Detecting Shifters

This is for questions about rules. This is NOT for complaining about rules. It is for clarification purposes

Moderator: Top Team

Serenyddion
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Detecting Shifters

Post by Serenyddion »

What are the rules for detecting if a character is a shifter?

And, if if someone detects that a character is a shifter, what are the rules about knowing who they are. That is, if the detecting character knows them in a different form does this help them at all in knowing them in a new form.
Xanthalas
Loremaster

Re: Detecting Shifters

Post by Xanthalas »

Serenyddion wrote:What are the rules for detecting if a character is a shifter?

And, if if someone detects that a character is a shifter, what are the rules about knowing who they are. That is, if the detecting character knows them in a different form does this help them at all in knowing them in a new form.
Long overdue, To be honest.

Another question to add on to this. Is does a shifter appear the same in a singular form always? I wouldn't think so. But I am unfamiliar with the class.

Example. if Bob runs into ShifterTom, and ShifterTom is in the form of a Llama, Can ShifterTom shift into a different looking Llama? Or does the inherent structure of a individual show true regardless of the form? ((IE, ShifterTom ALWAYS looks the same in Llama Form?))
[i]I live yet do not live in me,
am waiting as my life goes by,
and die because I do not die.
- St John of the Cross.[/i]

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=User:Xanthalas][size=75]WIKI INFO[/size][/url]
Gregpooh
Knight: Church of Pants

Post by Gregpooh »

IMHO it would depend on the type of shifter. A changeling, for example, has no trouble taking on different looking Humanoid forms. It seems likely therefore that their non-human forms would be equally as maliable.

I believe that a druidic shifter would be far more likely to retain a specific animal form that is somehow connected to his unique self image. A druid who turns into a bear would likely turn into the same looking bear over and over.

This is just my opinion, of course, and has no connection whatsoever to how the team might rule on such a thing.

Now, to add something to this debate: Ysgardian Silver is damaging to Shifters instead of to the undead. Should a shifter of any type display some discomfort when forced to be in close contact with the metal? Just wondering.
It takes a [b]Viking[/b] to Raze a Village.
Idonia
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by Idonia »

Silver doesn't (shouldn't according to lore) damage undead. Silver has always been damaging to -lycanthropes-, the majority of which are evil and unnatural, and I doubt a druid shifter would be put into the same group.
[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Lily]Lily[/url]
LadyPhoenix77
Knight: Church of Pants
Location: Whats the use of have names if you lose all your friends. That's where I'm from.

Post by LadyPhoenix77 »

I will try to get back to you on this soon. Just want to make sure I have everything straight before saying.
Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

Of course this is all Dependant on the world, but from what I understand. it is my opinion of the following.

Lycanthropy is a disease or curse. The resulting creature is an Abberation. (Unnatural)

Changeling is a racial trait, or race, some call this a mutation as well. regardless, not the same as Lycan's or Shifters.

Shifters are Druids who had taken CONSCIOUS and CONSTANT methods pertaining to the way of life surrounding the purpose of having no one form. Having a philosophy to that very respect. Although not a 'job' persay, it's still a life-pursuit, (much like wizards searching for Arcane knowledge, it's a purposeful choice. Not an accident/side-effect).
[i]I live yet do not live in me,
am waiting as my life goes by,
and die because I do not die.
- St John of the Cross.[/i]

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=User:Xanthalas][size=75]WIKI INFO[/size][/url]