Prestige classes

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

Ben DeVeny
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Prestige classes

Post by Ben DeVeny »

As I log on, I see people with really unusual classes tacked on to their names. Beast, humanoid, outsider, and so on.
I have never seen any documentation on what these classes are about. I am betting there are many I have never even heard of.
My character Shen is at a crossroads in his life and I would really like to look at some options.

Is it possible to get a list of what the PrC are? Prerequisites, concepts skills, abilities and so on?

Secondly, I was wondering if all PrC are useable on all worlds. If a Dominator of Valok comes over from Avlis, does his PrC work properly?

-thanks
Void Hamlet
Area Builder

Re: Prestige classes

Post by Void Hamlet »

Ben DeVeny wrote:As I log on, I see people with really unusual classes tacked on to their names. Beast, humanoid, outsider, and so on.
These relate to the origin of the character. Like, the Drow race is Humanoid, and suffers restriction of two levels, that is - takes 2 levels "Humanoid" class automatically when created. Not much more than a bunch of hitpoints and the unability to go higher than lvl 38 in any other class. 8)

Other than that, I have not heard PRCs mentioned different than the general ones.
Ben DeVeny wrote:Secondly, I was wondering if all PrC are useable on all worlds. If a Dominator of Valok comes over from Avlis, does his PrC work properly?
Ehm .. Team?
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, and you have to make fortitude saves, you know it's a druid. -Cap'n Charlie
_LuCkY_
Scripter

Post by _LuCkY_ »

Prestige classes should be able to work on any CoPaP world. As Void Hamlet said the Humanoid, Beast and Outsider classes are 'filler' classes used by the Autobic system. These classes get applied automatically when you create a race that suffers from an ECL penalty such as a Drow or Tiefling. This means that you do net get to choose these classes, but they do have consequences:
1) The maximum character level you can reach lowers
2) You need more XP to reach the next level
3) The order of feats you receive changes (when normally you get a feat at level 3, if you get 2 humanoid levels you miss this feat for instance)
4) You do get more HP and better saving throws
5) If for instance you have Outsider levels, you will be treated as Outsider by NWN, so you will also be affected by spells such as Word of Faith. If you have Undead levels, well then you just have to be carefull around clerics :D

And there are probably even more consequences I didn't think of yet.
Ben DeVeny

Post by Ben DeVeny »

Perfect
Thank you both!

(already an outsider by virtue of 20 monk levels. already careful around clerics)
:wink:
Gladenfar

Post by Gladenfar »

(already an outsider by virtue of 20 monk levels. already careful around clerics)
FYI, I know monks are considered outsiders when they reach level 20 but I don't believe they are effected by spells or weapons that would normally effect outsiders. At least they werent last time I tested it.
*smiles*
Ben DeVeny

Post by Ben DeVeny »

I have never actually been turned, but I read somewhere that it happens. Maybe some super cleric would like to test it on me one day just for the sake of nerdism.

-Ben/Shen
Void Hamlet
Area Builder

Post by Void Hamlet »

Ben DeVeny wrote:I have never actually been turned, but I read somewhere that it happens. Maybe some super cleric would like to test it on me one day just for the sake of nerdism.

-Ben/Shen
Super cleric ... nerdism ... Aiq? :D
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, and you have to make fortitude saves, you know it's a druid. -Cap'n Charlie
[ArcanE]
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by [ArcanE] »

Void Hamlet wrote:
Ben DeVeny wrote:I have never actually been turned, but I read somewhere that it happens. Maybe some super cleric would like to test it on me one day just for the sake of nerdism.

-Ben/Shen
*dies laughing* :lol:
Zelle
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Zelle »

[ArcanE] wrote:
Void Hamlet wrote:

-Ben/Shen
*dies laughing* :lol:
*chuckles* I'm sure T'holoth can tell you just how much Aiq loves turning outsiders.

FYI the cleric has to have the right domains for it as well.
<Hoplite> Prop your digging yourself he hugest hole ever bro
<Prophecy67> could be
* Lie takes the shovel from Prophecy67
<Hoplite> Your using a back hoe, drunk, in a china shop
<Prophecy67> The hoe
<Prophecy67> is she cute ?
<Hoplite> Considering your drunk, yes
Aiquandol
Team Member

Post by Aiquandol »

*gets shifty eyes*
I remember when I wasn't in T'holoths party and some undead came by and T'holoth fell over dead. Ahh the good old days.
T'Holoth Shadowborn
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by T'Holoth Shadowborn »

I often remember no undead being around when you "thought you saw something".
[i]Blessed is the mind too small for doubt[/i]
Though I walk through the vally in the shadows of daemons, I shall fear nothing. For I am what the daemon fears.
Sable
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Sable »

-Ben/Shen
assuming monks turn as outsiders, even then it will never happen to a monk because it would be impossible for a cleric to be able to turn one. (assuming hala uses the standard BW turning script) As of SoU (I think) outsiders gained turn resistance equal to their SR. As a 20th level monk has SR of about 30, this means they turn as a 50 HD, 70 by 40th level :? The only chance of it happening is if the cleric has the epic feat, planar turning, which halves the SR for the purposes of turn resistance - so a 20th level monk would only turn as 35 HD :roll:
"Abash'd the Devil stood, And felt how awful goodness is, and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely” John Milton
Gladenfar

Post by Gladenfar »

I do know that weapons with enhancements for "outsiders" do not work against epic monks. I believe the last time I tested this, a +1 blade against outsiders would not penetrate the 20/+1 damage resistance for monks, when a normal +1 blade would of course. This was checked a long time ago however.
*smiles*
_LuCkY_
Scripter

Post by _LuCkY_ »

That might be because the weapon had an attack bonus against outsiders which is substantially different from an enchantment bonus.

Regardless I am fairly sure that lvl20+ monks in NWN are NOT treated as outsiders. This is because the spell scripts check if a creature is an outsider by getting its racial type. For a monk the racial type remains the racial type for his original race (as in human, elf, dwarf, etc). The scripts could easily be altered to also target high level monks though.

Plus there's also the discussion when to treat someone as an outsider. A tiefling on Ysgard is just as likely not to be an outsider as a human on Ysgard.
Khaelindra
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Khaelindra »

I have a Gifted Blade, which does +5 divine damage against ousiders. Easy to check if the extra damage works against Riva. :)
Gary Gygax wrote:
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved.