Why did you give your character their name?

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

Tremayne7
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by Tremayne7 »

Wow! Some really cool stories. And I understand if some names have in game reasons. :wink:

My GSID is after my favorite pnp Vampires character Tremaine. I was playing him when I got my first email account and the true spelling of his name was taken so I opt'd for the "y". Ever since then, all my Internet ID's if you will are Tremayne :D .

And yes, I answer to that in RL too. :wink:
Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning

"If life is a hankerchief, love is the embrodery that makes it more beautiful." - Alexis Dufresne Montjoie

"A Tyrite, a thief, a ranger and a preppy elf were sitting in a bar with a druidess..." -Aranel
Verandis

Post by Verandis »

My GSID name...

A DM named my character that and internet searches only turned up a porch company. However, I did find a bit of text from some book:
Verdandis, or Verandis, name of the Norna or destiny of the present. Etym: verandi, particle present of the Icelandic verb vera (to be.)
It appears to have also been translated as Verdandi

Did the DM intend this? The world will never know!
Samhaim
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by Samhaim »

Bwa ha ha ...
Kali
Knight: Church of Pants

Post by Kali »

I have been asked a few times how to pronounce Brynjas name. To be honest I don’t know. The name is, from what I understand (I goodeled Ancient Nordic Names) , Nordic with her last name meaning daughter of Einar.

I imagine it sounding Brin-ya Eye-nars-doter. I would love to know how that would likely be pronounced.
Wiki
[url]http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=Brynja_Einarsd%C3%B3ttir[/url]
Tremayne7

Post by Tremayne7 »

Druid523 wrote:Heh. The name is a compounding of four different Latin words, so you'll just have to take your best guess as to the original four words (the last name is pretty easy to figure out). :)
Actually I think I have figured it out. :wink: But want to ask Druid first.
Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning

"If life is a hankerchief, love is the embrodery that makes it more beautiful." - Alexis Dufresne Montjoie

"A Tyrite, a thief, a ranger and a preppy elf were sitting in a bar with a druidess..." -Aranel
p0m
Major DM

Post by p0m »

Kali wrote:I have been asked a few times how to pronounce Brynjas name. To be honest I don’t know. The name is, from what I understand (I goodeled Ancient Nordic Names) , Nordic with her last name meaning daughter of Einar.

I imagine it sounding Brin-ya Eye-nars-doter. I would love to know how that would likely be pronounced.
Just as a quick guide, it's "Breen-yar Eye-nars-dotter".

Yay for Nordic names.
[i]Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers.[/i]
Kali
Knight: Church of Pants

Post by Kali »

Interesting. Thanks for that!
Wiki
[url]http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=Brynja_Einarsd%C3%B3ttir[/url]
Chemical-Burn
Knight of the Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Chemical-Burn »

Meh. I made Star to hang out with Sky on Hala as my first Hala pc. At the time i had never actually seen Sky so i added a generated last name i liked not knowing Sky had no last name. So i tried to come up with a name similar to Sky and so i thought Star. Plus Star is a great prostitute name.
Nastr0nd
Major DM

Post by Nastr0nd »

When I was very little my grandparents had a cat called Danish. I couldn't say that and pronounced it Daneth. That memory has stuck with me over the years.
JD Smith

Post by JD Smith »

Chemical-Burn wrote: Plus Star is a great prostitute name.

Are you saying you intended Star to be a whore during character creation?
A.N. Imus: Simon Colin Bernard
Victoria DeVitale: thankya
Victoria DeVitale: I need something shorter
Victoria DeVitale: Sim?
BPanther
Knight of the Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by BPanther »

No clue. :twisted:
<@HumbugCause> Lir's in and out more than a red light girl's regular :P
<@CoffeeDragon> Sorry Lir, I traded you to Zombie this morning for 2 cookies and a collectible digipokimonster card.
T'Holoth Shadowborn

Post by T'Holoth Shadowborn »

T'Holoth was the true name of a Gold Dragon from the Dragon lance chronicals. T'Holoth (Evenstar) started the whole heros of the lance on the right path to recovering the dragon eggs (circa war of the lands). It also means Tip of the Spear indicating int he battle against evil he is at the forgrand. The first to make contact
[i]Blessed is the mind too small for doubt[/i]
Though I walk through the vally in the shadows of daemons, I shall fear nothing. For I am what the daemon fears.