Magic bags forgotten in Mirtho forge

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

Coco1
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Magic bags forgotten in Mirtho forge

Post by Coco1 »

Forgive me as im not sure, this post belongs here,

but I just went up to use the forge in Mirtho, when i noticed several of magic was left behind. 6 Greater Magic bags and 7 Magic bags.

I have taken screenshots of it, and then taken the bags out. Ill still be on for several of hours, so send a tell to Dala, if or when you log on.

Dala.
Gregpooh
Knight: Church of Pants

Post by Gregpooh »

Hi.
I'm pretty sure those are Seamus'.

I smelted down some stuff right before going to bed at 2:00 am last night.

If you could grab them I would be eternally greatfull. Thanks.

I know there are Mining maces in one and Wisdom Potions in another.. I can continue to list if you like.

If you can grab them before a server reset kills them... I was pretty out of it last night.

GregPooh.
It takes a [b]Viking[/b] to Raze a Village.
corwink
Wiki Pioneer

Post by corwink »

Oh you got lucky someone honest found those. :twisted:
Gone
Gregpooh

Post by Gregpooh »

Tell me about it.

I don't think there's anything irreplaceble in them. Most of that stuff is in bags that are elsewere in inventory. Still it would have been a total pain.

Serves me right for staying up past my bedtime to play.
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Post by Psye Shaar »

Just for future reference, this could have been handled IC'ly... and also could have given some of the 'less honest' PC's out there a chance to attempt to put their persuasiveness to good use :wink:
[i]"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction." [/i]
Blaise Pascal (1623 - 1662)
Gregpooh

Post by Gregpooh »

Psye Shaar wrote:Just for future reference, this could have been handled IC'ly... and also could have given some of the 'less honest' PC's out there a chance to attempt to put their persuasiveness to good use :wink:
Well, we did handle the inquiry and exchange somewhat IC when we got into the game.

I just think this was an instance where its better not to remind characters IG that they're just in a game. As players, we tend to gloss over the fact that our characters are sometimes required to do silly things in order to make the system part of the game function. Dumping bags into a forge is not something A character would really every do, after all. It's like, if you put your shield away and there wasn't enough room and it dropped on the ground. You could RP that a strap broke or something like that, but a shield is an awfully hard thing to miss suddenly going missing from your person (believe me I know) :wink:

Yes, we could have RP'd that he forgot and left them near the forge, but IMO it's stretching things a bit that he would simply forget a dozen bags laying on the ground all around him.

I think it could have been handled either way, but as it straddles the line between in game and in character I don't mind glossing it over.
silverdragonams
Head DM

Post by silverdragonams »

....stretching things a bit that he would simply forget a dozen bags laying on the ground all around him.

No offence Gregpooh, but that is completely illogical. YOU forgot them, so why not Seamus? And why not for the same reasons? People get busy with a job and leave their tools behind because they are tired and distracted all the time.

In any event, its no big deal.
Characters:
[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=Sarakin_Fyne]Sarakin Fyne[/url]

www.anotherworlddesign.etsy.com
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Post by Psye Shaar »

Gregpooh wrote:
Psye Shaar wrote:Just for future reference, this could have been handled IC'ly... and also could have given some of the 'less honest' PC's out there a chance to attempt to put their persuasiveness to good use :wink:
Well, we did handle the inquiry and exchange somewhat IC when we got into the game.

I just think this was an instance where its better not to remind characters IG that they're just in a game. As players, we tend to gloss over the fact that our characters are sometimes required to do silly things in order to make the system part of the game function. Dumping bags into a forge is not something A character would really every do, after all. It's like, if you put your shield away and there wasn't enough room and it dropped on the ground. You could RP that a strap broke or something like that, but a shield is an awfully hard thing to miss suddenly going missing from your person (believe me I know) :wink:

Yes, we could have RP'd that he forgot and left them near the forge, but IMO it's stretching things a bit that he would simply forget a dozen bags laying on the ground all around him.

I think it could have been handled either way, but as it straddles the line between in game and in character I don't mind glossing it over.
A lot of things could 'just be glossed over' but the line you draw will then continue to move further and further towards OOC as too many decide to just make life easier for themselves.

With the amount of random happenings in Hala and Ysgard, it would be quite easy for someone to forget they've left bags at a forge. It's hardly a stretch to post in the Starlight to say that a number of bags had been found at the forge and would have been plenty to notify the person they likely belonged to. If you're worried about contents, an IC post and an OOC PM would ensure your stuff is safe.

To put it bluntly, if it can be dealt with IC'ly (even via tavern boards) then deal with it IC'ly.
[i]"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction." [/i]
Gregpooh

Post by Gregpooh »

and also could have given some of the 'less honest' PC's out there a chance to attempt to put their persuasiveness to good use
This was the worrisome part of your initial post, Psye.
Grief Style Play
CvC should always be IC'ly justified. If you instigate CvC, and you think the other player (not the character) may not be having fun with the situation, perhaps you should stop.
I, personally, would find no fun in the scenario you allude to in the above statement.

