Ressurection and go bags

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

T'Holoth Shadowborn
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Ressurection and go bags

Post by T'Holoth Shadowborn »

I wasn't sure how to present this in character so i'll throw it out OOC.

With Hala getting bigger we find ourselves fighting, and dying, farther and farther away from respawn areas (where we ressurect).

It's great when we have a cleric in the party who can raise dead but if we don't have a cleric we need to rely on raise dead scrolls and what not. If theres no one has any scrolls then sometimes it's a hell of a walk and thats after buying invisibility potions. People have been great i've noticed for using rasie dead/ressurection scrolls on others, or raise dead wands but those things aren't cheap. Not having any scrolls in the party, I watched someone try to run to their corpse about 6 times, dying over and over again along the way. No fun if you ask me.

An idea I had, which isn;t really an idea but maybe a reminder, is for players, when they have the spare funds, to buy a handful of raise dead scrolls. (Don't stash it in a magicbag, just leave them in your paperdoll or whatever)
This way should I be with a party fighting kicking ass and i end up dying, someone can click on my body and without digging through all my junk and having to remember which bag is mine and which is theirs, they will see my raise dead scrolls just sitting there, take them off my body, attempt to raise me and if it works, give me back the remainder of the scrolls I gear up and we carry on. This way I'm taking care of myself so to speak. I don't end up running for 20 minutes and making people wait on me.
I don't mind spending money to help other people but personally I don't like the idea of having to have someone else constantly ressurect me at their own expense. Just makes me feel like a bum :)
[i]Blessed is the mind too small for doubt[/i]
Though I walk through the vally in the shadows of daemons, I shall fear nothing. For I am what the daemon fears.
Anniko
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Re: Ressurection and go bags

Post by Anniko »

T'Holoth Shadowborn wrote:Just makes me feel like a bum :)
You are a bum though, arent you? :P
Arond
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by Arond »

I keep one pinned to the back of my cloak at all times. 'In case of dire emergency, please read over my battered body". :)
Gladenfar

Post by Gladenfar »

I keep one pinned to the back of my cloak at all times. 'In case of dire emergency, please read over my battered body".
Is that right next to your "catch me if you can sign?" :D
*smiles*
Arond

Post by Arond »

Yes, but my sign is a lot smaller than the one on your cloak :wink:
Void Hamlet
Area Builder

Post by Void Hamlet »

You just have no idea how happy you are, with these light death penalties you have. :shock:

What I see here and in Avlis concerning death is quite different from what we have in the Nordock server a fellow and I still torment ourselves to run, and the death rules we have set are close to the standard for the module. That is, when a PC dies, a corpse remains on the ground, and the soul goes to the "Crossroads", or "Fugue plane" - a demiplane in-between the world of the living and the world of the dead. The corpse is carriable by itself, still the items remain in "the soul" at the Crossroads, though unuseable (when you try to use one, you receive a message "These are but memories"). When back amongst the living, the script simply teleports you where the PC corpse is, or at the nearest Temple of Life, and the PC corpse disappears virtually at the same time. Thus the trouble with items to loot from your own corpse is evaded, though in a strange manner.

One is the way to return to the living of Nordock on your own: ask an NPC named "The Guardian" and he returns you to the Temple of Life nearest to the place you fell. If you use the help of The Guardian, however, your abilities and skills are much lowered when you return, and this can be amended with a small donation to the local cleric. As PC level grows, so grows the sum. XP loss in the process is applied after PC level 3 and it 10%.

There are more ways for others to get you out of the Fugue Plane. One is with Wand of Ressurection, other with scroll or spell or Raise Dead, and the third is what we call True Ressurection. Each of them leads to experience and GP loss : greatest loss when raised with a wand (15% XP and 15% GP), lesser when with Raise Dead spell/scroll (6% XP and still 15% GP) and only a minor experience loss (2%) and no GP loss with True Ressurect. True Ressurect is a ritual that can be conducted through any cleric in the Temples of Life, you only need to point out the name for he knows the names of everyone in the Fugue Plane, and depart with 50,000 GP. A PC cleric can also do this, after he or she reaches level 17, and needs for it a Balm of True Ressurection which costs 7,000 GP.

Imagine the mafia that the Nordock clerichood is and while cursing and picking your items after returning to the living in Ysgard, thank your gods it comes almost for free. :twisted:
Last edited by Void Hamlet on Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, and you have to make fortitude saves, you know it's a druid. -Cap'n Charlie
Gladenfar

Post by Gladenfar »

Yes, but my sign is a lot smaller than the one on your cloak
True :D
*smiles*
hewhorocks

Post by hewhorocks »

Are corpses recognizable and if so for how long?

Example: if I see a corpse on hala will I recognise it as belounging to who it beloungs to if I encounter that individual again? Especially when it is less than an hour apart (ic time) from seeing the body?

To be more specific my pc came across a corpse looked at it enough to recognise it again and grabbed the beloungings from it with the idea to return them to the owner which I saw miniutes later. Seeing his familiar as an abberation I turned invisible (I'm a goodie) and offered up the beloungings in a barter screen with a short phrase such as "your items"
The other player sent me a tell expressing a desire to rp it out (in truth I thought my invisibility when seeing the eyeball was good enough and that I would easily recognise someone's twin if I had just saw their corpse) And he was quite perturbed at my inability to come up with a plausable explanation.

In anycase This is the big pink elephant in COPAP and while it has been addressed in avlis (though not standarized) I have not seen it addressed definitivly here (Yes I did try a search and came upon this thread) Maybe this could be something that could be standardized across all servers as how ic the corpse thing is handled....(I.E. is it just a pile of stuff or is It the body or remains etc. Also if we are saying the corpses are anonomous perhaps we could get the name part of the corpse removed from it's item name? Ie instead of john's corpse it just being a corpse. Questions... comments... Ideas?

Thanks.
KenLie

Post by KenLie »

It's body alright... spiders don't eat belongings, they are not crunchy, they are yacky.. :twisted:
albonia
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by albonia »

When i was you and at school (too long ago :( ) we had our name and class sewn in our clothes. So we could be found and returned if we got lost.

Maybe our characters do the same on Hala and that how we know who they are.
Nietzche
Minor DM

Post by Nietzche »

On Hala, we do it with little signs with our names on attached to the top of our heads. Someone must have thought it would be a good idea.

Oh, hi everyone
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
- Oscar Wilde
e'Kieron
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by e'Kieron »

Nietzche!
"Every night has a day, even forever has to end... Sometimes." -Magus, Chronotrigger