Illithids!

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

ApproachingWinter
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by ApproachingWinter »

And I trump your Illithid with a slave revolt.

Booyah!
“Divine being creates petting zoo. It gets out of hand.”
- The Bible (summarised by John W. Mangrum)

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.
Edgar Allan Poe (1809 - 1849), "Eleonora"

Characters: Kal Shadowhand, Streea Arisa.
symlink
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by symlink »

Xanthalas wrote:Cthulu originated in 1928. Illithid were probably thought up, (And likely influenced by Mr. Lovecraft) some time in the sixties or seventies.
Yeah, but most of the creatures in D&D were based upon some mythology or folklore... just wondering if perhaps Mr. Lovecraft based the appearance of Mr. thulhu on something else?
Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

symlink wrote:
Xanthalas wrote:Cthulu originated in 1928. Illithid were probably thought up, (And likely influenced by Mr. Lovecraft) some time in the sixties or seventies.
Yeah, but most of the creatures in D&D were based upon some mythology or folklore... just wondering if perhaps Mr. Lovecraft based the appearance of Mr. thulhu on something else?
Likely.

Though largely unfounded, there are instances of "lore" from ancient civilization that has similar creatures. Probably either akin to coastal stories, or ties to tropical tribal nations. I'll have to see if I have the little information I have on them says anything. :D
[i]I live yet do not live in me,
am waiting as my life goes by,
and die because I do not die.
- St John of the Cross.[/i]

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=User:Xanthalas][size=75]WIKI INFO[/size][/url]
Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

http://www.yog-sothoth.com/wiki/index.php/Cthulhu

That site mentions a reference to Cthulu existing in a 1980 source of D&D, So the Illithid resemblance may have been fluke, or unintentional. In either case, A Babylonian or Assyrian belief mentions Kulullu, Apparently a type of "Fish-Men" with similar appearance to our squid like friends.

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=User:Xanthalas][size=75]WIKI INFO[/size][/url]
DorianHawkwind

Post by DorianHawkwind »

Then again, perhaps....Mr. Lovecraft got his information from the Necronomicon...written by the Mad Arab himself. 8)

Perhaps the illithid are a primordial idea of his based upon ocean squid or octopi?

Clearly his early 20th century writings pre-date most of the D&D information. Although, in all fairness...his writings of the "unspeakable" creatures of Yog-Soggoth and Cthuhlu are similar in nature the 40K gods of Chaos...not the "mind-flayers". Cthuhlu was a chaos creature of such immense power and magnitude that the very sight of it was enough to make mortal men into gibbering idiots. Read the "Case of Dexter Ward" or the "Dunwich Horror" to gain a little insight as to what the Cthuhlu mythos is really about.

At least that's my 2 cents.

~D
Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

For those of you who do not know. Abdullah Alḥaẓred (عبدالله الحظرد) Or the "Mad Arab", was a pseudonym created by Lovecraft, Used to write "The History of the Necronomicon." (Necronomicon being a different book, also attributed to For those of you who do not know. Abdullah Alḥaẓred (عبدالله الحظرد) Or the Mad Arab, was a pseudonym created by Lovecraft, Used to write "The History of the Necronomicon" In 1927. Still being the same source of Cthulu, unsure if he was inspired by other works or not. He does mention Cthulu, from what I recall, the book itself actually details an Arabian, (Abdul) Going to Babylon and finding some ruins. Though as a work of Fiction, some would argue coincidence or inspiration. Some believe perhaps it was meant for autobiographical perception. In either case, the name Abdullah Alḥaẓred (عبدالله الحظرد) is not truly an Arabic name. However Lovecraft had an ancestor named Hazred. Though wordplay and linguistic allusion could be at work..) In 1927. Still being the same source of Cthulu, unsure if he was inspired by other works or not. He does mention Cthulu, from what I recall, the book itself actually details an Arabian, (Abdul) Going to Babylon and finding some ruins. Though as a work of Fiction, some would argue coincidence or inspiration. Some believe perhaps it was meant for autobiographical perception. In either case, the name Abdullah Alḥaẓred (عبدالله الحظرد) is not truly an Arabic name. However Lovecraft had an ancestor named Hazred. Though wordplay and linguistic allusion could be at work.

silverdragonams
Head DM

Post by silverdragonams »

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illithid
Mind flayers were created by Gary Gygax, who has said that one of his inspirations for them was the cover painting of the book The Burrowers Beneath by Brian Lumley.[3] Illithids first appeared in the official newsletter of TSR Games, The Strategic Review #1, Spring 1975.[4]
Apparently Brian Lumly's books were often based on the Cthulhu Mythos. As for where Cthulhu came from, it was probably inspired by many sources.

Edit:
Cthulhu Mythos scholar Robert M. Price, in his introduction to The Cthulhu Cycle, points to Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem "The Kraken" as a major inspiration for Lovecraft's story
So there ya go
Love that Wikipedia
Characters:
[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=Sarakin_Fyne]Sarakin Fyne[/url]

www.anotherworlddesign.etsy.com
Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

The Kraken has roots from Norway, and theoretical ties also to some writings of scientific nature. (Classification of animals, ) Including Bishop Pontoppidan's writings. Which bear a resemblances to the Leviathan. Which is mentioned in Rabinical and Hebrew Writings, (Such as Job) Also is mentioned in the Talmud. Though conversely, The Leviathan is either Mammalian or Serpentine. Modern Hebrew uses the term in regards to Whales.

Druid523
Wiki Pioneer

Post by Druid523 »

DorianHawkwind wrote:Although, in all fairness...his writings of the "unspeakable" creatures of Yog-Soggoth and Cthuhlu are similar in nature the 40K gods of Chaos...not the "mind-flayers". Cthuhlu was a chaos creature of such immense power and magnitude that the very sight of it was enough to make mortal men into gibbering idiots.
Kinda like how the mind flayers turn men into gibbering idiots? :wink:
Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

Druid523 wrote:
DorianHawkwind wrote:Although, in all fairness...his writings of the "unspeakable" creatures of Yog-Soggoth and Cthuhlu are similar in nature the 40K gods of Chaos...not the "mind-flayers". Cthuhlu was a chaos creature of such immense power and magnitude that the very sight of it was enough to make mortal men into gibbering idiots.
Kinda like how the mind flayers turn men into gibbering idiots? :wink:
My friend Andrew has that effect on people. Mostly because he's so HOT

Lord Droke
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Lord Droke »

Hmmm a book I dont have......*begins hunting*
The drow book mention earlier that is....
"Professional assasination is the highest form of public service" - Chiun, Master of Sinanju
Druid523
Wiki Pioneer

Post by Druid523 »

Plot and Poison

And thanks, Ryk. ;-)
DorianHawkwind

Post by DorianHawkwind »

Heh, my comments about the Mad Arab were "tongue-in-cheek". Yes, I do find some interesting similarities between the two as far as reported depictions of them appear to be the same.

I'll have to make sure I stay away from "Andrew" if he causes people to turn into gibbering idiots. :shock: Then again, his ability of "awe" may only affect a very limited sect of people....namely Xanthalas. :P

But I think Silverdragonams hit it on the head. 8) All praise the Wiki.

~D
Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

:D

symlink

Post by symlink »

Wow, cool stuff!

(I hope I didn't hijack the thread too much 0_0)