There are many things that we can do icly that we choose NOT to do because they might ruin the enjoyment of others playing the game. We have a gentleman's agreement, we don't usually loot corpses, etc. Could it be ICLY explained that Seamus left his bags at the forge? Certainly. However, Seamus is NOT A.D.D. His player IS, and would rather not be reminded of the fact while he's trying to relax and have fun. It causes me enough grief in RL without spilling over into my leisure time. These are my feelings on the matter, and I hope that the Team will respect them, as I try to respect the feelings of others.

Ultimately, we are all here to have fun. Slavish devotion to IC'ness at the expense of the enjoyment of players has killed other servers I've been on. I'd hate to see Hala added to that list.
Last edited by Gregpooh on Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Post by Psye Shaar »

Gregpooh wrote:
and also could have given some of the 'less honest' PC's out there a chance to attempt to put their persuasiveness to good use
This was the worrisome part of your initial post, Psye.
Grief Style Play
CvC should always be IC'ly justified. If you instigate CvC, and you think the other player (not the character) may not be having fun with the situation, perhaps you should stop.
I, personally, would find no fun in the scenario you allude to in the above statement.

There are many things that we can do icly that we choose NOT to do because they might ruin the enjoyment of others playing the game. We have a gentleman's agreement, we don't usually loot corpses, etc. Could it be ICLY explained that Seamus left his bags at the forge? Certainly. However, Seamus is NOT A.D.D. His player IS, and would rather not be reminded of the fact while he's trying to relax and have fun. It causes me enough grief in RL without spilling over into my leisure time. These are my feelings on the matter, and I hope that the Team will respect them, as I try to respect the feelings of others.

Ultimately, we are all here to have fun Slavish devotion to IC'ness at the expense of the enjoyment of players has killed other servers I've been on. I'd hate to see Hala added to that list.
You're going completely off the point here but I'll answer anyway.

What I said was ' a chance to ATTEMPT to put their persuasiveness to good use'. What I didn't say was 'so that the dishonest PC's can rob you blind'.

If an IC post was up and it was replied to by numerous people, then it would be up to Dala as to who she chose to believe. 99% of people would (I hope) treat this as a bit of fun - a great example of someone likely to try his luck, even though he'd undoubtedly fail, would be Grovel. There's no issue of griefing and it can be fun for all involved.

Looting corpses and leaving a few bags in a forge are two entirely different situations and to try to compare them is laughable at best. IC'ly trying to steal the bags may be very IC for another PC, but in the nature of good-sportsmanship, you could often expect them to give you some way of finding out that they had done so. You could even just IC'ly ask Dala who it was she gave them to.

If, however, someone OOC'ly lied to either yourself or Dala - then you would have an argument that it was griefing.
Gregpooh wrote:Ultimately, we are all here to have fun. Slavish devotion to IC'ness at the expense of the enjoyment of players has killed other servers I've been on. I'd hate to see Hala added to that list.
The 'slavish devotion to IC'ness' as you so quaintly put it, is the reason many enjoy and return to Hala/Ysgard as much as they do. We're not as strict as a lot of servers out there, but we do ask that people adhere to our requests that you keep IC wherever and whenever possible - and something as simple as this example falls well within that category.
Gregpooh

Post by Gregpooh »

Since it is such a minor thing, can you not simply accept that, for personal reasons, I would find this situation frustrating and non-enjoyable, and just let it go? Different people get upset by different things. We all have buttons we don't like to have pushed.

I am not asking you to agree with me.. I am no trying to convince you that you are wrong and I am right. I am simply stating my feelings on the matter and asking you to respect them.

This will be my final post on the matter, as it is making my sick to my stomache, and this is not why I play Hala.
Coco1
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Coco1 »

Im very sorry all... :cry:

I havent been writing so many posts during the years, as im not always so sure, where to write the different posts (and not so good at it). I could have kept my post IC by writing it on "the starlight inn section"...i just didnt think about it. I do however see the possibilities regarding RP, if i had been thinking twice.

This post wasnt meant to create a problem out of it, and im sorry to have caused all this to everyone.

Dala.
Gregpooh

Post by Gregpooh »

Coco...

None of this was by any means your fault. You were doing a kindness, and I thank you profusely for what you did.

It just so happens that this episode touched on two things that get me particularly riled up. I do not like to be robbed (not even make-believe robbed.) Had someone else Rp'd lying about the bags and had managed to get them it would have caused very hard feelings for me. Had Seamus found out IC who did it, it would have likely resulted in very harsh reprisals from him, and that's not something I like to do. I think that it leads to bad feelings IRL no matter how much people try to keep things CvC.

Secondly, I am very self conscious about lapses in memory and concentration that plague me from time to time. It is something that causes me frustration and embarrassment in real life. Were I to RP that Seamus had forgotten them it would be (for me) like projecting a weakness of mine onto him. Seamus is an idealized, fantasy character. He is not me. This is one trait of mine that I do not wish him to share.

This was also the 3rd time this month I have left my bags in the forge. Once my brain skips a gear on something like this, it usually happens several times. The first two times I was able to retrieve them myself. Having it happen yet again only increased my frustration level. Should it happen again, and someone posts IC that they have found bags, I will simply send them a PM and try to arrange for their return. I hope that whoever finds them will take pity on me (not Seamus) and be accommodating.

You did nothing but try and be kind and good to another person. I am sorry if I have made you feel bad for that. There is too much unkindness in the world already. Those who choose to take the time to be decent should be celebrated, so, thank you.