to give him 1,000 gold for a single passage on the airship, but on the flip side, he could try and persuade me to give him my uber gear all he wants with rolls, but, yeah, not going to happen. Basically, I don't mind seeing rolls as long as they are resonable for all involved, but when it turns to far into forcing something that may not be fun, I don't want to be seeing it, or I don't expect others to go along with it. I know it has all been stated before, and I'm just preaching to the choir, but best for me to say it once again.
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

Since there is no opposed skill in NWN for bluff and persuade I set a DC in my mind, based on how hard I think the action is, and ask the other player to roll a skill check. Example DC:

10: Something an untrained person could do. Telling a small lie to someone who has no reason to doubt you.

15: Threaten Grovel for information.

20: Persuade Grovel to do something for half price.

30: Difficult. Persuade Grovel to do something obviously dangerous. Convincing a Nagritch guard you arnt the same Dread Bandit Robberts, wanted for multiple counts of theft.

45: Almost imposible. Convincing Grovel to hold back a charging Red Dragon 'for just a moment'.
Grovel puts the P in swimming pool.
Small in stature, large in power, narrow of focus and wide of vision
My play/DM times: [url]http://www.ysgard.org/viewtopic.php?highlight=play&t=7671[/url]
Redda
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Redda »

*scratches her head*

I thought you could tell if someone was lying coz their pants were on fire?
Druid523
Wiki Pioneer

Post by Druid523 »

Redda wrote:*scratches her head*

I thought you could tell if someone was lying coz their pants were on fire?
Hahahah. So corny. :P

And I think Zombie's examples are pretty good. I think I might use that as a flexible guideline. :)

Thanks, LP, for the response!
Last edited by Druid523 on Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rudiki
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Rudiki »

If their pants are on fire and they tell you their pants are not on fire then they are lying. :D
13thHour : [Tell] *your alignment has long since passed any possible further move to 'sexy' due to reinventing the scale*

Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

*rolls and gets 48* They are pants of warmth. The flames are just for show, honest.
Grovel puts the P in swimming pool.
Small in stature, large in power, narrow of focus and wide of vision
My play/DM times: [url]http://www.ysgard.org/viewtopic.php?highlight=play&t=7671[/url]
Rudiki
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Rudiki »

"Well, they do look awfully stylish..."